Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Who here thinks non-resident tags for ny are too expensive? >

Who here thinks non-resident tags for ny are too expensive?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Who here thinks non-resident tags for ny are too expensive?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who here thinks non-resident tags for ny are too expensive?

I'll pay the $110 for myself and my wife as required. No problem.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

110 doesnt sound bad

Illinois is 400+ for archery and almost 300 for gun plus almost 60 bucks for the season license

Arizona is 150+ for bow 150+ more for a season license. II think gun tags are even higher

110 for a non resident is on the low end
I see we agree on something, if your want to play you have to be willing to play.

My son bought 90 acres in Tioga County, N.Y. and built a home on it two years ago. We posted it and I bought a tractor and equipment to cut the overgrown fields, allowed one hunter to hunt there, but not shoot any doe or bucks without antlers wider than the ears. He spent half his time chasing trespassers off. My son made the thirty acres on the home side a santuary, for the safety of his home and two other neighbors homes.

This past year I tilled up some of the fields, planted soybeans, buckwheat and brassicas, we also cut browse in the santuary for the Winter.

Again it was hunted by only this one individual, except my son hunted one morning of bow, saw a nice five pointer, but the rack wasn't wide enough for him, so he left it walk. This individual that hunts it, also hunts there for coyotes with a friend of his, they sawa few nice buck and smaller racks before the season. First day of rifle, this individual saw a nice six pointer with a rack wider than the ears, he had heard two buck fighting before this deer came to him. He wasn't sure if my son wanted three or four to the side, so he didn't take a shot out of respect for my sons wishes. He said it was well worth it, just seeing a buck like that, made the day of hunting worth while. He said this buck was coming from a fight, looked like he must have lost,he sure would have liked to see what the winner looked like.

This year I'll be planting soybeans, clover and corn, then in the Fall I'llbroadcast brassica in the eaten down, worked out nice this past year, but we don't have enough field in production yet to carry throught the Winter.

If my son and I can put this money into buying land, equipment, seeds and fertilizer, plus our time and me running three hours each way to help the deer grow, without even hunting. I don't understand how a hunter can justify complaining about spending $110 to hunt? Here in PA, we have hunters that spend $20 for a license and $6 for an antlerless permit, then think they are paying too much if they don't fill both tags. Hunting is not a poor mans sport anymore, if you don't own land, belong to a lease or hunting club, it time to deal with the reality that your sucess ratewill be very low, as it should be.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Save yourself a little money and purchase a non resident super sportman license for $250. This entitles you to hunt duringbow, regular firearms and muzzleloader, turkey and fishing seasons issuing 3 deer tags and 1 turkey permit. You'll save yourself $80/yr.

I only get the regular deer season tag with a DMP doe tag.($10) For $120 I get 2 tags and fill them every year.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Last time I hit Idaho three years ago I think I paid like 250 for the license and another 100 for the clearwater area so $350 for one tag for gun only! I think I could shoot a whitetail, mule deer, bear or lion on the license. But just one overall.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Typical Buck

I wish they offered a lifetime license before I moved out of the state. 2 years afterI moved from NY they started it I think.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't think it is all that much when you consider the long seasons they have and can purchase the super sportsman tickets to keep the cost down on multi season hunts.