Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Deer Harvest results released >

Pa Deer Harvest results released

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Deer Harvest results released

Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pa Deer Harvest results released

BTB Thanks for the info!! But I thought the PGC stated last march that the 2008-2009 harvest should be alot higher because of the terrible weather during the 2007-2008 gun season which caused the 2007-2008 harvest to be alot less than expected? Or was last years excuse for such a poor harvest just that, an excuse? Pike
Old 03-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

ORIGINAL: fellas2

BTB,please tell me you're kidding with that link to how our beloved PGC estimates the harvest.I bet there aren't two people in this state than can follow those pages of BS and formulas and put any type of creedence behind them.In the past,we have been told the majoriy of the count comes from the report cards and have been invited to come to Harrisburg and count them if we like.Now we're told that actual reort card make up about one third of the estimate and the rest is left to some mathmatical formula Albert Einstein couldn't understand.Sounds like another case of mt Dad's old saying : if you can't dazzle them with you're brillance,baffle them with you're bull****" !!!!
Rodger, the science of statistics has been around for a long time. The PGC uses statitical analysis to produce a reporting rate. They then apply the reporting rate to the actual reports. It's accurate the same way as it's accurate when the TV networks call the results of an election with only a small fraction of the votes in.

With POS licensing , we should have a mechanism available for a better reporting system but odds are that it really wont be substantially more accurate. What better reporting would hopefully do is negate the need for WCO's to check 25000+ deer at processors just so they can calculate an accuratereporting rate.
I don't see them not visiting the processors, that is done for aging purposes, health of the herd and better management. We all know the estimated harvest isn't accurate, it never will be and there is no way of ever knowing what the true kill in any other state. The main reason for the harvest estimate is to be able to look at trends, I live and hunt in 4C, that is the most important number to me. It actually meant more when they did it by county to me, even knowing that it was an allocation of a few Counties combined kill.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

What better reporting would hopefully do is negate the need for WCO's to check 25000+ deer at processors just so they can calculate an accurate reporting rate.
Once again you demonstrate your amazing level of ignorance. Do you really believe the WCOs spend the first week of the concurrent season checking deer at the processors? Do you honestly believe that the main reason they check those deer is to estimate the harvest? How would the PGC determine the age of the buck harvested if they didn't check the der? how would they estimate the BB harvest? How would they know the average age of the doe harvested? You truly are clueless!!1
Old 03-18-2009, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: J Pike

BTB Thanks for the info!! But I thought the PGC stated last march that the 2008-2009 harvest should be alot higher because of the terrible weather during the 2007-2008 gun season which caused the 2007-2008 harvest to be alot less than expected? Or was last years excuse for such a poor harvest just that, an excuse? Pike
Actually Jeff, they said the doe harvest caught up in 07 but the buck harvest stayed down. the entire difference between the 07 and 08 years was the buck harvest catching up. If they really have stabilized the herd and weather doesn't get to far off the charts either way, we should expect a similar doe harvest and a slightly smaller buck harvest next year. JMHO!

I also noticed that the WMU's that I know to be heavy on bowhunting pressure were pretty level between 07 and 08. That could well be that bowhunting negated the effects of poor weather in 07 in those WMU's.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTB whats really pathetic is that 450,000 OH. deer hunters had an ACTUAL 2008-09 harvest of 248,515 deer and 924,000 PA. deer hunters had an ESTIMATED 2008-09 harvest of 335,850 deer.
Just think what OH. harvest numbers would look like if the ODNR. ESTIMATED their total deer harvest like the PGC. does. Pike
Old 03-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Your certainly trying to give this guy a snowjob with your prediction on next years harvest. Even if you know what the total 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 harvest were, plus the 5 of BB killed in both years, at best you could call your numbers a guesstimate.

Actually Jeff, they said the doe harvest caught up in 07 but the buck harvest stayed down. the entire difference between the 07 and 08 years was the buck harvest catching up. If they really have stabilized the herd and weather doesn't get to far off the charts either way, we should expect a similar doe harvest and a slightly smaller buck harvest next year. JMHO!

I also noticed that the WMU's that I know to be heavy on bowhunting pressure were pretty level between 07 and 08. That could well be that bowhunting negated the effects of poor weather in 07 in those WMU's.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

What better reporting would hopefully do is negate the need for WCO's to check 25000+ deer at processors just so they can calculate an accuratereporting rate.
Once again you demonstrate your amazing level of ignorance. Do you really believe the WCOs spend the first week of the concurrent season checking deer at the processors? Do you honestly believe that the main reason they check those deer is to estimate the harvest? How would the PGC determine the age of the buck harvested if they didn't check the der? how would they estimate the BB harvest? How would they know the average age of the doe harvested? You truly are clueless!!1

I'll try to be patient with you because you don't seem to understand. Gotta tell you though, calling someone clueless when you can't grasp something kinda makes you look pretty foolish.

Do you really believe the WCOs spend the first week of the concurrent season checking deer at the processors?
Wrong again skippy, I didn't put any time frame on it. My best guess is that they check deer all though the season. I guess, like when talking with anyone of limited intelligence, I should be more complete and literal. Instead of WCO's I should have said PGC staff so as to include all who participate in checking the deer.

Do you honestly believe that the main reason they check those deer is to estimate the harvest?
Given the amount of yapping from folks like you about the reporting rates, I'd say that making sure that the reporting rate is accurate would be one of the main reasons for checking deer. That doesn't mean that other information that's gathered isn't vital as well.

How would the PGC determine the age of the buck harvested if they didn't check the der? how would they estimate the BB harvest? How would they know the average age of the doe harvested?
Any birdbrain knows that these things still need to be checked. But of course I was again remiss in not considering that people of lower intelligence levels tend to need everything spelled out very painstakingly so I'll try and explain better and more completely for you. Once online or phone reporting is instituted, recording info from and comparing tagsagainst harvest report cards would no longer be needed for obtaining a reporting rate.Precious time and resources spent on that part of the process could be better spent.

The response wasn't to you BB but I guess I should have expected you'd read it. In the future, I will try to be complete and literal with my responses so that youwon't get so easily confused about the point I'm trying to make.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

Great point Jeff. Pathetic is the word. If comparing realistically apples to apples Ohios harvest as reported and ours: Ohio--248,515 Pas--127,351.

According to those figures, Ohios harvest could well be DOUBLE our harvest.

"Harvest estimates for 2008-09 seasons are based on Harvest estimates for 2008-09 seasons are based on 127,351 usable harvest report cards (44,995 antlered; 82,356 antlerless) returned by hunters to the Commission and 26,057 deer (8,791 antlered; 17,266 antlerless) examined by Game Commission personnel in the field and at processors."
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM

323,000 deer were killed by 924,000 hunters....

The harvest ratio per licensed hunter is still 34.95%

I
Wrong,924k hunters did not kill 323k deer. under 323k hunters killed deer. This includes Dmaps tags that was given out, some hunters took 5+ deer by themselves included in that number. How many hunters actually killed deer is not known to the public.So to say 34% of hunters killed a deer is wrong and you know that to be a true statement.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

BTB whats really pathetic is that 450,000 OH. deer hunters had an ACTUAL 2008-09 harvest of 248,515 deer and 900,000 PA. deer hunters had an ESTIMATED 2008-09 harvest of 335,850 deer. Pike
That is an impressive harvest rate Jeff. Funny, how hundreds of Ohio hunters used to flock to the area around my camp to hunt deer. But then, we had no deer to speak of in 2B back then either. Ohio is, without a doubt, currently one of the better states to hunt whitetails.

Quick Reply: Pa Deer Harvest results released

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.