HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   ok maine guys whats happening (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/304820-ok-maine-guys-whats-happening.html)

baileym62 09-24-2009 07:17 PM

ok maine guys whats happening

hey fellow mainers hows the season goin i got my first with a bow on monday 8 pt 208 lbs ill post pics when i figure it out.. what everyone got

baileym62 09-25-2009 04:51 PM

dont tell me im the only mainer on here

Phil from Maine 09-25-2009 05:15 PM

I haven't gone archery hunting as of yet.. I am hoping to shortly but have to much to do before the snow flys.. I have been scouting out moose for an October 12th hunting season.. I tried calling one in on the way home from work last Sunday and have a pic posted in the big game forum.. Also I have an Indian friend that bagged a nice 6 point moose yesterday during an elderly hunt.. I am glad for him and he had his work cut out.. That is on the same forum post as well with a pic of his moose going up tomorrow after I get home from work.. Congrats on your buck as well.. Nice shooting and hunting as well..

baileym62 09-28-2009 10:53 AM

phil where are you located and where are you moose hunting ive been a few times and maybe could give you some ideas good to know someone else from maine here im from china (near waterville ) and have a family camp in jackman. good luck with the moose

Phil from Maine 09-28-2009 03:44 PM

I am about 20 miles north of Calais and will be hunting area 19.. It's the same area I have grown up in... So I am hoping to get a shot at one.. If you get a chance check out I tried calling a moose thread in the big game forums.. I called out a monster but it is a lot harder to call them in for me during the October hunt I have..

Phil from Maine 10-05-2009 01:43 PM

I tried my luck at calling a moose this morning.. as I am getting the itch for moose hunting next monday and it can not get here soon enough!! Here is a pic of what I called out this morning.. I posted this in the big game forum under I tried calling a moose this morning...

baileym62 10-11-2009 12:27 PM

good luck with the moose i hope you can call him back again nothing wrong with him just curios due to reading some debates about firearms lately what youll be using for a rifle

Phil from Maine 10-11-2009 03:17 PM

Call me crazy if you wish my weapon of choice is a bow with my sub-permitee backing me up with a 30-06... I just want the max in the challenge.. That moose I called last monday came in to me at around 20 yards.. I am estimating that one to be between 1000 to 1100 lbs.. He was a real monster of a moose for these parts. Calling him out again will prove difficult to say the least as he has now paired up with a couple of cows..

BTBowhunter 10-11-2009 03:42 PM

If you don't mind hearing from a PA guy, Congrats on that buck Bailey!!!!

And as for you Phil, I'll be up my tree monday morning waiting for a PA deer but something tells me those moose pics you've posted will still be a bouncin around in the old noggin. Best of luck and be safe out there!!! A bunch of us are pullin for ya!!!

Phil from Maine 10-11-2009 05:04 PM

I speak for myself and I do not mind at all.. Good luck in your stand BT.. Those moose pics and all keep bouncing around in my head ever since I saw those. Knowing I can give it a try finally after all these years waiting and trying.. Thanks everyone for wishing me some good luck on this hunt..

baileym62 10-12-2009 07:53 AM

if anybody minds hearing from an out of state guy they dont really need to be on a national site , just my .02 .. bt good luck i just came through pa a couple of weeks ago went to salem virginia fora national softball tourny awesome country saw tons of deer would love to come hunt it someday anyway good luck cant wait to see some pics of your kills.. What are the limits/restrictions for you guys. i know here we are only able to harvest one deer with a rifle which is why i got into bow hunting the expanded season but now im hooked ad havent even looked at my rifle since.

phil i would not call you crazy with the backup i had decide to do the same if i were chose this year for a moose definitley interested in how it works out and what kindoff takle you use for future reference. My uncle owns a hunt park im gonna go shoot a red deer meat hunt, check it out im not sure off the hunt park idea but its 200 aqcres fenced and animals are as wild as any from what i can tell, anyways im gonna try my bow if i get a within range shot if not ill have my rifle as well. have been shooting rage but thinking more like muzzy for the bigger animal ( more penetration ) let me know how you make out.

baileym62 10-12-2009 07:57 AM

hey bt one more question i thought the deer ther looked smaller but bigger racks than ours here had i had to many or was i correct, maybe just time of year, just curios as to what is a trophy for you

BTBowhunter 10-12-2009 10:02 AM

Our limit is one buck for the season no matter what weapon is used and the doe limit depends on the management unit. We can essentially get unlimited doe tags for some areas. I've harvested as many as 10 does plus my buck by utilizing different management units.

