HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY Turkey Season
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Turkey Season

Gang,

At 9:15 AM, I left loose with a loud series of yelps from my Two Timer Infinity Latex mouth call. To my astonishment, a hearty gobble immediately followed. I repeated the call and he answered again. Confidence ran high as my lone hen decoy was awaiting the arrival of a real turkey. Each time I called, the Tom would answer and he was getting closer with each thundering gobble.

There was one slight problem… the wind had picked up and my decoy was spinning around and around. Unnatural in appearance, but at least it would get the gobblers attention. By now, the gobbles were within 30 yards. The Tom was approaching through a thick and wide hedgerow between two fields. When I finally saw him, at 20 yards, he was in full strut. I wondered how he made it through the brush in that fashion. My 870 was raise and poised as the gobbler made his way into the field. Then the unimaginable happened… My cell phone rang. Hardly anyone, except for my wife, calls me, so I forgot to turn off the phone. It was my wife. You know how I knew? I have one of those personalized ring tones and her tone is “Every little thing she does is magic” by The Police. I lowered my left hand and frantically tried to squelch the sound – to no avail.

Now picture this… The phone is now acting as a PA system blaring The Police, the hen decoy is spinning as if to the music. What does the gobbler do? He starts to spin in full strut! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I took advantage of his maneuvering and took aim and dropped him on the spot. He turned out to be a frisky 2-year old bird with respectable stats: 18 lbs, 1” spurs, and a 9” beard.

It took me a few minutes to register all that had just happened. When it’s all said and done, I need to credit the untimely phone call and the dancing decoy for another terrific memory at my favorite turkey spot!