Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Article On NY AR >

Article On NY AR

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Article On NY AR

Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

Good points bluebird, and that totally debunks the "sample shift" theory.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by mlo31351270
No matter what the rules are I would still hunt. Antler Restrictions Does not mean "no hunting". Some of the so-called meat hunters are more hung up on antlers than the trophy hunters. The only difference is they like small antlers. If I was strictly a meat hunter I would shoot the first doe that walked by and not worry about antler restrictions. More than likely a doe will be the first animal you'll see anyway.
I am not hung up on antlers. If a doe is the first thing that walks in front of me and I have a doe tag...dead doe. If a buck is the first thing that walks in front of me, whether it is a spike or a 150" 10 point, dead buck. It is not only about meat to me. I love the entire hunting experience. I do not agree with AR's because I want to be able to choose if I want to shoot that spike that just walked out in front of me or if I want to wait for a larger deer.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do all NY hunters have a doe tag so they can make the choice to which you referred?
Bow or mz gets an either/or tag. If you get both bow and mz, its 1 antlerless and 1 either/or.

Regular season (gun) gets a buck only and can draw up to 2 doe tags - lottery based on wmu's. About 40 % of the wmu's are low or no chance for the dmp's. Even in the high probability dmu's, you can not draw. With AR, there is a very good chance a regular season hunter good go several seasons not seeing a deer to legally shoot - unless they want to travel or take up archery/mz. Regular season hunters (no bow or mz) represent well over 50% of the big game licenses sold.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
And you don't???
exactly how do i sound like a broken record-i didnt say anything other than you made your point in the last thread about this. You guys keep sayin the same thing over and over. We got the point. you are not in favor of ARs. Enjoy it while it lasts cuz u know as well as i do ARs are goin to be a part of hunting in NY sooner or later whether you or i like it. If NY knew how much revenue a quality deer heard brings in to states like Illinois,Iowa,Kansas,etc ARs would probably be more prevalent than they are now. And revenue is what will be the ultimate factor whether ARs are implemented. You and i know it.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Enjoy it while it lasts cuz u know as well as i do ARs are goin to be a part of hunting in NY sooner or later whether you or i like it. If NY knew how much revenue a quality deer heard brings in to states like Illinois,Iowa,Kansas,etc ARs would probably be more prevalent than they are now. And revenue is what will be the ultimate factor whether ARs are implemented. You and i know it.
Whats that sound - a needle stuck? You just repeated the same stuff from about 1/2 your posts

Not one of the states you listed has AR - nor any other program so the guys who think a trophy is a 2 1/2 yo 8 pt can get his jollies without working for it. AR is not enevitable - and thankfully our DEC has seen fit to not make the killing of 6 pts scoring 75 a priority.

Steve

Last edited by SteveBNy; 09-17-2009 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If NY knew how much revenue a quality deer heard brings in to states like Illinois,Iowa,Kansas,etc ARs would probably be more prevalent than they are now. And revenue is what will be the ultimate factor whether ARs are implemented. You and i know it.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
ex Enjoy it while it lasts cuz u know as well as i do ARs are goin to be a part of hunting in NY sooner or later whether you or i like it.
Don't be too sure about that! Did you read the statement in the link I posted from the DEC? I surely will hold them to what they said there, because what they stated is absolutely correct. If they don't think AR's are biologically beneficial to the deer herd now, I and others will surely want some explanations as to why they changed their minds if they decide to adapt AR's in the future. As SteveBNY stated, none of the states you mention have AR's so your theory about NYS being soon to follow with AR's doesn't hold much water.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Spike

I grew up in PA and lived there for 21 years befor moving to NY. I stopped hunting PA because of thier AR's and on numerous occasions the Game Commision did not/ would not enforce those restrictions. But most of all, after 4yrs of AR's my family and I just didn't see a significant change in our area. This is just my OPINION of my experiancew/ AR's in a small NW PA town.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
Whats that sound - a needle stuck? You just repeated the same stuff from about 1/2 your posts

Not one of the states you listed has AR - nor any other program so the guys who think a trophy is a 2 1/2 yo 8 pt can get his jollies without working for it. AR is not enevitable - and thankfully our DEC has seen fit to not make the killing of 6 pts scoring 75 a priority.

Steve
First of all i said those states had a quality deer herd-i didnt say they had state wide mandated ARs.My point was that I can see NY rationalizing ARs to try to achieve what those states deer herds are. And for your info many of Illinois' DNR properties are under ARs!!! The point is if NYS thinks ARs can produce bigger bucks the logic will be more $$$ for the state. Everything boils down to money in the end and bigger bucks means more money!! Would i like to see more & bigger bucks here in NY? absolutely Do i think ARs could help this? possibly-it couldnt hurt. Do i think NYS will still experiment with them? yes. Will it continue to **** you guys off? positively!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Just shoot some does and be happy