Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer and Cows

Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Deer and Cows

I have this neibor that is or can be an a$$ at times .
Seems like every hunting season its something new .
Ive never seen the gut hunt on his land in the last 6 years .
Although his son has been more every year for the last 4 years or so .
I dont have a problem at all with it ,
I own abought 80 acres , and my boarder line witch borders his land is mostly wooded with some small clearings ,
His is mostly field with woods boardering it .
He has abought 30 or more beef cows , 3 years ago he put a fence up a long way own the field for the cows to graze , no problem they were at least 500 yards from me ,
2 years ago he put the fence back further twards my stands so they came up to 300 yds or so from me .
No problem its his land and he has every right to .
This year the cows are all the way back to our dividing boarder line , so ther now grazing within 10 yds from my stand and more .
Realy seems to be keeping the deer away ..
Again nothing I can do as long as there on his land ..BUT the old fence that keeps them on his land is old and its hit and miss if its there at all .
Now the cows are coming on my property and seem to be keeping the deer away ??
Anyone else ever see cows and deer anywhere close to one another ??
The one night I got a chance to hunt 1 of the stands all I seen were a doe and fawn that were a coupke hundered yards from the cows ,,AARRGGGHH..
Last night sounded like the cows were on my hunting lot roamng the woods as all I herd was mooing,,,

So question is if he keep his cows out all season will it also keep the deer from using the same general area ??
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

His fences must be in good shape or call the sherriff. He can fence and graze all he likes on HIS property. I would try and talk w/him and ask that he keep his fenmces in working order. Deer feed in cow lots but it is not where I really want to hunt them. Those cows have probably eaten a lot of the browse thew deer would eat.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:56 AM
Spike

Possesion is 9/10's of the law! If the cows are on your property, i would say there wouldn't be much room in the freezer for venision with all of that beef. We had the same problem with the amish horses getting out and wandering throughout our property. A friend of ours, a State Police officer said "possesion is 9/10's of the law" meaing i guess we could have had a couple of horse's after that. It didn't come to that.
I would say approch the farmer and let him know his cows slip the fence and maintenance need to be done to it. If i keeps up and becomes a nuciance, notify the local police and let them handle it. I have beef cows and if mine got out routinly i would be fixing my fence, making it better, and having to pay for nieghbors landscaping.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I would go try to talk to the guy first, maybe even offer to give him a hand. I think its always better to try the nice guy approach first, instead of just calling the cops at the first sign of a problem. as for cow's bothering deer, its been my experience that the cows don't concern them too much. I think the deer would eventually become conditioned to the cows being around.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Typical Buck

i agree with gmil, try to be the better person, it may work out
Old 10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Not trying to be ...

Its not that I,m trying to be an a$$ to him,
Although he was to me and also practicaly bellered at my wife on the phone a few years ago over a few pieces of brush that he claim i put on his side of the fence .
Just makes me sour over all the bs his son and he has done over the years .
Being the guy and trying to be a stand uo hunter , I will give him a call if I find the cows are tramping around my stand locations in the future ....
Out again last night , same stand and same herd of 44 or so beef cows ..
Just anoys me as I dont have a lot of days off to hunt as it is ..
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

not trying to sound like an ass myself, but you have 80 acres and you can only hunt that ONE spot? why not avoid more problems and try to relocate if you dont want to get in a confrontation.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

I ebelive whoever stated about posssesion being 9/10 of the law is correct. had the same problem with some goats a while back. Local authorities stated that if you can catch them on your property they belong to you. If he is being a jerk...be one back. Beef is excellent eating.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

not trying to sound like an ass myself, but you have 80 acres and you can only hunt that ONE spot? why not avoid more problems and try to relocate if you dont want to get in a confrontation
It is my property and ON IT I am king! Wht should i hunt somewhere else on my property? Cut the PC go and talk w/ him about cow tresspass or whatever. If he doesn't respond appropriately you tried. Call the sherriffs, don't kill the cow and go by some obscure notion that killing a mans beef will not come back on you, or this 9/10ths possesion thing. Call the sherriff let him handle it, call the ASPCA report him for not taking care of his cows (they have ot respond and investigate) because his fences are not up and they are walking towards the road, dangerous your wife and chldren feel threatened by these unpenned cows etc. .
Old 10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Spike

1st thing to do is use spell check or relearn our language and how to spell. I know i am nitpicking but man look at your writing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.