Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rifle season 2008 is history >

Rifle season 2008 is history

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rifle season 2008 is history

Old 12-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle season 2008 is history

We have a very large number of camps within walking distance of ours. The valley out behind our camp is ANF property and we saw hardly a soul and no shooting, yet we saw deer and BUCKS as well. There were several camps where the guys never went out hunting until the second day when heard there was a little shooting going on. I think they just sat in camp and watched TV or something.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

We have a very large number of camps within walking distance of ours. The valley out behind our camp is ANF property and we saw hardly a soul and no shooting, yet we saw deer and BUCKS as well. There were several camps where the guys never went out hunting until the second day when heard there was a little shooting going on. I think they just sat in camp and watched TV or something.

just a half a guess, maybe all these hunters i saw on sat/mon/tuesday/wed felt that because of no doe hunting first week, they felt LOTS of doe would be alive for them and MOST of hunters would be out of woods when they got there for sat.

well, they got surprise, almost all hunters that were there on mon/tues/wed/thurs/ first week, came back for sat/mon.

LOCALS were in their treestands at 530 am on sat/mon.waiting for them to push a deer out.

1 crew on mon asked me,SPROUL WHERE ARE YOU GOING, I SAID, INTO HUNT MY SPOT WHERE I HUNTED FOR 47 YEARS.

they said,HEY WERE PUTTING ON A DRIVE.

i like to tackle the whole bunch when they say that.[:@]
Old 12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I was you could shoot a doe first week and they still didn't leave camp and the TV.

We used to have a hillbilly group that drove the valley and eachguy had a different vocalization call and they would call to each other continuouslyas they walked. We call them "The Yoopers". They didn't show this year. We have great territory Sproul, but we just don't see anything remotely like what you claim to be seeing.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Where I was you could shoot a doe first week and they still didn't leave camp and the TV.

We used to have a hillbilly group that drove the valley and eachguy had a different vocalization call and they would call to each other continuouslyas they walked. We call them "The Yoopers". They didn't show this year. We have great territory Sproul, but we just don't see anything remotely like what you claim to be seeing.
maybe they got a deer inearly in-line season.

i heard a few say they stayed at camp because they shot a doe in oct.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

Many guys have hung up their hats, due to the low deer numbers. Positives is that the deer will come back. Sadly many of those hunters will not. So some of you can wring your hands in selfish delight, enjoying your new found solitude, tout the loss of the "lazy slob hunters, weekend warriors, etc."..... Maybe that's what the PGC was trying to do all along...weed out the weekend warriors and transform PA into a trophy hunting destination. Well, you should all have no problems now filling your walls with trophies. After all, it IS a competition sport and less competition means more trophies on the wall for me. And we're all for making it easier and easier to harvest trophies. Food plots, mineral supplements, selective harvest.....soon every buck killed will make the record books, for sure!What an accomplishment and such a large and rare specimen of nature that deer will be. And as the herds grow beyond our power to control with our dwindling numbers, leading to mounting environmental and social pressures to reduce the herd again and PETA and their buddies come calling, then will we miss the strength of our numbers?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

If deer numbers begin to climb to formerly high levels, the one day guys will return.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Screamin Steel

Many guys have hung up their hats, due to the low deer numbers. Positives is that the deer will come back. Sadly many of those hunters will not. So some of you can wring your hands in selfish delight, enjoying your new found solitude, tout the loss of the "lazy slob hunters, weekend warriors, etc."..... Maybe that's what the PGC was trying to do all along...weed out the weekend warriors and transform PA into a trophy hunting destination. Well, you should all have no problems now filling your walls with trophies. After all, it IS a competition sport and less competition means more trophies on the wall for me. And we're all for making it easier and easier to harvest trophies. Food plots, mineral supplements, selective harvest.....soon every buck killed will make the record books, for sure!What an accomplishment and such a large and rare specimen of nature that deer will be. And as the herds grow beyond our power to control with our dwindling numbers, leading to mounting environmental and social pressures to reduce the herd again and PETA and their buddies come calling, then will we miss the strength of our numbers?
That was one of the most nonsensical rants I've ever seen.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Why? Strike a nerve? I like the avatar pic. You sure "grow" 'em big in Illinois!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry BTB, the man has some valid points !
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

No he doesn't.He wants more deer and easier hunting at the expense of the habitat.Anyone that hunts 2G and can't find deer either isn't hunting or they don't know how.

Quick Reply: Rifle season 2008 is history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.