Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Scouting advice for newbies >

Scouting advice for newbies

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Scouting advice for newbies

Old 08-23-2009, 05:57 AM
Spike

Default Scouting advice for newbies

With archery season rapidly approaching.Who has got any advice for those who are new to the sport or just wanna learn more.

I like topo maps for funnel points,looking for food source,bedding areas.
What do you guys do?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where to start.....

First of all, you are on the right general track for this season. By that I mean you are right to do as much preliminary work OUT of the woods as possible when this close to the season.

When you do go into the woods this close to season, which we must do of course, be as scent concious as if you were hunting. Shower, spray down and touch as little as possible while scouting. Your hands carry LOADS of scent.

What type of land are you hunting? Big woods? Farmland? Suburbia? Each will have a different approach.

First and foremost, try to identify the bedding areas. This is far more important than the food source which tends to attract more novices for obvious reasons. Your best strategy is to identify travel funnels and pinch points between the dining room and the bedroom. Unhurried whitetails are inherently lazy and will generally take the easiest route so long as they feel safe. A low spot on a ridge, a hole or low spot in a fence, the easy way across a ditch or creek deserve your attention.

Take note of the prevailing winds and try to visualize where the deer ought to be when you approach your stand. I always have a small breats feather of some species suspended from a piece of dental floss on me. In season, it's on the end of my bow stabilizer. Take note of how the wind plays according to the weatherman but also be sure to observe how that plays out at your stand and on your way in.

If you concentrate on bedding, food, structural funnels and wind you will be well on your way. Some stuff, you'll just learn by being out there but hopefully something here will help you get a start.

Most of all, never be afraid to ask for advice here. There are some really good, experienced hunters here that are willing to share

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 08-23-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

All you have to do is buy 100 acres, post every other tree , plant a few food plots in the middle and you won't have to do any scouting.
That is BTB's and BWJ's solution to the problem of low DD in PA.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

come on blue he wanted scouting advice
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scouting for a 100 acres of good deer habitat for sale is the best advice anyone could provide. Just ask BTB and BWJ!!!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of it depends on what you are after.
Trophy buck lets say
You would be looking for a bed that is at least 40 inches long. With no other beds around. The big guys like to have a vantage point wind at there back. That way they can see you coming or smell. And have a escape route over a ridge threw some thick swampy stuff. IMHO. Sunny sides they seem to like.
For doe most or sometimes they chose easy routes . The easy spot to cross creek stream and such. You can see there smaller oval beds more than 1 together in most cases.
Of course later on when rut is in. that big boy will come to your doe at some point also.
That's enough for now i guess
Thats were i start looking anyway
Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very nice. A new member asks for some scouting advice and the resident jackass has to turn the thread into another pissing match.

Paarrow, pay no attention to this idiot. The normal people here will gladly offer any and all help they can muster.

What type of ground are you trying to scout? Public or private? If it's private, how many others have access? Are you hunting bigwoods, farmland, reverted strips, suburbia?

Feel free to use the PM for your questions if the douche bag's interference bothers you!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Feel free to use the PM for your questions if the douche bag's interference bothers you!
Do you do the limbo? How low can you go?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Scouting for a 100 acres of good deer habitat for sale is the best advice anyone could provide. Just ask BTB and BWJ!!!

That would be great advice if he can afford it. Or for others
Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I apologize to anyone except the offending douche bag who may have been offended when I sunk momentarily to his level. I will happily remove the offending phrase if anyone besides the bird and his few lackeys voices an objection. I will also happily consider any suggestions for a more appropriate characterization of his intentional hijacking of a perfectly benign thread intended to do nothing but help a fellow hunter. BTW, Last I knew, This forum does have a profanity filter so obviously this was not profanity.

If no one objects, we can all conclude that my characterization did indeed fit the situation.

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 08-23-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.