Our bucks do run smaller but our average age is probably less than yours. I have a brother in law who has hunter up your way and he tells me the deer are far fewer but far bigger at least in body size.

As far as a trophy for me, I tend to hold out for a Pope and young minimum buck or 125". My philosphy is to shoot does for venison and wait for a nice one before I use that one buck tag I get. My best PA deer was 129 6/8 but I also had a 5 year old with two broken tines that made 125"

I also hunt Illinois and look for 140+ when I'm out that way.

If you ever find the opportunity to hunt PA, feel free to drop me an email or a PM I'll be happy to show you some great places to hunt. Theres actually a good amount of land in the Northwest part of the state that is eirther public ground or private but wide open to hunters and some darn good hunting. Especially to a guy willing to do a little walking which I understand is fairly common up your way.

baileym62 10-13-2009 06:30 AM

yeh its not uncommon to do some walking for me. not as much were i live its smaller woods but weve got a camp in jackman and you could walk for days there if you didnt have a knowledge of the area or a good compass/gps

skybuster20ga 10-13-2009 07:06 AM

i satill think its good to have a sense of direction up there. we hunt hard up around bingham solon and moscow and over to eustis and ive gotten on iron beds as big as a few acres and my compass was going hay wire!!! i cary two compasses and both were spining and straightlinging then half turns and straightlining again...pretty crazy. ive tracked bucks through that particualr section more then once and it always happens in there. cant beat the big woods for big bucks

Phil from Maine 10-14-2009 02:05 AM

I have had the same thing happen.. I would be following the compass and it kept me in a cedar swamp for quite some time.. After a while I decided to choose a tree to get some sort of a direction from. I then picked another tree and so forth inorder to find my way out of there. I now use a compass and a gps and I have less of a problem.. Where I live up here it is mostly woods no matter where you go..

baileym62 10-15-2009 03:41 PM

congrats phil on the moose will be some great meat too bad you didnt get to try the bow on him i was really interested in how that worked out for you

skybuster20ga 10-15-2009 05:02 PM

theres this t-shirt in the new whitetail magazine that says

"use a GPS......its awkward whe you have to eat your buddies" lol

btw, you still didnt give any details on the kill phil!!!

Phil from Maine 10-16-2009 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by baileym62 (Post 3471829)
yeh its not uncommon to do some walking for me. not as much were i live its smaller woods but weve got a camp in jackman and you could walk for days there if you didnt have a knowledge of the area or a good compass/gps

I was hoping to get it with my bow my friend.. I can not apply for at least 2 more years now but as you know I can be a sub. i have made it clearer that I want to shoot one with a bow. So if my sub gets drawn I will sub for him with a better understanding. I would be using a Bowtech Constitution with a 60lb draw wieght. i know a few that have choosen the bow and stated that the moose may go around 50 yards if you are lucky.
I was set up with using Magnus 125 grain 2 blades..

Phil from Maine 10-16-2009 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by skybuster20ga (Post 3474511)

btw, you still didnt give any details on the kill phil!!!

We started out around 15 minutes later than planned so we never really started hunting at the time I wanted to. We drove down a dirt road and stopped and talked to a logger and a mechanic that was working on a log truck. I asked them if they had been seeing any moose on the roads. They stated not for a while. The road that we was on we traveled for a total of 5 1/2 miles and turned left and drove for another 2 1/2 miles before turning a right into an old cutting from a year and a half ago. We drove into this road for roughly 1 mile and stopped to try calling as there was fresh moose tracks in the mud. ( I had found this place scouting earlier. )
I called and we wiated for about 15 minutes with a steady wind blowing. I did not think 1 would come to the calling because of the wind. We then drove into the rest of the road, which was about another mile. When we drove back out to where I was calling a moose was standing in the cutting. The moose was only about 20 yards from us but due to the leaves we couldn't see any antlers. So we thought this was a cow moose. I tried calling some more hoping to see a bull that I thought should of been with her. When she was about 45 yards I thought I could see a small set of antlers but wasn't sure. When it got out to around 65 yards on a ridge we both could see the antlers then.
My sub mentioned our agreement that the first bull we see would be shot. So I said go ahead then as that was what we had agreed to ealier on. He shot it with a Savage 30-06 using a 150 grain bullet. He shot it low into the front shoulder and the moose ran about another 65 yards into the woods. I went in and tracked it. It had left no blood trail but was fairly easy to find because of the size of its tracks. I came across some rasberry bushes that looked like the moose had a hard time going threw them. I turned and looked to my left and there was the moose laying there. It was killed by the first shot. Upon field dressing it I discovered both lungs to look OK as well as the heart. The bullet did enter the ribcage just in front of the heart and lungs so I am thinking he got lucky and hit the main artery to the heart and that is why it died quickly.
Now let me tell you trying to drag an animal this size out of the Maine woods up here is not an easy task. We did get him out after 5 1/2 hours of steady work using a come-a-long, chains, and rope. But we did it and mission accomplished even though I would of like to try for a bigger moose with a wall hanger rack that tourists would like as well as myself..

