Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Something I've noticed >

Something I've noticed

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Something I've noticed

Old 12-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Something I've noticed

I recently moved from the northern zone in ny to the southern zone and have noticed a large amount of multiple shots after the first one. Rifles can be that much more accurate and maybe that is why I too am noticingmultiple shots after the first onedown here compared to the northern zone.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I can say that for me it's true. Unfortunately my daily life makes things busy, which is most of our EXCUSES!.

My accuracy used to be an inch or less @ 100 yards and is now around 2 1/2 - 3 ".
I will keep any eye on the future and if this dips much past 4", I will reel in my shot distance in, not wanting too push my own personal limits.
I can say that last year before going to Texas I was practicing enough to get it close to that 1" window.
SO PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT or at least better.

Collectively, we need to make sure we our doing our part,ethically, to avoid wounding / maiming animals by being as accurate as humanly possible.
Secondly, I believe too many people force their shots, which again is all part of the ethics thingy!
Bottom line is everyone comes up with an excuse as to why an animal got away.
I would have a hard time believing that if an animal was broad side and the shot was accurate, that the animal would not go more than 100 yards before dieing, period.
I also believe this would help the management side of things, because people would have to pass on some animals, not having a conscious shot.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Edcyclopedia

Well I can say that for me it's true. Unfortunately my daily life makes things busy, which is most of our EXCUSES!.

My accuracy used to be an inch or less @ 100 yards and is now around 2 1/2 - 3 ".
I will keep any eye on the future and if this dips much past 4", I will reel in my shot distance in, not wanting too push my own personal limits.
I can say that last year before going to Texas I was practicing enough to get it close to that 1" window.
SO PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT or at least better.

Collectively, we need to make sure we our doing our part,ethically, to avoid wounding / maiming animals by being as accurate as humanly possible.
Secondly, I believe too many people force their shots, which again is all part of the ethics thingy!
Bottom line is everyone comes up with an excuse as to why an animal got away.
I would have a hard time believing that if an animal was broad side and the shot was accurate, that the animal would not go more than 100 yards before dieing, period.
I also believe this would help the management side of things, because people would have to pass on some animals, not having a conscious shot.
very good post.

my brother is very good hunter BUT his wife wants MEAT.

he is going nuts over it, he only gets 2 days to hunt a year as she keeps him busy .[:@]

you should have seen his face, he said,BROTHER SPROUL I TOOK A SHOT AT LITTLE OPENING ON DOE TODAY BUT I HIT A LIMB.

he did not even know what size of doe it was,only it was MEAT.

he said i was stupid for not shooting that big buck with my bow at 30 yards that was looking at me in wind.

i only shoot a buck behind shoulder, he said, JUST SHOOT.

MEAT is turning good hunters into lousy hunters and this is why you find a wounded deer.[:@]

Old 12-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Accourding to you sproul,there is no deer to be wounded in your area of the woods. I have seen 7 live deer and 4 dead ones all this week from our drives. Maybe someone else might have to give your brothers wifesome meat to keep her happy if your brother is rushing it and not getting the job done.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sammy_tat

Accourding to you sproul,there is no deer to be wounded in your area of the woods. I have seen 7 live deer and 4 dead ones all this week from our drives. Maybe someone else might have to give your brothers wifesome meat to keep her happy if your brother is rushing it and not getting the job done.
i dont think anyone will give venison away this year in CLINTON COUNTY.

he was hunting on my PRIVATELAND ,i did not even want him shooting a doe[:@]

i hunt on stateforestland in the SPROUL FOREST.

47 years there, i am not changing.

why all dead deer, we only found 1 deer last year in about a 10 mile area.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it's got a twitch I'm going to pound it again. You can be the best shot in the world but i have seen deer go 100 yards on blown out lungs to be harvested by a yahoo that just knocks em' over. I'm a good shot, but i don't want them going onto someone elses property oif they have some life in them/ These are tough animals to kill!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not disputing that follow up shots aren't neccesary. It just seems there are an aweful lot of "empty the gun" shots going on from what I can hear. Our camp this season so far killed 7 bucks and 2 does in the first week. I believe only 2 of those deer needed a follow up shot.

The point is, with a high powered rifle like most of us carry, shooting at 100 yards or less, on a GOOD SHOT OPPORTUNITY, most of these deer shouldn't leave your sight.

Things happen, I realize this. I've had stupid things happen as well. It just seems like more and more guys sound like "wall of lead" hunters these days.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

I'm not disputing that follow up shots aren't neccesary. It just seems there are an aweful lot of "empty the gun" shots going on from what I can hear. Our camp this season so far killed 7 bucks and 2 does in the first week. I believe only 2 of those deer needed a follow up shot.

The point is, with a high powered rifle like most of us carry, shooting at 100 yards or less, on a GOOD SHOT OPPORTUNITY, most of these deer shouldn't leave your sight.

Things happen, I realize this. I've had stupid things happen as well. It just seems like more and more guys sound like "wall of lead" hunters these days.
congrats on bucks,thats a lot of bucks.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproul....thankfully, thats all from our 600 acres of private land I'm fortunate enough to have to hunt on.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Sproul....thankfully, thats all from our 600 acres of private land I'm fortunate enough to have to hunt on.
it was so cold this afternoon that when i went to empty my gun, the shells were frozen in chamber.

i have not had that happen in about 37 years

Quick Reply: Something I've noticed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.