Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
First Day of PA archery >

First Day of PA archery

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

First Day of PA archery

Old 10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The loudest I hear anyone complaining is you.From people stealing your stuff to killing all the deer,it's no wonder you left.Glad you're happy now.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
Thanks.I had a cool day on saturday.I didn't see anything in the morning but I had to climb down by 9:00am to catch my son's soccer game.I headed out to a new spot around 3:00 and decided to call alittle just before 4:00.I grunted real soft a couple of times and then hit the can twice.Within a minute,a big mature doe came strait in and stopped at 37 yards.I didn't like the angle and knew she'd get close.She came a little closer and I put a slick trick through her just as she turned broadside.She bolted the way she came and tipped over about 40 yards away.I got down,tagged her and climbed back up.About an hour later I used the same calling sequence and had another doe come strait in from infront of me.She hung around for at least another 20 minutes,sometimes as close as 5 yards.A little while later,I heard something coming from the direction where the first doe came.It wasn't the shuffling sound that squireels make so I focused on that spot.Soon a small flock of gobblers walked by just out of would be bow range.I turned to my right and caught a nice buck moving in front of me from left to right.He was within bow range but behind a bunch of grape vines.I thought for sure he was gonna hit one of my shooting lanes but he ended up keeping cover between us the whole time.As soon as he got out of sight,I grunted to him and hit the can.Almost immediately another doe,that I didn't see,came crashing in from about 40 yards away and stood right under my stand.It was a great afternoon to be in the woods with all kinds of excitement.I'll let that spot cool off for about a week and hit it again when the wind it right.

How many of the doe you killed so far were on TL?
Old 10-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had two doe at a pond tonight 62 yards away. Usually deer that hit the pond come right on by my tree but tonight it was just not to be.

Got an interesting show for my time tonight. Had what I first thought was two chipmunks chasing around my tree but when they tangled, I heard a tiny snarling sound unlike any chipmunk or squirrel. I grabbed the binos and it was a weasel tangling with a really big chippy. Even stranger was that the weasel ran off and the chipmunk was definitely torn up bad. I checked him with the binos again and his hindquarters were torn and bleeding and he didnt seem to have any use of his left hind leg. He was still alive but he literally dragged his back half as he crawled away.

Of course when I got to my truck, dad had to tell me that three deer were grazing in his yard 20 feet from my truck an hour before dark.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, were you hunting on your Dad's property or were you hunting on your Dad's neighbors property?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dads ground. On the back corner of his 5 vast acres. Not posted nor is the neighbors. Why?

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 10-12-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by cardeeer
Forgot all about the season. Usually I see cars parked around , but didnt see any this year to remind me the season opened.I was in WV anyway grooming my heard of 70 deer. Not hunting just watching. I will take one buck later in WV rifle season. Dont want to be a hog. I am disabled and have not got my WV X-bow permit yet. That 1800 dollar x-bow will pobably rot in the corner never use it again.. certainly boring hunting in Pa compared to WV anyway. I did not even buy a Pa license this year. I will let all of you slaughter the doe,and according to the this report anyway ,thats what seems to be happening again. Pa hunters need something to complain about. Hammer the doe Whopee.
most of us dont hunt to much until 2 weeks before archery ends .mostly you have doe hunters out now trying to fill freezer. its not so easy to do that also .many dont tag their deer now and are very secretive and its hard to get anything out of most.i have not heard of 1 person who got deer but i see the cardboard boxes heading into homes.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
How many of the doe you killed so far were on TL?

All three were on TL property.The next several will be on public property.I have one more dmap tag left for TL and I'm saving it for the late season.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
most of us dont hunt to much until 2 weeks before archery ends .mostly you have doe hunters out now trying to fill freezer. its not so easy to do that also .many dont tag their deer now and are very secretive and its hard to get anything out of most.i have not heard of 1 person who got deer but i see the cardboard boxes heading into homes.
You see cardboard boxes being hauled into house?lolThe stories never seem to end.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
You see cardboard boxes being hauled into house?lolThe stories never seem to end.
yes, carboard boxes means DOE MEAT