P.S. I was using a Quakerboy Cow Grunt tube that I purchased about 20 years ago and it still works great today. I let a friend use it ealier this year and he got a 6 pointer with it. He was very happy with the results of this call. Now he wants to record me using the call. So, that he can get one out during the rest of his hunts in the future. He is an Indian that can hunt yearly and is around 70 years old. I have known him for quite some time and we have been great friends over the years..

baileym62 10-16-2009 04:27 AM

sweet nice when it works quickly on my hunt in 99 i diddnt get a shot at one untill ten minutes left on last day i had already packed up my rifle and everything had to get it out of the case find bullets in bags and run up the road loading to where he was then he had alread walked another 10 yards making a 200 yard shot with win 30-06( out of breath too) first shot terrible guts second high spine drpped him

skybuster20ga 10-16-2009 02:42 PM

lol nice story. all the moose hunts me and my ftaher have been on and guided we used a birch bark call and a coffee can......

baileym62 10-18-2009 04:51 AM

went to jackman yesterday to camp rode around intill 9.30 shot four birds saw 11 moose and 3 moose hunters that were very happy to see us when we took them to moose . funny though most of them look p#$%ed off as you approach them and say your bird hunting. then you tell them to follow you and youll show them a moose they turn into your b est friend. huh! all well i helped them with the fun part finding one, and watched the shooting and left for the hard work getting it to the truck. still glad to help i guy from nh shot a cow another from green area shot a bull probley 700 and another from prtland shot one bout 600 nothing monsterous but they filled there tags

baileym62 10-18-2009 04:53 AM

not a one of these guys had set foot in there zone untill the day the hunt started. no wonder they couldn find a moose

Phil from Maine 10-18-2009 03:39 PM

I know a few from this area that never filled thier tags as well.. Some of these guys did do some scouting but still had no luck. The moose werre acting strange at times. But mostly it was due to poor calling or using the wrong calls. I was told my calls were not going to work for me as well. I guess I proved some of them wrong.. I was also asked to guide some guy for $200 a day. But not being a guide myself I told him I couldn't take any money from him. However I did offer to help him out if he wanted me to. He never responded to that so I think he was trying to set me up or something.. I do not know how that guy made out though..

baileym62 10-19-2009 11:00 AM

sounds fishy** would really bite to try and help someone and have them bag you or something** one of these guys gave my buddy and i a case of beer out of ther cooler and said to meet them at the bar that night theyed buy but my daughter had hockey and i had to go home** would probley never take money anyway*** just hope theyde help me out in future. anyway i hadnt sent in since 99 but did this yaer cause my girlfriend wanted to get one and will continue to try for my daughter will be hunting in two years and she really wants to shoot one so ill try to get one and let them have the fun.* sopped apllying to give others a better chance since id already got one.* Maybe if more people did that more people would get them......* i know some guys, or at least there immediate family that get drawn every year it seems others that have been trying since beginning and never been drawn.

Phil from Maine 10-19-2009 04:35 PM

You are right about the fact some never get drawn it seams.. I have a friend who has a tag almost every year and this year his son and himself got tags. The had cow tags this year and had zone 28. That is one of the toughest zones I know of and when I last talked with them have had no luck. That was last Thursday so I am not to sure if they had taken one or not.. I also know a few others that have gotten tags almost every year as well. Some just can not seam to get drawn at all. This tag was my first one ever and I have applied ever since they first started it.. It felt great to be able to hunt them for once.. Though not really the bull I would have like to have gotten I am still proud of it..

