Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 ARs= The Survival of the Weak and Scrawny >

ARs= The Survival of the Weak and Scrawny

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

ARs= The Survival of the Weak and Scrawny

Old 01-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ARs= The Survival of the Weak and Scrawny

bb what do you mean
What I mean is we are harvesting our best 1.5 and 2.5+ buck and leaving inferior inferior buck to do the majority of the breeding.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtruck

There's no mystery males with big horns tend to be larger and produce larger offspring. During the fall rut, or breeding season, these alpha mate more than any other males, by winning fights or thwarting other males' access to their ewe

bb what do you mean
not if you go by your link
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must be reading a different link, because the link I am reading says the bucks saved by ARs are inferior buck doing the breeding.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

its the link u provided i dunno how about this i believe you you win

Old 01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well guys, I had a weak moment and turned off the red button on BB2's thread when I saw the title that was strangely close to the garbage article on Newsweeks website the other day. Sure enough! It is the same article! At least I was rewarded with a good laugh.

Bluebird2 is so desperate to make his distorted case that he's willing to use a very poorly written article that is seriously lacking in real facts to help further his agenda. It's clearly a heavily biased anti-hunting artcle by one of the most liberal rags out there. The article is nothing more than aeco-weenie fluff piece by a junior reporter a year out of school with no knowledge of wildlife science. I suppose it might fool the average Newsweek reader but thats not a very dificult task now is it? I doubt it will fool anyone here.

One only has to look through the P&Y and B&C record books and note the unprecedented number of recent entries to realize that the article is pure PETA inspired bunk. Most hunted species have clearly evolved into bigger and better animals. Even the picture they used of old Teddy Roosevelt himself shows African animals that would be considered merely average by todays standards.

For any hunter, even Bluebird to cite this anti-hunter crap as the truth is indeed very sad.

Oh, and Dr Kroll would have a problem with this statement by BB

The majority of bucks saved by ARs are in fact inferior to the average buck saved in a non-AR herd. The Kroll study in Texas proved spikes were inferior for the rate of antler development.
Dr Krolls conclusions from that study were that spikes can not be judged as inferior because their genetic potential will not be fully apparent until they reach 4.5 years of age. An age that very few PA bucks will see, by the way.

Dr Kroll has also publicly denounced the Mississippi study as flawed because the study overlooked serious issues including but not limited to an extremely low doe harvest rate and a very poor BD ratio.

BTW, Dr Krolls conclusions are not on the web but are available in print in the July issue of North American Whitetail.

He doesnt win Bowtruck. He loses and so do allthe rest of uswhen one of our own stoops to using this kind of anti-hunter propaganda and implying that it's anything close to credible.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dr Krolls conclusions from that study were that spikes can not be judged as inferior because their genetic potential will not be fully apparent until they reach 4.5 years of age. An age that very few PA bucks will see, by the way.
Dr. kroll's study clearly showed that 1.5 spikes were inferior for the rate of antler development. That means the average buck saved by ARs in PA will be inferior for the rate of antler development. Therefore, the majority of bucks saved by ARs will pass on their genes for slow antler development and the average rack sizes of bucks will decrease.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Uh, not exactly.....

Forgive me but I think I'll rely on the conclusions of the man with a PHD in wildlife biology who conducted the study rather than the conclusions drawn by agame management wannabe who read only what he wanted to read from the study and who, by the way, demonstrated his knowledge of whitetailed deer this past season by only managing tosee three whitetail deer in 10 days while intentionally hunting for for them.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

The conclusions of the PHD who you support clearly state that 1.5 spikes are inferior for the rate of antler development. the results from Miss. prove that it is true and it also proves you don't have a clue about ARs or deer management in general.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

bluebird you are my hero if i could take 2 thing totaly diffrent put them together
and believe it i could bid jobs to make me a millonaire
you must be a wise old b/ser from way back
Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you aren't half as smart as you think you are !!!

Quick Reply: ARs= The Survival of the Weak and Scrawny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.