HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sproul state forest Pa
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
ManySpurs
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sproul state forest Pa

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

PA turkeys on public land are def. quite a challenge, but it sounds like you may not be a rookie to the sport. Never hunted Sproul, but hunt in Rothrock, Michaux, and Bald Eagle SF's. Keys here are getting away from the crowd trying to roost the loudmouth birds near the road. Better to move deeper into the woods where the pressure may be less. Being a good caller is an advantage, but there are a alot of good callers in PA. Patience and woodsmanship kill me more birds than anything else. Knowing their habits and what is currently happening with the breeding phases. Of course the biggest ace in the hole is just having the time to be there. If you can afford to hunt through the week and often, you will find success. I find that when I can hunt three or four days in succession, I have a good handle on them by the third morning, and can usually tag one. Its when I'm limited to wkds that it gets so much more difficult between dealing with more hunters and the birds moving around, changing patterns etc.
No sense in me me replying, because you mirrored my thoughts and comments to a "T".