Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 How should Wildlife Management be funded? >

How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How should Wildlife Management be funded?

well said 4evr i am lucky ny only stone throw away and i have around 3000 private acers i can hunt
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

good info.if i had my way the only people hired AT pgc would be WCO/LAND MANAGERS,rest, there is door.

if the PGC would just go to smaller fuel efficent vehicles they would save MILLIONS on insurance,repairs, tires, gas/oil.

i know because our group saved our employeer bigtime on vehicle repairs.

justdifference on size of tire can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
thats not including the lost labor/delay and tow trucks because of rusted nuts etc.

You have made that comment several times in the past and I haven’t responded to it but I think I will now.

You are wrong about smaller vehicles saving money. I remember when we were issued smaller vehicles and they cost more not less money to keep in operation. The full size vehicles ever get as good of gas mileage as the smaller vehicles. My personal vehicles is one size smaller then my state vehicle and my state vehicle gets better gas mileage.

Even the Expedition I am presently issued is hardly big large enough for all the equipment we have to haul according to the garages that do our vehicle repairs and lightens. We just have to haul too much stuff around so much of the time, like what I have in my vehicle right now. I have two tire chains and should have all four in there. I have one tow chain, that gets used a good bit with all this snow. I have the required first-aid kit and fire extinguisher a box of road flares and a shovel. I also have an evidence kit, a tranquillizer gun and immobilization equipment box. There is a set of jumper cables and several ropes. There are rubber gloves, a law book, citation holders and various other paperwork containing in two brief cases. Then there is the standard radio two issued long guns. How much room do you think that takes up. Then right now we are into tagging turkeys so I have two bags of corn for about 100 pounds or so in their right now and when I go to trap turkeys there is a good bit more gear to do that including a large box that I have to haul on the deer rack.

The garage is all the time tell me that the suspension on these vehicles is not heavy enough for all the gear we haul. Then figure that on many days I will have two or three deer or maybe a four or five hundred pound bear on the deer rack.

Come time to do hunter/trapper education I have to take almost everything else out of my vehicle just to get my hunter education equipment all in the vehicle and we just got more of that that I’m still not sure I am going to be able to haul all in one trip.

Now add the fact that there are times when I have to hook up a trailer and pull that loaded with equipment behind my vehicle when we are doing defensive tactics training or if I am moving a skid type bear trap, or for that matter just a bear trap with a bear of several hundred pounds.

If you were to see what all we have to do with these vehicles you certainly wouldn’t be thinking we needed a smaller one. We have tried that and believe me smaller vehicle aren’t a good investment at all for the vehicle needs we have, they don’t save money they cost more money in both gas and repairs.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 02-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember when they were using them little Cherokees.
Expeditions are big but they are built for soft ride, not heavy duty hauling. The GC should go with crew cab HD trucks with full bed and tall caps.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know several people with S-10's, Colorado's, and Trailblazers that don't get any better mileage than I do in my crew cab Sierra. Having a vehicle big enough for the job actually prevents repair bills that come from overloading a smaller vehicle even if that only happens occasionally.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hada 96 and a 99 Jimmy.They ate hub assemblies and ball joints on a regular basis.They also got crappy mileage.I've had 1/2 ton trucks and never replaced anything.My trucks gets used hard as I haul heavy loads of hay and horses on a regular basis.Insurance premiums were alsolower on the 1/2 ton trucks.I have a 3/4 ton HD now and while it gets,a little worse fuel mileage,it isn't much worse than the small ones.However,the ability to stand up to heavy use,isn't even comparable.

I've roade along with R.S.B on several occassions.A small tinker toy wouldn't cut the mustard.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

I know several people with S-10's, Colorado's, and Trailblazers that don't get any better mileage than I do in my crew cab Sierra. Having a vehicle big enough for the job actually prevents repair bills that come from overloading a smaller vehicle even if that only happens occasionally.
bob, our 2 year study is not flawed.

everything was looked at and our vehicles were treated rougher and worst conditions than the PGC uses theirs.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

I hada 96 and a 99 Jimmy.They ate hub assemblies and ball joints on a regular basis.They also got crappy mileage.I've had 1/2 ton trucks and never replaced anything.My trucks gets used hard as I haul heavy loads of hay and horses on a regular basis.Insurance premiums were alsolower on the 1/2 ton trucks.I have a 3/4 ton HD now and while it gets,a little worse fuel mileage,it isn't much worse than the small ones.However,the ability to stand up to heavy use,isn't even comparable.

