Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Youth Turkey Hunt >

NY Youth Turkey Hunt

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Youth Turkey Hunt

Old 04-24-2009, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY Youth Turkey Hunt

Hey all you 12-15 yr olds. I just wanted to say Good Luck this wknd. Enjoy the time out there, and have a great hunt!!
I'll be out there with my 14yr old son. This will be his 3rd youth hunt. He was able to bag a jake each of his 1st 2 yrs. This yr he wants a adult tom, and we roosted a good one tonight! I think I'm more excited to take my son out, than I would be if I were able to hunt.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Youth Turkey Hunt

my oldest son scored at sunrise this morning! awesome hunt, had 3 birds come in . The biggest was fighting the others like crazy. he shot him at 30 yards, rolled him good. big ol jake, 4 inch beard 17lbs. PICS to follow.

You just can't beat taking a kid out hunting!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Typical Buck

glad to here it moose my son got his this morning too 6 am 19 lbs 9 1/2 inch beard with 1 inch spurs. 10 yard shot. I thoughtI was going to have a heart attack waiting for him to soot
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

I took my son out this morning after work. We could only stay till 8am because I had to go to bed and go back into work. Had alot of birds sounding off not to far away and one bird went by about 50 yards out. No bird but had alot of fun. Congrats to the kids who scored.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My son also took a bird this morning(sunday) at 6:30am. A jake w/4" beard, 15lbs. We started with 4 toms gobbling, I called 2 in right off, both were jakes. Came in right to the decoys. My boy waited, hoping the others might be a full tom. But 4 more jakes showed up, and pranced around the decoys. 1 began strutting, and when he was in the clear, Ty took him. Ty says he wants one w/ his bow now!
Sat. morning we setup on some toms we'd roosted Fri. eve, but they never came outta the woods into the field. Ty was setup in good cover for those roosted birds. But we had 2 nice toms w/8-9" beards come in out of another field to our right. Tyler had no shot, and by the time they got out in front of him they moved out deeper into the field out of range.But it was a great hunt, as those 2 toms put on a show, strutting on & off, and I bet they had to gobble least 50 times amongst them. They sounded off to anything, woodpeckers, song birds, crows. The works. It was a great wknd.

Oh I also want toWARN you guys, be careful of the ticks. I found one on me underneath my arm pit, just starting to work into my skin. This is not a area well known to have ticks. Heck our snow just melted outta here completely 2 wks ago! So check yourselves, and your kids. I'm getting some Deet before I go out again May 1st.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

get repel with permethrin. only stuff that works reliably!
Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice work guys... glad to see the states doing it. Massachusetts had their first ever youth hunt this year. Our Sportman's club sponsored a hunt. We had 6 kids go w/ their "sponsors" and killed 4 toms!
The kid I took connected on a nice 17lb bird w/ 1" spurs... beard was busted off at a couple of inches though... He was a mess when the bird came in... but he kept his cool and smoked him... Great experience.

and here is the group photo... the 2 kids who didn't connect actually have tags and their sponsors will be taking them again this upcoming Sat. Regular season started today...

Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Those are all great stories guys! Congrat's to you all for taking a youngster out. And a special congratulations to the youngsters that scored![/align]
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Spike

Congrats to all the young hunters way to go!!