Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
How much time do you spend "scouting" >

How much time do you spend "scouting"

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: How much time do you spend deer scouting?
I scout all year as often as I can
75.00%
I scout 1-3 months before the season
6.25%
I scout 1-3 weeks before the season
6.25%
I scout 1-5 days before season
0%
I dont need to scout, I know my hunting area
6.25%
I dont scout at all, Its a waste of time
6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

How much time do you spend "scouting"

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How much time do you spend "scouting"

How much time do you spend scouting in the off season?

Include time in the woods but also include time spent cruising back roads looking for new spots, spotting, developing relationships with and working for landowners, even improving habitat and planting etc.

I believe its a 365 day a year activity. There's never a bad time to cruise a back road, to talk to a landowner, to take a walk......
Old 09-28-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
How much time do you spend scouting.................

I believe its a 365 day a year activity. There's never a bad time to cruise a back road, to talk to a landowner, to take a walk......

My approach, exactly.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

As you define scouting, I scout 365 days a year. But when I said I scouted by watching a major crossing while sitting in my driveway you dismissed it and made fun of me . make up your mind if you have one.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
As you define scouting, I scout 365 days a year. But when I said I scouted by watching a major crossing while sitting in my driveway you dismissed it and made fun of me . make up your mind if you have one.

Interesting!

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll add a choice that should fit for you....

I tried to add an option but it appears thats not possible. I'd suggest that either # 1 or #5 would fit best for you

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 09-28-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I answered the poll based on your definition of scouting and based on your definition ,I definitely scout more than you do and probably more than anyone on this MB.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

While hunting during the late season muzzle loader,I like to still hunt. This method allows me to hunt for deer and new area's. I go out at least two Sunday's per month traveling the back roads for new area's. Particularly like to check these area's just after the late muzzle loader season through March. Especially if snow is on the ground. Start watching the deer themselves come August. Both visually and with trail cameras. Always checking for deer sign while spring turkey hunting. Always go out every Sunday(if need be) during archery season to keep up with the constant change of how the deer are moving as fall progresses.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Greg. Late muzzy is a great time to explore new territory.

We actually do the same thing in early muzzy as well. A few of us takes an extra day or two and we go to camp and explore new areas in 2F and the ANF. Still hunting in October is kinda neat too!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
I agree Greg. Late muzzy is a great time to explore new territory.

We actually do the same thing in early muzzy as well. A few of us takes an extra day or two and we go to camp and explore new areas in 2F and the ANF. Still hunting in October is kinda neat too!

Anytime you get a chance to learn a new area is a good time!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

What about me? I can't vote!

I scout from the the beginning of the late flinter season until the end of spring gobbler. Other than checking the trailcam on the fringe areas and putting one ladder stand in back in July, I spend very little time in the areas that I plan to hunt until I have the stand on my back and the bow in my hands. Up here, it's all about food and slowly moving into the zone. Push it to hard, and the deer are on the next ridge.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My family and I enjoy seeing the deer year round. Fawns are always fun to see. We supplement and plant for year round feed. I have to know what they are looking like and what they are feeding on, you know like the PGC is supposed to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.