Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Once again the USP screws everyone including themselves >

Once again the USP screws everyone including themselves

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Once again the USP screws everyone including themselves

Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Once again the USP screws everyone including themselves

For one thing 2F has fewer steep rocky outcroppings where something can grow. Units like 2G could support more deer if things they could eat would grow on totally rock covered soil or if we could teach deer to survive by eating rocks.

Though both areas have about the maximum number of deer their individual habitats can support unit 2F inherently has better habitat types that will always support more deer then can be supported in the habitat types found in unit 2G.

There is nothing complicated about that difference, at least for those that are professionally training to manage the resources across the state.
Only a fool that knows little or nothing about deer management would make that claim. Both productivity and forest regeneration is lower in 2F than in 2G yet the PGC is managing 2F at a density that is almost twice that in 2G. That is totally irrational and makes absolutely no sense.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a prime example of why we need smaller wmu's.
2F habitat varies greater than you would think.
It goes the gamut. I hunt the poorer soiled areas btw.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Both productivity and forest regeneration is lower in 2F than in 2G yet the PGC is managing 2F at a density that is almost twice that in 2G. That is totally irrational and makes absolutely no sense.
How interspersed with privateland is the forest, when comparing 2f and 2g?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smaller WMUs are not the answer. The answer is managing the herd based on the true carrying capacity of the habitat rather than the regeneration of commercially valuable trees. The MSY carrying capacity of northern hardwoods is over 40 DPSM. Even if the herd was managed at half that level ,hunting in 2F and 2G would be much better than it is now.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

first two sentences are agreeable bb
Old 02-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always glad to see we can agree on some things. Now if BTB ,Livbucks and RSB to agree we would really be making some progress.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

This is a prime example of why we need smaller wmu's.
2F habitat varies greater than you would think.
It goes the gamut. I hunt the poorer soiled areas btw.
we tried to get them, livbucks but DCNR figured that ole sproul and boys would not kill off all deer.

so, they came out with these big WMU so elk county boys would come to clinton and clean out doe sproul left go.

thats what was behind it.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Smaller WMUs are not the answer. The answer is managing the herd based on the true carrying capacity of the habitat rather than the regeneration of commercially valuable trees. The MSY carrying capacity of northern hardwoods is over 40 DPSM. Even if the herd was managed at half that level ,hunting in 2F and 2G would be much better than it is now.
bluebird,that is question too.

how do we know how many deer can a dpsm hold in clinton county.
we had no acorns this year.

i was out in woods filling feeders sat, you can see long ways in woods , there is no browse.

i cant believe i am saying that but you know i tell truth of what i see.

i then see fields that could have deer feed planted for deer too.

but even with lack of browse, how do we know how many deer should be in that dpsm.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

As I have said before I always credited you with being more intelligent then what you are displaying. I seriously don’t know if I have given you more credit then you deserve or if you are just trying to mislead people once again.

When you measure the health of the deer (the productive rates of adult does and the breeding rates for the juvenile does) you are measuring all of the habitat those deer live on, farm land, forest land or any where they feed. Therefore your claim that all habitat isn’t measured is incorrect and misleading at the least.

As for the habitat health where do you think it should be measured besides the forest? Should they measure how much corn the farmers planted? Perhaps the height of the hay fields? How about the number of shrubs planted in the housing developments of neighborhood gardens? Of course the place to measure habitat health is in the forest and I can imagine anyone with half a of a logical thought thinking otherwise. Those farm fields and neighborhood gardens are not managed to feed deer. In fact in many cases they can’t feed deer when they have two or three feet of snow covering them. In some years the only habitat that will consistently deer feed is the woody browse so that is what gets measured to determine how the deer food is fairing in the picture of habitat health.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you measure the health of the deer (the productive rates of adult does and the breeding rates for the juvenile does) you are measuring all of the habitat those deer live on, farm land, forest land or any where they feed. Therefore your claim that all habitat isn’t measured is incorrect and misleading at the least.
Thank you for admitting that the habitat in 2F is worse than the habitat in 2G since the doe in 2F produce 1.34 embryos/doe while in 2G the doe produce 1.66 embryos /doe. So forest health and herd health in 2F are both worse than in 2G yet the PGC is managing the herd in 2F at almost twice that of 2G . Thanks for proving I am right and you are ,WRONG AGAIN!

Quick Reply: Once again the USP screws everyone including themselves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.