Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NYS public hunting land goes AR. >

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NYS public hunting land goes AR.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jimbodwb
You are absolutely correct, they have the right to shoot a big racked buck. But there is no need for AR's to be able to shoot a big racked buck. All they need to do is put in the time to locate and shoot this buck. If AR's are in place then I do not have the right to shoot the buck I might want to shoot. My right is taken away if AR's are in place but their right is not taken away if AR's are not in place. I have heard countless arguments about AR's and they are all about bigger racks. I have never heard or seen any proof about how AR's help manage the size of a herd, only the size of the racks.
If you are shooting him as a spike how am i suppose to see him as a 4.5 yr old. I get it-we get what slips by you or whats left when you are done. Yearling bucks are the stupidest deer in the woods-you want meat and want to control the heard shoot does!! And how many times in this thread does it need to be said-ARs are meant to increase the age class of bucks in the heard..period. This thread is giving me a headache anymore. No one even implemented an AR where you are yet and you are bitching about it like something was taken away from you.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rh160kid
If you are shooting him as a spike how am i suppose to see him as a 4.5 yr old. I get it-we get what slips by you or whats left when you are done. Yearling bucks are the stupidest deer in the woods-you want meat and want to control the heard shoot does!! And how many times in this thread does it need to be said-ARs are meant to increase the age class of bucks in the heard..period. This thread is giving me a headache anymore. No one even implemented an AR where you are yet and you are bitching about it like something was taken away from you.
I apologize if I have upset you. That was never my intention. I appreciate someone like you who has logical insight as to what you believe in. We have different views on this topic but that is what make this interesting to me. I never said you were incorrect, I just stated my views on this. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion and this time ours clashed. When it came to the price increase of our license I believe we agreed on that. You are right that no one has implement an AR near me but if it is allowed to happen somewhere in the state then it could possibly happen near me in the future. In the area I grew up hunting, the deer population was low and we could not shoot a doe. All we had were whatever buck we would see. I have no problem taking a doe. I just also have no problem taking a buck of whatever size. I look forward to discussing other topics with you in the future. I will do my best not to upset you next time.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yearling bucks are the stupidest deer in the woods-you want meat and want to control the heard shoot does!! And how many times in this thread does it need to be said-ARs are meant to increase the age class of bucks in the heard..period.
When PA hunters passed on buck and shot more doe the buck harvest decreased by 46% from 2001 to 2007. ARs shift the hunting pressure from the 1.5 buck to the 2.5+ age class so how many 2.5 buck do you think survive to be come 4.5 buck.

ARs are suppose to increase the average age of the buck herd in order to improve the breeding ecology, breeding rates and reduce late breeding. In PA breeding rates decreased by 5% and the breeding window didn't change, so ARs failed to produce the predicted results and we aren't harvesting any more 2.5 buck than we did in the very first year of ARs.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jimbodwb
I apologize if I have upset you. That was never my intention. I appreciate someone like you who has logical insight as to what you believe in. We have different views on this topic but that is what make this interesting to me. I never said you were incorrect, I just stated my views on this. Everyone has the right to have their own opinion and this time ours clashed. When it came to the price increase of our license I believe we agreed on that. You are right that no one has implement an AR near me but if it is allowed to happen somewhere in the state then it could possibly happen near me in the future. In the area I grew up hunting, the deer population was low and we could not shoot a doe. All we had were whatever buck we would see. I have no problem taking a doe. I just also have no problem taking a buck of whatever size. I look forward to discussing other topics with you in the future. I will do my best not to upset you next time.
You didnt upset me at all!! I think its great people have different oppinions. I dont necessarily think my oppinion is absolutely correct or have no flaws. Hopefully you have a great season and fill your freezer!!!
Originally Posted by bluebird2
When PA hunters passed on buck and shot more doe the buck harvest decreased by 46% from 2001 to 2007. ARs shift the hunting pressure from the 1.5 buck to the 2.5+ age class so how many 2.5 buck do you think survive to be come 4.5 buck.

ARs are suppose to increase the average age of the buck herd in order to improve the breeding ecology, breeding rates and reduce late breeding. In PA breeding rates decreased by 5% and the breeding window didn't change, so ARs failed to produce the predicted results and we aren't harvesting any more 2.5 buck than we did in the very first year of ARs.
Interesting!! How long has the AR been in effect in that area? I would like to hear from someone who implements these ARs how long they need to be in effect before the intended results are seen.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting!! How long has the AR been in effect in that area? I would like to hear from someone who implements these ARs how long they need to be in effect before the intended results are seen.
ARs were implemented statewide in PA in 2002. If the lack of 2.5+ buck was the reason for low breeding rates and late born fawns, improvement should be noted in the third year and we re in oureighth year of ARs
Old 09-21-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

We aren't harvesting any more 2.5 buck than we did in the very first year of ARs.
#1. Please post a link showing the data you are basing that statement on.