baileym62 10-20-2009 06:21 PM

yeh m dad has been trying since beginning and just got one last . we tookmy daughter and she loved it the whole time we were bird hunting she was depressed cause we couldnt shoot the moose but she watched all three shoot this weekend as well as my dads last year and loved evry minute. she goes duck hunting and turkey too with me. This year ive bought a new ground blind and ill be taking her deer hunting some. she shoots a 16 lb bow and a red ryder bb gun, maybe i created a monster

baileym62 10-25-2009 05:02 PM

let her at the 22 today she loved it wants to sell her bb gun now i guess ill have to buy her a 22 for chrismas, thinking chipmunk cause of her size anyone had any exp. with them are they any good

baileym62 10-30-2009 11:00 AM

hey everyone just wanted to let you know that ill be in the woods allday tommorow my dad has pics of a monster on his trail camers and im gonna get him dont care if it is raining or not. my neighbor has been seeing him all summer and now hes on our property got pics from 15 days in a row at the same spot same time coming from the same direction just gonna set up on his trail befor where he crosses my dads stand ( he would do it to me dont worry) jk... will everybody else be sticking out the rain or will you be haeter hunting, ill probley see a mix myself good luck mainers keep us all posted on what happens

Phil from Maine 10-30-2009 03:08 PM

Good Luck to you I will be working and wishing I was out there.. Maybe Monday afternoon and evening I will get a chance to hunt..

baileym62 10-30-2009 04:17 PM

work no way not on opening day id already be sick or looking for a job

good luck to you as well when you get out

skybuster20ga 11-01-2009 01:45 PM

you dont wanna kill one this early do ya?? my ol man and i went but we werent too serious about shooting anything. at about 100 i had crouched down near a stone wall to cool off a minute and a ****in 6 pointer come hyper grunting right up to me at 8 yds. probably abou7t 140/150 pounder. cute little fella. i winked at him and he trotted off. very cool. i decided to go home and watch the rest of the bruins game after that since i diodnt plan on pullin the trigger anyhow. headed up to camp on tuesday for a week. good luck fellas

Phil from Maine 11-02-2009 01:53 AM

I haven't got any problem if I happen to see a nice buck or just the little guy. With my job schedule and all that is going on right now it is not going to matter even a little bit. If it has antlers it fair game.. Right now I am getting ready to head out.
Then I will be back to check on my gram at the nursing home. Priest has already been in and I do not think she has more than a day or two left.. She has lived longer than most of us will so it pretty much her time now.. It is just waiting now and that looks to be just about over..

Champlain Islander 11-02-2009 03:32 AM

Good luck Phil and my sympathies for your Gram.
Frank

Phil from Maine 11-02-2009 01:49 PM

Thanks CI, no luck today but did see alot of sign just nothing moving as it was pretty warm this afternoon.. I will be going to check up on things with my gram shortly. I just do not know how much longer it will be for her.. I am expecting it at anytime right now..

baileym62 11-08-2009 01:02 PM

sorry to hear that phil,

baileym62 11-08-2009 01:07 PM

skybuster yeh id shoot one now i still have an unlimited amout of doe tags for the expanded archery, just have to keep buying them. and pressure in my bow spot has pretty much gone away now that rifle season has started. i hunt bow behind a spot that my buddy works and he had told me about two big bucks that hes seen when he leaves in the am (he works nights) the one i already shot was an 8 pointer wieghed 208 he since has told me that the other one is bigger and i should havce waited...... ill be pi##ed when i see him and have to shoot the doe hes chasing though.

skybuster20ga 11-08-2009 02:09 PM

hahaha nice. i just got home from bingham. had some good fresh snow and it took over 100 road miles barley idl;ing to even cut a buck track and he was a little guy. they need to shut down the top half of the state. the deer heard is in poor poor shape. our friends that run the taggin station have tagged 6 deer so far.......and its not that the deer "just arent movin" its that their just ain any. we went into spots where we have killed some whoppers and places where ive tracked bucks before and some other places whwere we have always found deer and there was nothin. a coiuple biscuit tracks but they wont make the winter i dont believe

Phil from Maine 11-08-2009 02:33 PM

Thanks baileym62, she had passed on and I was at the funeral Saturday.. I will be working 5 days and 2 nights this week.. So I will only be able to get out there Saturday morning for a while.. Hopefully I will see one then. I agree with skybuster20ga though. There is not an awfull lot of deer up this way now and the winters have raised ol heck with our deer herd. There is still pockets of them though and I have found alot of scraping activity. I am thinking mostly young bucks and that is OK with me if I happen to see one.. I am not overly concerned though I enjoy getting out there.t week with what time I had I did see a doe every once and a while. No bucks around her though..