Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Something I've noticed >

Something I've noticed

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Something I've noticed

Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Something I've noticed

Ok guys, something I've been noticing the last few years of gun season. It seems like every shot I hear these days, there is always at least 1 or more follow up shots in succession. Can most people not hit anything?

I dunno, it just seems funny to me. Yeah, I've taken a follow up shot or two in my time, but honestly, most of my shots are one shot and done. Not bragging or anything. I just make sure of my shots and get it done with one usually. Heck, in the woods, most shots are usually never farther than 100 yards.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Something I've noticed

Maybe that's what your hearing these days, but when I started hunting 30 years ago it was pretty much the same thing. Other than the fact that you heard volleys of shots every few minutes compared to a couple of shots every hour or two these days. There is NO comparison to the numbers of hunters back then compared to the fewer and fewer each season these days.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

man i've heard 5 or 6 shots on many occasions, the rednecks around here love to shoot em up.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted western New York a few years ago, and I honestly don't think I heard a single shot anytime I heard a gun go off. It was like it was a law to empty your shotgun whenever you shot a deer!. I was on private property where no one else was supposed to be hunting too.

I was actually concerned for myself!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Since they changed our WMU to a rifle zone a few years back, I have noticed less multiple shots being fired. However I still do hear it on occasion.

MIKE
Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

My slug gun (red dot scope), is sighted at 50 yds and I practice out to 100, of the last 20 deer I have taken, maybe 2 required more than 1 shot.

I hunt 20 acres private and My nieghbors hunt to.
3 years ago I was able to talk to 4 differant hunters that hunted with in 500 yards of Me on opening day.
Of the 16 shots that I was able to confirm who shot, 2 deer where taken (by Me)

Most of these guys pick up their gun opening day and go hunting.
They unload their gun the moment they see a deer, they are hunting from the ground, they do not sit for more than 1-2 hours, etc.

Use them to your advantage, get it early, set up deep, get up high, bring a hot lunch and sleeping bag (yeah I use a sleeping bag in My summit Viper), let them run deer to You.

Slack
Old 12-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 things -

Shotguns kill by hemmoraging - so unless you hit spine - the deer is likely to run off, sometimes without a lot of clues about how well its hit. With a pump or automatic - its easy & probably wise to shoot again if you can. I always did. I always count on the 1st shot to be spot on - but if the deer is still standing - or running off, I would have fired again. One time Ishot 4 times ( I was excited - and the buck was dead on his feet!)

Also for alot of those "Field Shots" we hear- hate to say it - but driving deer in NY has always been popular - and when deer are pushed.........its spray & pray for a lot of folks.

Our county went to rifle this year - and from the shots I heard in my area- about 1/2 of the hunters used rifle the other shotgun. Most of the multiple shots I heard were shotgun. We took 9 deer so far - 7 with rifle, and 2 with shotgun - no one shot twice. We generally stand hunt.

FH
Old 12-03-2008, 08:32 PM

It's prob people take crack shots at deer running and don't know where to aim to bring them down. You know this is the case because you hear 3 or 4 more shots about a couple hundred yards away and so long down the line till someone hits it or there are no shooters there. That is how it is now in PA. Not going to take a chance and let that deer get away. It is a needle in the hay stack kinda to speak. But I would say those multiple shots are deer that are on the run. Did it before myself until I learned where to place the shot on them running out to 250 yrds.

1. Learn how to shoot running deer and put them down
2. Buy a semi auto or pump and just let the lead fly and pray for a hit.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

When we go downState we here a lot of multiple shots .
Mainly do to the fact that its buck or doe .
My area did just change a couple years ago to include rifles .
Now there seems to be a lot less shooting going on .
A couple years ago during shotgune and doe season opening morning I shot my 12 gauge 5 times within a minute or less .
I ended up tagging 4 does .
So you never always no for sure why hunters are shooting more than once .
Old 12-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Ok guys, something I've been noticing the last few years of gun season. It seems like every shot I hear these days, there is always at least 1 or more follow up shots in succession. Can most people not hit anything?

I dunno, it just seems funny to me. Yeah, I've taken a follow up shot or two in my time, but honestly, most of my shots are one shot and done. Not bragging or anything. I just make sure of my shots and get it done with one usually. Heck, in the woods, most shots are usually never farther than 100 yards.

crews driving deer ,shoot at running deer, so you will hear extra shots.

others,usually 1 shot or 2 to put deer out of business if still alive.

then you have nuts that shoot at deer and empty their guns.

they call a FAWN a FURBALL.real a holes, for sure.[:@]

Quick Reply: Something I've noticed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.