Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Turkey Season >

NY Turkey Season

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Turkey Season

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default NY Turkey Season

How did every one do? We got two Jakes my son and neighbor(1st bird). Called one in right off the roost, my son moved his hand when he thought the birds head was behind the tree and got busted, four other birds flew down intoa large green field, started going the other way, my son called then I called about from 50 yards behing him and they literally ranin, two shots two birds on the ground. 6:15 am.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Turkey Season

8am-ish put down a decent tom. 81/4" beard, 1" spurs. Never weighed him, but guess around 18-19lbs. Was my 2nd setup, heard him gobbling way off. Moved in on him, setup. Few clucks and he was coming. But hedrifted below me inthe woods too far away. Started heading away, and I did some cutting. Brought him back. But he hung up around 50yds. He started to head off again, and I knew it was now of never. I knew the shot was long, but I dumped him. I paced it off at 55yds!! I couldn't believe it. All I can say is NITRO'S!!
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Well overcast and a little bit windy...heard no gobbles until almost 8a...way down in a valley/gulley...so I hightailed it towards him...heard him gobble on the way there but when I set-up...nothing....don't know if maybe he saw me or not but I suspect he's got some hens....will be back out in the AM...hopefully a nicer morning than this morning...good luck and be safe people!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

couldn't go yesturday had to put up with the worst of the four letter words W O R K
hopefully today I'll get one
Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Spike

Congrats on your bird buckalley!

Went out this morning but did see or hear any birds.I didn't even hear any shots either.

Good luck tomorrow everyone!
Old 05-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

well I did get one today 19 lbs 9 inch beard 15/16 spurs
darnit the kid beat me
Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Spike

Way to go Johnl!!

Didn't have any luck today either.Next weekend I'll try a different area.

Good luck next time out everyone!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Gang,

At 9:15 AM, I left loose with a loud series of yelps from my Two Timer Infinity Latex mouth call. To my astonishment, a hearty gobble immediately followed. I repeated the call and he answered again. Confidence ran high as my lone hen decoy was awaiting the arrival of a real turkey. Each time I called, the Tom would answer and he was getting closer with each thundering gobble.

There was one slight problem… the wind had picked up and my decoy was spinning around and around. Unnatural in appearance, but at least it would get the gobblers attention. By now, the gobbles were within 30 yards. The Tom was approaching through a thick and wide hedgerow between two fields. When I finally saw him, at 20 yards, he was in full strut. I wondered how he made it through the brush in that fashion. My 870 was raise and poised as the gobbler made his way into the field. Then the unimaginable happened… My cell phone rang. Hardly anyone, except for my wife, calls me, so I forgot to turn off the phone. It was my wife. You know how I knew? I have one of those personalized ring tones and her tone is “Every little thing she does is magic” by The Police. I lowered my left hand and frantically tried to squelch the sound – to no avail.

Now picture this… The phone is now acting as a PA system blaring The Police, the hen decoy is spinning as if to the music. What does the gobbler do? He starts to spin in full strut! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I took advantage of his maneuvering and took aim and dropped him on the spot. He turned out to be a frisky 2-year old bird with respectable stats: 18 lbs, 1” spurs, and a 9” beard.

It took me a few minutes to register all that had just happened. When it’s all said and done, I need to credit the untimely phone call and the dancing decoy for another terrific memory at my favorite turkey spot!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got a nice Tom Monday and missed a bigger one Tuesday.I couldn't believe it!!!Got him in close-clear shot and he gets away.Later back home I fired a shot to check the sights/pattern again.Way left!I go to adjust and I see the rear sight was off to the side instead of set to center on the pin.It must have caught on my clothing while carrying it slung over my shoulder.Anyway sorry about the crappy pic but here's the one that didn't get away-

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u232/Bernieoo7/PIC0003-1.jpg
This guy had 1" spurs,7 1/2" beard and weighed about 20 lbs or so.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Spike

We went out two mornings opening weeked in upstate NY. We saw a few hens each day but no toms. Did get a great nap in though.....

Quick Reply: NY Turkey Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.