Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

bobcat in PA

Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: bobcat in PA

ORIGINAL: petropedro

ORIGINAL: DougE

Not many bobcats?Absolutely not true.There's loads of them in Pa.
what do you do for a living? you work for the pgc or what? how do you know these things you spout about on here? you unemployed or work part time or go to college? seriously what do you do and what facts do you have to back up your statements other than 2nd hand info or what you read on the pgc website? please tell us what qualifies you to know all bout pa wildlife numbers? how many deer do we have here in pa? you must know this oh great knowledgable one. how do you know we have loads of them here in pa?

Same questions right back atcha sport!

My troll alarm is going off!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well,first of all,I don't work for the PGC.Some of my information does come from the PGC website.For instance,on the website,you can see that they estimate the population at around 3500 adult animals.Back in 1995,they issued 615 bobcat permits and hunters checked in 221.that's a pretty high success rate,don't you think?Some of my information also comes from practical experience and from spending time in the woods with various experts on deer and the habitat.I've been working on a deer management project with foresters and biologists from the PGC,DCNR,PSU and the US forest service for about the past 5 years.I've seen their data,walked through the areas they're studying and have attended many of the tours they host.How bout you Sport,what have you done other than complain?

By the way,I saw two different sets of bobcat tracks on saturday while pushing deer for some buddies and yesterday, I saw two more sets about 4 miles a way.They're far from an endangered species.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DougE

Well,first of all,I don't work for the PGC.Some of my information does come from the PGC website.For instance,on the website,you can see that they estimate the population at around 3500 adult animals.Back in 1995,they issued 615 bobcat permits and hunters checked in 221.that's a pretty high success rate,don't you think?Some of my information also comes from practical experience and from spending time in the woods with various experts on deer and the habitat.I've been working on a deer management project with foresters and biologists from the PGC,DCNR,PSU and the US forest service for about the past 5 years.I've seen their data,walked through the areas they're studying and have attended many of the tours they host.How bout you Sport,what have you done other than complain?

By the way,I saw two different sets of bobcat tracks on saturday while pushing deer for some buddies and yesterday, I saw two more sets about 4 miles a way.They're far from an endangered species.
douge, i am seeing less bobcat tracks ,trapping is making difference.

yet, i heard a trapper say he released over 16 last winter ,that is lot , i think but he covers 3 counties each day, elk/potter/clinton.

1 year he got 21 coyotes.
he leaves home at 5 am and back at 6 pm EVERYDAY,i dont know hoiw his wife puts up with that.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know a few guys that catch and release several bobcats each year.I don't see how trapping can be having an impact on the population at all.If there's over 3500 bobcats and around 200 are being killed,that isn't even enough to keep the population stable.