Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Help catch a poacher >

Help catch a poacher

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Help catch a poacher

Old 10-24-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help catch a poacher

It makes me sick last week Wednesday 10-21-09 I was on my way home from a morning hunt when I saw 2 friends and our WCO Travis Anderson in a field. My friend yelled to me about a deer thinking he shot a deer and they were tracking it with WCO Anderson I pulled over to help. I then found out they were looking at blood from a poached deer. We helped Officer Anderson look for evidence (blood in the field) what we did find was better than blood and it will help the officer put the poacher away so please if you have any info contact the PGC at (724) 238-9523 you don’t need to give your name. It just kills me to work all winter spring and fall with trail cameras to locate a nice buck only to have a scum bag poach it. The incident happened Last week Tuesday 10-20-09 around 11:30 pm in Paint Township outside Windber
Old 10-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

Using scum to describe a poacher is putting it lightly and on here you have to. Let's just say I would almost rate them along with sex offenders and murderer's. That's why I feel they should get jail time. I have a individual near me,whom I turned in 9 times myself. I will even give the scums name; Lionel Frowen!!! This piece of crap has been busted over and over again. He is one of those who knows how to play the system in claiming disability,has not worked for over 20 years. So therefore, he pay's a dollar a month restitution towards his many fines. Another way to put it, he is hunting for $12 a year with unlimited seasons and bag limits.:s6 :
Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Should have some laws on it like up here... Mandatory jail time, loss of weapon involved, loss of vehicle used, and a habitual offender charge that would give them the max in jail time. Poaching is a crime no doubt about it and the state runs opperation game thief. They conviently list a number in the hunting fishing and trapping law books, That still doesn't net all the poachers but I am sure it has helped them nail some of them..
On another note though it may be wrong but some do it to support thier family after being laid off from jobs. They have been turned away from state aid programs due to making to much money the previous year. Most will turn the other cheek from these guys.. But, for the lazy Joe who doesn't want to do nothing except complain and poach all the time I hope they can catch them all..
Old 10-26-2009, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

funny how the same poachers get caught over and over w/nothing being done but a fine and gn taken away. Then they are caught again and the guntaken away. In N Butler county they finnally had to arrest him on a probation violate to get him off the back roads. Otherwise we hasd a very high poach rate and a lot of the bucke we were seeing never made it to the season.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
Should have some laws on it like up here... Mandatory jail time, loss of weapon involved, loss of vehicle used, and a habitual offender charge that would give them the max in jail time. Poaching is a crime no doubt about it and the state runs opperation game thief. They conviently list a number in the hunting fishing and trapping law books, That still doesn't net all the poachers but I am sure it has helped them nail some of them..
On another note though it may be wrong but some do it to support thier family after being laid off from jobs. They have been turned away from state aid programs due to making to much money the previous year. Most will turn the other cheek from these guys.. But, for the lazy Joe who doesn't want to do nothing except complain and poach all the time I hope they can catch them all..
Check this guy out Phil.

A case in point is that of Richard Stoy, a Blair County man convicted of 50 game law violations over 11 years, including 40 for the unlawful taking of trophy bucks.

“He had his hunting license revoked to the year 2060 and kept on poaching and getting arrested,” said Palmer. “He only stopped poaching when he was incarcerated for other crimes having nothing to do with hunting. Otherwise, we could never have thrown him in jail. Of the $14,900 in fines he owed, less than half has ever been paid.”
Old 10-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is why some states perhaps should be looking at what other states are doing to try and stop all this from going on.. Here after 3 or 4 convictions they are labeled a habitual offender. There is most always jail time involved with most poaching of deer and moose ect.. In some cases jail time for taking of game birds as well. Most of the jail time for first time offenders is for 2 days and a $1,000 dollar fine to start with.. It depends on what record the individual has as it could mean stiffer penalties right of the bat..
Of coarse habitual is a whole lot worse.. But how this state does it may not fit the need for another state so that is why I say for states to check other states out as well..
Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

any update on the scum of the earth???
Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bowfly
any update on the scum of the earth???

He's still doing time for drug dealings and other unrelated game law crimes.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I heard on the news the other day about someone in Wyoming County, NY shot a deer from his vehicle with a gun...and his kid was in the vehicle! First of all it's only archery season! Greedy for antlers...geesh
Old 10-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

definitely need to up the ante fer poachers