Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Passing On Bucks- Food For Thought >

Passing On Bucks- Food For Thought

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Passing On Bucks- Food For Thought

Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Passing On Bucks- Food For Thought

I know quite a few guys like you too. Absolutely nothing wrong with it either. If you fill your tag with a buck that you're happy with then thats great! However, I know way too many self proclaimed "meat hunters" who will shoot the first buck that they see, not tag it or tag it with someone else's tag (just to say they killed a buck) and will hold out for a bigger one. Worse yet, are they guys who will kill every buck that they see....
Like there aren't some "trophy hunters" who shoot bucks that don't quite measure up in score once the deer is on the ground and then tag it with someone elses tag so that they could continue to hunt for that true monster??? Greed in hunting does NOT only apply to meat hunters.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

It seems to me that if you are going to shoot 1 deer per year and your goal is to increase the total number of buck in the woods then given the choice between a young buck or a doe you would be better severved to shoot the buck. When you let the buck pass, you've saved 1 buck. When you let the doe pass, you've saved many. When you take out the doe, you take out all the bucks she would have produced plus all the bucks her female offspring would have produced. It seems to me that shooting doe is a tactic to be used to control overall numbers. When the population is at or near capacity then we should kill doe to reduce or keep numbers in check. When the population is low, passing on doe will increase the numbers of both buck and doe. Once the population is at or near capacity and you still plan to to take only 1 deer then take the doe.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

From what I've experienced most people in PA poach. Meat hunters & rack hunters, neither one has that market cornered.

But as for the original question, my intent is to hold to my rough shooter standard (120"+ and 3.5 yrs old) and be prepared to go buckless. I've never been tempted with a tweener though to know if I have the will power to hold out. Now I was prepared to shoot something smaller than normal, but still not too small this past gun season because I wanted to take a buck with my revolver. Also depending on my plans for the late season if I have my longbow in hand any decent sized buck will get an arrow sent his way as I'm still looking for my 1st kill with trad gear.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Greed in hunting does NOT only apply to meat hunters.
I never said that it did. The motive behind taking more game that your state laws legally allow you too is GREED...end of story. I just find it funny that there are guys who claim that antler size means nothing to them but they're willing to break laws (aka poach) in order to get a chance at a deer with bigger antlers when they could legally take a doe or two if more meat is all that they really wanted.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Spike

Doesnt matter doe or buck I take the first legal deer that walks by me. Not going to sugar coat it I am out there to get a deer. Dont get mad if I dont but thats the main reason I go. To each his own is what I mean. What chafes me is the self proclaimed experts that put down others because they dont hunt they that the experts do.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

From what I've experienced most people in PA poach. Meat hunters & rack hunters, neither one has that market cornered.

But as for the original question, my intent is to hold to my rough shooter standard (120"+ and 3.5 yrs old) and be prepared to go buckless. I've never been tempted with a tweener though to know if I have the will power to hold out. Now I was prepared to shoot something smaller than normal, but still not too small this past gun season because I wanted to take a buck with my revolver. Also depending on my plans for the late season if I have my longbow in hand any decent sized buck will get an arrow sent his way as I'm still looking for my 1st kill with trad gear.
Your self imposed standard is realistic, and at the same time, moderately challenging for our region. That's a good minimum for a "PA trophy." Just curious how long you've been following that standard and how successfulyou've been in attaining it.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

SS

I’ve only been on that standard about 4 years. In PA I am 50% successful (both scoring in the 130” class) assuming I don’t get one in this late season. It took me a LONG time to shed the mentality to shoot the 1st buck I saw. Finally after so many 1-2 week long archery seasons I was ending my hunting much too early and slowly began raising my bar.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is truly impressive Ryan!

A 50% success rate while sticking to that standard is surely good cause to be proud!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I would shoot it the last day, I will shoot it the first day...
Old 12-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

If I would shoot it the last day, I will shoot it the first day...
How many buck tags do you get?

In PA you get one per year ,so some of us quite picky with how we use it.

Quick Reply: Passing On Bucks- Food For Thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.