Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Bluebird 2

Old 06-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Banned

Default RE: Bluebird 2

I dont scout deer movement patterns in early summer. I scout terrain and topography on new lands Ive not yet set foot on, the elevation changes, how the ridges run, finding the thickets, possible mast producing trees to check on later, last years rubs, signs of others hunting in the area by finding permanent stands, scarred up trees from climbers, shooting lanes cut etc... and I also do preparations in already known areas that i can do ahead of time like moving fallen large limbs or downed trees etc that might change movement.

I'll search out more exact stand sites etc. based on early scouting and possibly add others later on late summer scouting. I find potential climbing stand trees and also use lockons. I then usually set stands in Late August having some in place for early season and others will not be touched until about Oct 25 or so. I only archery hunt, but always keep a few escape route type spots in mind in case Ive had a bad year, and I have to carry the bowtech the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cornelius08

I dont scout deer movement patterns in early summer. I scout terrain and topography on new lands Ive not yet set foot on, the elevation changes, how the ridges run, finding the thickets, possible mast producing trees to check on later, last years rubs, signs of others hunting in the area by finding permanent stands, scarred up trees from climbers, shooting lanes cut etc... and I also do preparations in already known areas that i can do ahead of time like moving fallen large limbs or downed trees etc that might change movement.

I'll search out more exact stand sites etc. based on early scouting and possibly add others later on late summer scouting. I find potential climbing stand trees and also use lockons. I then usually set stands in Late August having some in place for early season and others will not be touched until about Oct 25 or so. I only archery hunt, but always keep a few escape route type spots in mind in case Ive had a bad year, and I have to carry the bowtech the Monday after Thanksgiving.
Gee these are some of the things I did last Saturday . I gess when it was stated scouting, some people thought that was pattering deer movement in June. I see why some people would think that was a waste of time. When I say scout to a fellow hunter that could be many things that a hunter must do year round in the woods!

Hatchet Jack
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

No such thing as a bad day or a wasted day in the woods eh Jack?.
Yes Sir BT!!

Hatchet Jack
Old 06-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do agree with maybe checking stand sites, clearing tree limbs or moving a stand in early summer. I guess, I just consider scouting looking for new stand sites or patterning deer.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some guys like to spend time in their areas.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's all understandable

Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to base my stands around food sources

Old 06-03-2009, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whether a tree is dropping acorns or apples determines if I'll put a stand there.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never was a trophy hunter. I just like venison.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A hunter definitely needs to scout to be successful

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.