Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hot Elk Tags

Old 02-25-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Hot Elk Tags

What is the most coveted area to draw an Elk tag in Colorodo?
I'm Looking for trophy bulls with a muzzle loader!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hot Elk Tags

How many years do you feel like waiting?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Ha, well said BB.

Gunner, based on what I can find, in 2002, you needed a minimum of 13 points to draw a ML tag in Unit 201. That is ALOT of patience...
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'll tell you this though. I hunt in an OTC area and there are plenty of trophy class bulls in the area if you are willing to put in the work. And no I don't mean 20 mile packins. You just gotta get away from the people.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:57 AM

I have 6 points now, I figured I needed to start doing some home work to see where to go, up untill now I have done very little.
I know unit 66 takes about 6 to draw for muzzle loader
Old 02-26-2004, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls said it exactly right there are areas where you can draw into where theres alot of big bulls but it doesn't mean you'll get one. What he said about quality elk in areas and all you have to do is get away from the people is right on key. Drawing into an area which is managed for bigger bulls is sure to have less people and on average nicer bulls. Good luck with you future elk tag.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 PM

I think the most coveted tag i could draw if i lived in colorado, would definately have to be a montana elk hunting tag
Old 02-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 3 PP and am going to burn them on a general Colorado muzzleloader tag this fall. I am going to look for 300" or bigger. I was going to do the PP accumulation thing .... but figure a good bull every year or two is better by far than a dandy bull every 12 years
Old 02-27-2004, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

Stealthycat your exactly right. I muzzleloader hunt about every three years. This year is will be archery. I love to do it all muzzleloader, rifle and bow. Opportunity of getting a tag is worth more to me than waiting ten years for a special tag. Besides who's out there telling these big bulls, your to be for this unit you need to be in the trophy draw area. haha
Old 02-27-2004, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

I know nothing about drawing a tag in Colorado so don't mind the dumb questions
In general you can buy a Bull tag in some locations but in others you have pp?
I see you are talking about muzzleloading season..thats different for getting tags PP only?
Can anyone give me a quick overview...
Thinking of going with someone this year (a regular on this board). We are buying our tags over the counter (rifle season). Thats why I'm confussed?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Hot Elk Tags

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.