Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Is this Archery? >

Is this Archery?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Is this Archery?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

i read the description, it is a crossbow on a rifle looking stock, big deal
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM
Spike

I have been reading the responses and i do have an opinion (they are like a*^holes, everybody has them). First off i hunt with a compound and my good friend hunts with a recurve. We were discussing the crossbow situation and came to the conclusion that our sport is a dying sport. People are just not hunting anymore or passing it along to the next generation. If the use of crossbows gets more people involved in our sport then I am for it. I will probably get hammered for that opinion but it is mine and i will stand behind it.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Spike

To me hunting is hunting and i'm ok with any means of meat in the freazer ,
Old 10-23-2009, 02:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
A modern decked out compound is as far from traditional archery as you can get. Or are you talking about your own "tradition"?

So the 98% plus of compounds shot with a release/ aka trigger are guns?
By "traditional archery" I meant pulling a string and holding it back with your arms till you release it. A release or "trigger" as you call it on a compound bow is not the same a a trigger on a crossbow. With a crossbow, you have nothing to hold on your own. The trigger on a crossbow releases an arrow that is being held for you. That is no different than a loaded gun with just less velocity. The release on a compound is an option and not everybody uses one. It is still used in conjunction with your own arms to hold back the string. Yes compound bows have made pulling and holding easier but you still have to do it with your own strength. As I said, I would use a crossbow during gun or muzzle season though.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows are not archery but I'm starting to think their inclusion isn't going to be as big of a deal as I originally thought.Something like described earlier is getting out of hand however.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

What I don't get is why its such a big deal, if you don't want to use a xbow during archery season don't. If someone else does, how is it going to make any difference to you. Now if a xbow made a big bang like a shotgun or rifle and had the deer all running for their lives or going nocturnal that is one thing. I don't see someone using a xbow a few properties over making my compound bow hunting any different.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

boringgggggggg.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I had two xgunners trespass on me, block the driveway and leave their car doors open, and wound a doe a few years back, I heard the shot from almost 200 yards away. Them things do make a hell of a racket. One shooter on your property will spook all the game off it. The deer scatter like hell when them things go off. They did not follow up on the shot BTW.

The topic was actually if they fit in archery, given the nature of them versus a drawn bow.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livbucks
When I had two xgunners trespass on me, block the driveway and leave their car doors open, and wound a doe a few years back, I heard the shot from almost 200 yards away. Them things do make a hell of a racket. One shooter on your property will spook all the game off it. The deer scatter like hell when them things go off. They did not follow up on the shot BTW.

The topic was actually if they fit in archery, given the nature of them versus a drawn bow.
I have tried out top end crossbows to see what all the hoopla was about.

I do not own one, never plan on hunting with one, and personally do not understand why physically capable people would want to use them?

They are awkward unless you get a reverse mount design where the limbs are actually mounted backwards on the stock.

They are louder than any decent compound.

It would be nearly impossible to shoot one directly out of the back of your treestand.

The velocity and energy is similar to a top end compound, and effective range is no farther.....despite what this article claims.

They do have an advantage when it comes to drawing in the presence of game. That is a fact. I have successfully drawn in the presence of various big game animals over 200 times now, so that fact does not bother me.

They do have an advantage with beginners accuracy. it is slightly easier for a novice archer to become marginally proficient with a good quality crossbow than with a compound. However, when we are talking about shooting both weapons offhand, in the hands of a skilled archer the vertical compound is vastly superior. This fact is proven by multiple archers every single year at national and world target archery tournaments around the globe.

The point is often made that crossbows are for people who are too lazy to learn how to shoot a vertical bow. Sad as it is to admit the truth, I have seen just how lazy many vertical bow hunters can be. I have been the president of archery at a rather large archery club for many, many years, and have witnessed things on a regular basis that made me shudder. I have donated more time, and even equipment in an effort to help some of the archers who would accept help to get themselves and their equipment right prior to taking to the field than I care to remember.

Crossbow inclusion this year is new to PA. I fully expect to see an increase in hunters, and crossbow usage. I fully expect that increase to diminish rapidly as the previously gun only hunters will soon realize that the crossbow alone does not help with scent control, camouflage, or the knowhow needed to close the distance. That is NOT a knock on gun only hunters, it is simply my opinion as to how this will play out. I think full crossbow inclusion will add to our ranks in the longterm, and I think that is a good thing.

Crossbows are not the devils spawn, and out of the 100 people nationwide that will own a TAC-15, not a single one of them will EVER see a one inch-100 yard group out of their crossbow, not even off of sandbags.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

One shooter on your property will spook all the game off it.
That simply is not true. I have seen deer that didn't even respond to the report of centerfire rifles fired within 100 yds of the deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.