I've roade along with R.S.B on several occassions.A small tinker toy wouldn't cut the mustard.
gm had problem with BALL JOINTS,they did not put grease fittings on them,NOW THEY DO.

no way a bigger vehicle is saving.it is money pit.

if rsb needs to haul a 800 pd bear, use a trailer.

go to K&l auto in renovo area.

they repair the trucks from DCNR.

go talk to them.

they are broke all time,even local WCO retired was in there a LOT with his vehicle.

smaller vehicles will break too but COST TO REPAIR IS GREAT DIFFERENCE FROM BIGGER VEHICLES.

trust me, our study for 2 years opened many eyes.

just getting a 6 cyl vrs a 8 cyl saved a ton of money on gas/oil/repairs on engine alone.

just going to bias ply tires vrs radial tires saved over million.

radials get 5 times flats as a bias ply do and the bias get hole in bottom that can be repaired BUT radial gets hole in sidewall, cant be repaired.

15 inch tire is much cheaper than 16/17
Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

I remember when they were using them little Cherokees.
Expeditions are big but they are built for soft ride, not heavy duty hauling. The GC should go with crew cab HD trucks with full bed and tall caps.
how about a smaller vehicle and use a TRAILER to haul out a bear
Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

ORIGINAL: sproulman

good info.if i had my way the only people hired AT pgc would be WCO/LAND MANAGERS,rest, there is door.

if the PGC would just go to smaller fuel efficent vehicles they would save MILLIONS on insurance,repairs, tires, gas/oil.

i know because our group saved our employeer bigtime on vehicle repairs.

justdifference on size of tire can amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
thats not including the lost labor/delay and tow trucks because of rusted nuts etc.

You have made that comment several times in the past and I haven’t responded to it but I think I will now.

You are wrong about smaller vehicles saving money. I remember when we were issued smaller vehicles and they cost more not less money to keep in operation. The full size vehicles ever get as good of gas mileage as the smaller vehicles. My personal vehicles is one size smaller then my state vehicle and my state vehicle gets better gas mileage.

Even the Expedition I am presently issued is hardly big large enough for all the equipment we have to haul according to the garages that do our vehicle repairs and lightens. We just have to haul too much stuff around so much of the time, like what I have in my vehicle right now. I have two tire chains and should have all four in there. I have one tow chain, that gets used a good bit with all this snow. I have the required first-aid kit and fire extinguisher a box of road flares and a shovel. I also have an evidence kit, a tranquillizer gun and immobilization equipment box. There is a set of jumper cables and several ropes. There are rubber gloves, a law book, citation holders and various other paperwork containing in two brief cases. Then there is the standard radio two issued long guns. How much room do you think that takes up. Then right now we are into tagging turkeys so I have two bags of corn for about 100 pounds or so in their right now and when I go to trap turkeys there is a good bit more gear to do that including a large box that I have to haul on the deer rack.

The garage is all the time tell me that the suspension on these vehicles is not heavy enough for all the gear we haul. Then figure that on many days I will have two or three deer or maybe a four or five hundred pound bear on the deer rack.

Come time to do hunter/trapper education I have to take almost everything else out of my vehicle just to get my hunter education equipment all in the vehicle and we just got more of that that I’m still not sure I am going to be able to haul all in one trip.

Now add the fact that there are times when I have to hook up a trailer and pull that loaded with equipment behind my vehicle when we are doing defensive tactics training or if I am moving a skid type bear trap, or for that matter just a bear trap with a bear of several hundred pounds.

If you were to see what all we have to do with these vehicles you certainly wouldn’t be thinking we needed a smaller one. We have tried that and believe me smaller vehicle aren’t a good investment at all for the vehicle needs we have, they don’t save money they cost more money in both gas and repairs.

R.S. Bodenhorn
first, i respect your views.

get smaller vehicle with side boxes on.they have locks to store.

put cab on back of truck to store.

get a trailer to haul heavy weight. you would be surprised to see how tough a well built trailer is, i see snowmobilers with over 1,000 pds of snowmobilers back on some of roughest roads in area.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who cares what they drive, I am a more concerned with what they do and how the PGC is managing the herd.

Quick Reply: How should Wildlife Management be funded?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.