Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Sproul state forest Pa >

Sproul state forest Pa

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Sproul state forest Pa

Old 02-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sproul state forest Pa

Just moved to Pa and looking for a place to turkey hunt... I am thinking about the Sproul State Forest... Does anybody know what the hunting is like there???
Old 02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sproul state forest Pa

Welcome to PA !!

There are several guys here who know the Sproul. You'll have plenty of good info shortly.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

Just moved to Pa and looking for a place to turkey hunt... I am thinking about the Sproul State Forest... Does anybody know what the hunting is like there???
SPROUL in clinton/potter countyis by far the hardest place to kill turkey in state.

i have friend here that makes turkey calls and hunts and guides in state and ny,he told me that.

it is hard,just cant pattern a turkey here.

there are turkeys here, i see them all time riding my motorcycle out on rt44 to ole bull park,down thru kettle creek.

best area to get a turkey in my area is HYNER RUN.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info... I'll prob be heading up there the last week end of the season... I still hunt my old honey hole till then...
Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

PA turkeys on public land are def. quite a challenge, but it sounds like you may not be a rookie to the sport. Never hunted Sproul, but hunt in Rothrock, Michaux, and Bald Eagle SF's. Keys here are getting away from the crowd trying to roost the loudmouth birds near the road. Better to move deeper into the woods where the pressure may be less. Being a good caller is an advantage, but there are a alot of good callers in PA. Patience and woodsmanship kill me more birds than anything else. Knowing their habits and what is currently happening with the breeding phases. Of course the biggest ace in the hole is just having the time to be there. If you can afford to hunt through the week and often, you will find success. I find that when I can hunt three or four days in succession, I have a good handle on them by the third morning, and can usually tag one. Its when I'm limited to wkds that it gets so much more difficult between dealing with more hunters and the birds moving around, changing patterns etc.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

very true what you said.

you have to be out of woods at noon in spring.

ones that get a gobbler WILL stay out without a gun and try to see where they are roosting.

then next day they hunt where they ROOSTED.

some dont even go out in morning, they wait until afternoon, then go out without gun and FIND THE ROOSTING AREA.

all little tricks that are used.

yes, it takes a couple days to zero in most of time UNLESS you do your homework before opener.

i also like to follow hens and be where they are in spring.

i do very little calling, if at all.

i use hoot owl with my mouth and thats about it.

if turkey answers, i walk to within 150 yds of where i heard him and just sit.

Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

PA turkeys on public land are def. quite a challenge, but it sounds like you may not be a rookie to the sport. Never hunted Sproul, but hunt in Rothrock, Michaux, and Bald Eagle SF's. Keys here are getting away from the crowd trying to roost the loudmouth birds near the road. Better to move deeper into the woods where the pressure may be less. Being a good caller is an advantage, but there are a alot of good callers in PA. Patience and woodsmanship kill me more birds than anything else. Knowing their habits and what is currently happening with the breeding phases. Of course the biggest ace in the hole is just having the time to be there. If you can afford to hunt through the week and often, you will find success. I find that when I can hunt three or four days in succession, I have a good handle on them by the third morning, and can usually tag one. Its when I'm limited to wkds that it gets so much more difficult between dealing with more hunters and the birds moving around, changing patterns etc.
No sense in me me replying, because you mirrored my thoughts and comments to a "T".
Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sproulman - you scoundrel. Hardest to hunt turkey?? I have to chase them away from me around our cabin. And we don't feed. I don't recall the last time I went out and didn't see turkey. That could be why they are so hard to get into range. The poor gobblers are wore out from mating with all those hens. Late morning would probably be the best bet to put a tag on a gobbler.
And there was a change I believe in the times. I think now you can hunt until noon and have to be out of the woods by 1:00.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

We are locaated on the edge of Sproul on Beech Creek Mountain road and see turkeys and bear all the time, just dont see any deer during the season ,never a problem for turkeys.....
Old 02-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Sproulman - you scoundrel. Hardest to hunt turkey?? I have to chase them away from me around our cabin. And we don't feed. I don't recall the last time I went out and didn't see turkey. That could be why they are so hard to get into range. The poor gobblers are wore out from mating with all those hens. Late morning would probably be the best bet to put a tag on a gobbler.
And there was a change I believe in the times. I think now you can hunt until noon and have to be out of the woods by 1:00.
the sutliffs have camp in your area off dry run rd.

they make calls you see in store, dang if i can remember the name of their calls.

he told me that area is hardest to hunt for turkeys in state.

he guides and hunts them all time.

oh, i just remembered the name of his call,TOP CALL,

Quick Reply: Sproul state forest Pa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.