Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rifle season 2008 is history >

Rifle season 2008 is history

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rifle season 2008 is history

Old 12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle season 2008 is history

There's a whole lotta folks that will disagree with ya doug.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

Doug, The deer arent managed to provide excellent hunting, in fact the sport of hunting itself is a very vague afterthought. Thats irresponsible, but thats the way it is.

Pgc isnt getting sued, screamed at by hunters, denied a license fee increase and supposedly soon audited thanks to our hunting being so great and our wildlife being so well managed in case you have not noticed.

Also worthy of mention, pgc is trying tosquirm out of the audit last I heard. Figures. Dont want the ugly truths revealed apparently. The truth that its a horribly failed program based on nothing (since breeding timing didnt change, embryos per doe etcDECLINED, and percent of adult doe declined) Do you think these things would SUPPORT the "plans science" in an audit?

Ha! Yeah right....
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DougE

Most of the state is not over harvested.Even 2g where we have the lowest dd in the entire state,has more than enough deer to provide excellent hunting.
The deer say you have no idea what you are talking about. When we had 1.6M PS deer in 2000 ,breeding rates and productivity were higher than they were in 2007. That means the habitat could support 1.6M very healthy deer and that means the harvests that produced a PS herd of less than 1M deer resulted in a statewide over harvest!!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

The deer say you have no idea what you are talking about.
According to the WCO reports on the PGC website,some WCOs for 2G also agree that Doug has no idea what he's talking about.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

I know that our wmu is being overharvested and we have FAR more deer than 2G. Thing is our area is some of the best habitat in the state. The deer herd was cut by over 50% to the ow herd. For no reason. Habitat never rated as poor and human conflict was low.

Aside from that, when the goal was REDUCTION we had an allocation of 45,000 doe tags and a harvest of 16,500 antlerless.

Ever since the goal has supposedly been STABILIZATION according to pgc. Only thing is, we have had 55,000 to 60,000tags and a harvest goal of 18,000!!!

That, my friend Doug, is PROOF of overharvest.

Has ZERO to do with how many deer I see or want to see. Has ZERO to do with good or poor hunting. The data shows the pure b.s. that we are being shoveled. You simply DO NOT reduce a herd with 45k tags and 16.5k harvest....Then for 3-4 years since, IN A NOW SMALLER HERD, every year sincehave 55-60k tags and expect me to believe we arent overharvesting vs. our stated supposed goal.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

I just got done reporting my last two dmap harvests on line.I know you don't believe that I actually havest deer on public land in 2G.Want me to fax the on-line receipts to you?
I'm sure you reported a harvest on all the tags you have, so there is no need to waste time on that subject.

For those of us that aren't as sucessful as you and donate deer each year for that special program to share our harvest. Do you have any receipts for donating your harvest? Is there a charge to help defray the butchering cost, which you would have a receipt for? Didn't you harvest one buck and two doe on that deer farm where you live, plus two ther DMAP tags for a total of 5 deer?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

BT,it got hammered every year.No matter where you went,you saw orange.We are talking about small localities because no WMu has been devistated by herd reductions.Once again,according to you're numbers,I hunt in theworst wmu,yet I'm consistantly successful in a variety of locations,all open to the public.It's notrocket science.

I never said more deercouldn't live in 2G.They obviously could but not at the expense of further damage being done.I can live with less deer for the future of the deer,other wildlife and for the forests themselves.

I probably couldn't find an excess of deer on your 40 acresjust like Icouldn't randomly select 40 acres in 2G and expect multiple deer sightings per day.No one should expect the PGCto provide those kinds of opportunities.Nope,I scout some,rely on past experience regarding potential food sources and hit the most likely places.Sometimes I'm wrong but most of the time I'm rewarded with venison and an exciting hunt.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I donated one deer to a buddy of mine that had a hip replacement.I even cut it up for him.Sorry,no reciept.I don't live on a deer farm either.I did however,kill three dmap doe and a buck on that property during archery.if the weather is decent,I plan on using my last dmap tag that I saved for the occassion.I killed two other dmap doe on public land which made a grand total of 6 deer this year.I didn't send in for a regular doe tag.No need to.Two hundred hunters hunted on that deer farm that you speak of and killed 8 bucks.How's that for a high success rate? You' think a deer farm would have a higher success rate than 4% wouldn't you?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

BT,it got hammered every year.No matter where you went,you saw orange.We are talking about small localities because no WMu has been devistated by herd reductions.Once again,according to you're numbers,I hunt in the worst wmu,yet I'm consistantly successful in a variety of locations,all open to the public.It's notrocket science.
No , only you are talking about small localities. The rest of us are talking about a statewide over harvest,which is above your level of comprehension. The area you are talking about around P&G was not over harvested ,although it might have been over hunted. But, the deer simply retreated to the posted land around the PGC plant and there were always lots of deer in the field across from the trucking terminal in the spring. That area of Wyo. county was never over harvested as you claim.
I probably couldn't find an excess of deer on your 40 acres just like I couldn't randomly select 40 acres in 2G and expect multiple deer sightings per day.No one should expect the PGC to provide those kinds of opportunities.Nope,I scout some,rely on past experience regarding potential food sources and hit the most likely places.Sometimes I'm wrong but most of the time I'm rewarded with venison and an exciting hunt
I don't expect the PGC to provide those opportunities, I just wish they wouldn't deprive me of those opportunities. You are benefiting from reduced hunter numbers in your area, but thousands of other hunters aren't experiencing the same benefit. I view your position as quite selfish and self centered and ignoring the long term effects of the current deer management plan.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

.Two hundred hunters hunted on that deer farm that you speak of and killed 8 bucks.How's that for a high success rate? You' think a deer farm would have a higher success rate than 4% wouldn't you?
A success rate of 4% is kicking deaddears gangs butt by almost............................................ .......oh yea 4 %

Quick Reply: Rifle season 2008 is history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.