#2. Even if true, (which I do not believe it is) that statement is relatively meaningless to this discussion of AR's. The most glaring reason being the total number of all deer harvested in PA dropped enourmously during that time...so any discusion of the total number deer havested from any sub group of the population during the two different time periods is extremely misleading to say the least (Stated more clearly, of course one would initially expect less bucks to be harvested if the population dropped enourmously...and more importantly, the drop in the population was not a direct result of the AR's whatsoever but a specific attempt by the states game department to reduce the total population of the deer within the state with or without the implementation of AR's).

The relevant discussion here would be the total PERCENT of 2.5 yr old AND OLDER bucks currently being harvested to the total percent of 2.5yr and older bucks being harvested prior to AR's

I can tell you as a fact...The percent of 2.5 yr and older bucks being harvested after AR's have been put in place has absolutely skyrocketed over the paltry 20% or less rate that was in place prior to their implemention.

This is completely contra to what were trying to imply with your statement, regardless of whether it is even true.

JC
Old 09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ARs are suppose to increase the average age of the buck herd in order to improve the breeding ecology, breeding rates and reduce late breeding.
Where was it stated that the goal of AR's in PA's program was primarily aimed at increasing breeding rates and reducing late breeding? (My guess is they were not...especially considering the state was specifically trying to reduce the number of deer being bred in the state at that time..NOT INCREASE IT!)

Most importantly...the primary goal that the state unquestionably was championing was improving breeding ecology...Something they have been extremely successful in with the average size and age of the breeding bucks increasing dramatically.

JC
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

MORE MATURE BUCKS NOW
According to Steve Trupe, a private wildlife management consultant in the Keystone State, "Mature bucks are making up a larger percentage of the overall deer herd than most imagine. The majority of my clients use trail-monitoring cameras to scout their herd, and numerous photos of true trophy-class bucks are showing up. Nearly all of these photos were taken under the cover of darkness.

"Typical of mature buck behavior, it would appear that the only time these bucks are up and moving about during the hunting seasons would be during the rut, ahead of storm fronts, or when pushed from cover by other hunters," Steve added. "My neighbor gave up deer hunting on the last Friday of the season because he had not seen a legal buck on his property during the days he hunted. He filled his feeder outside of his house on Saturday morning and within a few days no less than four different 8-pointers had been spotted at the feeder by the man and his wife."

Steve reasoned, "It just goes to show you that hunting mature bucks is far different from hunting 1 1/2-year-olds, and that is something that hunters in Pennsylvania are going to have to adjust to if they want to fill their tags."
From North American Whitetail last year expressing one of the most well thought out views of the effects of AR in the state from a gentleman with actual on the ground experience.

JC

------------------

The Changing Face Of Pennsylvania Deer Hunting...

Much has happened in the Keystone State since antler restrictions were established in 2002. Although some hunters still resist the idea, the overall results have been extremely positive.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.co...s/NAW_0907_10/

Last edited by jcchartboy; 09-21-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=j

Most importantly...the primary goal that the state unquestionably was championing was improving breeding ecology...Something they have been extremely successful in with the average size and age of the breeding bucks increasing dramatically.

JC[/QUOTE]

So are you telling us the younger bucks that are now protected through antler restrictions are not doing any breeding?? Whether a buck breeds with a doe when he is 1 1/2 years old or 3 1/2 years old makes absolutely NO difference. He will be passing on the same genetics no matter what age he is. This is all a bunch of mumbo jumbo that is trying to be sold, but the reality is that AR's do nothing but grow bucks a little bigger for those hunters who prefer to shoot a bigger racked buck over a smaller one. AR's don't make any difference to the herds health one little bit!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
So are you telling us the younger bucks that are now protected through antler restrictions are not doing any breeding??
No...actually you are the only one that seems to be suggesting that.

Whether a buck breeds with a doe when he is 1 1/2 years old or 3 1/2 years old makes absolutely NO difference. He will be passing on the same genetics no matter what age he is.
Obviously...And your point relative to this discussion is?

This is all a bunch of mumbo jumbo that is trying to be sold, but the reality is that AR's do nothing but grow bucks a little bigger for those hunters who prefer to shoot a bigger racked buck over a smaller one. AR's don't make any difference to the herds health one little bit!
And you are basing this is what on what factual data? (A herds health is determined by thousands of variables only one of which is the age structure. There is absolutely no way to make such a sweeping statement as you are attempting to do without considering at least a half dozen other of the most important variables starting with nutrition, deer density etc. However, for the purposes of this discussion where AR's are being discussed in relative isolation from the other variables, any qualified biologist will state your claim has no basis in truth whatsoever when discussing a whitetail population that has an unnaturally high doe to buck ratio as a result of hunting just as we are doing here....After all, by defintion, a "healthy herd" is a population that lives in as natural a balance with the carry capacity of the land, in as natural a state as they would without human intervention.....By eliminating the disproportionately excessive harvest of yearling bucks AR's contribute significantly to returning the natural balance of the population toward that of a "health herd"...and as a result improving the overall breeding ecology as has been previously stated.

JC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.