Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 2008 Big Game records >

2008 Big Game records

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2008 Big Game records

Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 2008 Big Game records

ORIGINAL: the outsider

The amount of hunters in support of antler restrictions in Pennsylvania is also increasing as can be seen in the following.

Hunter support for antler restrictions:
2002.…………………57 %
2007.…………………63 %

How many hunters were polled? 10%? 20%? 50%? Polled statistics are how accurate? Either way, this isn't an ovewhelming % of hunters that support AR's. And at this rate, it will take 25 more years to have 90% approval rate.

I've been buying a hunting license for 54 years now, never received a questionnaire from the PGC. My guess would be, those that shot and reported harvesting a 2 1/2 year old or older buck, were the ones polled.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the majority of hunters that support ARs,support it because they believe the lies Alt told while selling it. They believe ARs doubled the number of 8 pts. and 2.5+ buck. They believe we'd have more and bigger buck than ever before and they believe ARs would increase breeding rates and buck harvests would return to normal after the first year of ARs. But it was all lies and breeding rates decreased by 5% and the breeding window didn't change because we always had enough buck to breed the doe.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

I have nothing against AR, we practice on my property and the neighbors, which we did before the AR rules came out. I feel that most hunters don't support it and it should be a personal choice, it hasn't helped the herd as Alt had said it would. Giving Alt the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he felt all the things he stated would be improved. What bothers me the most is when RSB comes up with these fictious things to try and support it. There was a point in time, when i started reading these management boards, that I believed what RSB would say.

I would not call him a liar, but he sure missed his calling, he should have been an Attorney.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

Dr Kroll did just that and your response was to say that he's biased
Kroll provided absolutely nothing to challenge the harvest data results from Miss. that showed rack sizes decreased Even Kroll's own research supports the theory of high grading which Dr. Demarais stated was responsible for the decrease in size.
explained, explained, and explained again
Lies , lies , lies and more lies. The sample size didn't drop by 50% in areas with high breeding rates or double in areas with low breeding rates. Both you and RSB have no clue what caused the 5% decrease in breeding rates.

First of all I don’t see anything in the Mississippi antler restrictions study or reports that are conclusive toward the antler restrictions being the cause of rack size declining. If you read the entire report they even admit that they can’t say that the antler restrictions were the cause because the study didn’t include any scientific controls.

It must also be recognized that there are many differences between both the antler restrictions and the season timing in relation to the breeding season between the two states.

I have included a link to the study for all to read and strongly encourage all to read it just to see how ole Bluebird tends to misrepresent what it does and doesn’t say.

http://msucares.com/pubs/publications/p2427.pdf

I am also going to provide a link to what Doctor Rosenberry points out concerning the differences between Mississippi’s study and the Pennsylvania antler restrictions.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=159582&pp=12&n=1

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

The amount of hunters in support of antler restrictions in Pennsylvania is also increasing as can be seen in the following.

Hunter support for antler restrictions:
2002.…………………57 %
2007.…………………63 %

How many hunters were polled? 10%? 20%? 50%? Polled statistics are how accurate? Either way, this isn't an ovewhelming % of hunters that support AR's. And at this rate, it will take 25 more years to have 90% approval rate.

Both polls were conducted by professional poll taking firms that used reliable samples of hunters by using a cross section of all license buyers.

How overwhelming should it have to be? Should we also required elected officials to have more then a 63% vote before we say they are a winner?

I’ll bet if 50.1% had said they didn’t want antler restrictions you would be jumping up and down if the Game Commission still decided to keep them though wouldn’t you?

The fact is that antler restrictions are gaining in support because hunters are seeing positive results that they like.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Coalcracker

I have nothing against AR, we practice on my property and the neighbors, which we did before the AR rules came out. I feel that most hunters don't support it and it should be a personal choice, it hasn't helped the herd as Alt had said it would. Giving Alt the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he felt all the things he stated would be improved. What bothers me the most is when RSB comes up with these fictious things to try and support it. There was a point in time, when i started reading these management boards, that I believed what RSB would say.

I would not call him a liar, but he sure missed his calling, he should have been an Attorney.

Why because I expose the myths and bring the facts to light for all to see?

I deal with Attorneys in the courtroom on a very regular bases and generally win the issues and arguments brought forward by them too.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

So, how accurate are the polls? And I wouldn't be bragging about 60% customer satisfaction. If 40% of my customers were dissatisfied with my performance, I'd be fired.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

So, how accurate are the polls? And I wouldn't be bragging about 60% customer satisfaction. If 40% of my customers were dissatisfied with my performance, I'd be fired.

No one said only 60% of the people in Pennsylvania were satisfied with the Game Commission. You would have to poll a cross section of all of the Commonwealth citizen to find out what the customers, as you call them, think. Hunters are NOT the only ones that have an interest in wildlife issues. Such polls have been done and the ratings show that the vast majority do support the management provided by the Game Commission. When I get time I will try to look that up and provide a link for since you.

The Game Commission isn’t in existence to satisfy customers though. The mission is to manage all of the state’s wildlife resources and their habitat for all of the citizens including future generations.

If 63% are happy with the antler restrictions that is a positive not a negative, except perhaps for those that simply don’t like them or have some agenda besides sound wildlife management they wish to promote.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 01-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

You sound like a weatherman. I can be right 60% of the time and still keep my job, which seems to be based mostly on speculation.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: R.S.B.

No one said only 60% of the people in Pennsylvania were satisfied with the Game Commission. You would have to poll a cross section of all of the Commonwealth citizen to find out what the customers, as you call them, think. Hunters are NOT the only ones that have an interest in wildlife issues. Such polls have been done and the ratings show that the vast majority do support the management provided by the Game Commission. When I get time I will try to look that up and provide a link for since you.

The Game Commission isn’t in existence to satisfy customers though. The mission is to manage all of the state’s wildlife resources and their habitat for all of the citizens including future generations.

If 63% are happy with the antler restrictions that is a positive not a negative, except perhaps for those that simply don’t like them or have some agenda besides sound wildlife management they wish to promote.

R.S. Bodenhorn
You forget who pays your salary in that state? Shouldn't only the hunters be voiced there? What gives the others who don't contribute to the PGC have a say so on wildlife?
How would your commision function without hunters? How would you be able to continue your wildlife programs of non hunting species if hunters wouldn't buy a license? I think you forgot who you work for. You work for the people who pay your salary. You people in PA. need to call them on who they work for. Who has priority over who. Hunters have the largest say so over any other group out there. Why, Because they pay the PGC bills.

Quick Reply: 2008 Big Game records

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.