Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA. >

BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA.

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA.

i was shocked when i heard a group of local hunters this week in kettle creekwith 5 bear they shot with a bow.if true.

heck, i cant even see one in gun season ,let alone shoot one with a bow.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA.

I saw 2 in the local paper here yesterday two buddies shot in the same day together. I mean congrats to them but heck we can't even kill one rifle hunting. I know baiting is not legal here but it get u to thinking.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: deerslayer223

I saw 2 in the local paper here yesterday two buddies shot in the same day together. I mean congrats to them but heck we can't even kill one rifle hunting. I know baiting is not legal here but it get u to thinking.
they caught some here in clinton county,pa. baiting in bears this week at camp.[:@]

i agree, everyone is talking how can you go into area and shoot 5 bears with a bow.i guess you can do,they did it. unreal
Old 11-23-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

When they first announced this season, I never thought they would get 5 bears across the entire state. Either we got some of the most incredible bow bear hunters, or a lot of "tipping the odds".
Old 11-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Goodluck to everyone going out for the bear opener tomorrow and for the rest of bear season. Guys im goin with did some scouting tonight found 7 fresh sets of tracks and saw 1 bear so hopefully with a little luck our group can punch a few tags.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Here is a story about one bear here in my district this fall.

The first part of October I got am incident about someone hitting a cub bear on Route 66 near Russell City very early in the morning. The report had pretty good directions but said the bear had dragged itself back into the wood off of the road. I got up there a few hours after it was hit to look for it but figured it was a long shot finding it unless it was laying there dead since I didn’t know just where exactly to look.

I parked and started along the stretch of road and started walking down the one side looking for any evidence of the bear. After about a hundred yards a bear walked across the road in front of me but it was obvious there was nothing wrong with it. That did cause me to think that maybe their was a cub laying close by though and mom was sticking close by since the bear I saw was about the size of a typical sow bear. After walking all around on both sides of the road where the bear had crossed I just couldn’t find anything and gave up. As I was walking back toward my vehicle, on the opposite side of the road I found some matted down weeds along the edge of the road so I followed that back in to the woods a short distance and sure enough there was a bear laying there. It was obvious it wasn’t a cub though.

I thought it was dead but, once I got to about ten feet it raised it’s head, looked at me and got on its feet and limped off a short distance and looked back at me. I looked it over and figured it had a broken back leg but everything else looked ok. I couldn’t see any bones sticking out and large cuts so I figured ok lets see what we can do for this one.

I left and went to get my tranquilizing equipment and some help. I got my equipment, Deputy Ron Beeler, WCO Doty Mc Dowell and his father in law who had never seen a bear processed. We came back, walked up on the bear and stuck it with the jab stick, which it promptly turned and tried to grab. Shortly it want out and we, checked her over, got the tags installed and the tooth removed. She had a broken right rear leg but the injury was high, no bones protruding and we figured she would probably recover nicely and probably come out of her winter den fully recovered. Since it was a young female we decided to put a collar on it to add another breeding age female to the females we can track to den sites each winter. The collar also had a mortality sensor in it so we would know if she died and we could recover both her and the collar.

A couple days later she had moved a short distance and we dropped a road killed deer nearby for her. Then we left her alone since it was obvious she was going to make it.

On the first afternoon of archery bear season WCO McDowell and I spend several hours driving around the Russell City, James City, Pig Ear, Four Corners, Sackett and Highland areas trying to get signal on our collared bear. We couldn’t find her.

Later that night Doty got a call about a legal archery bear harvest near St. Marys. The next morning Doty processed that archery kill and sure enough it was our collared sow bear. She had been harvested as she was making her way into a corn field just a few miles outside of St. Marys. That would be about twenty air miles from where she had been hit on the road and collared just five or six weeks earlier.

It didn’t work out just as we had planned it but our efforts did provide one more hunter an opportunity of a life time so it was well worth the effort.

Here is picture of me training Deputy Beeler on removing a tooth for aging as we processed that young female the day she was hit on the road and collared.

R.SBodenhorn

Old 11-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story RSB. How hard is it to pull a tooth out of a bear?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:28 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

It isn’t hard at all if you are taking the correct tooth out. The tooth we take out is a very small tooth that sits right behind the canine tooth (both top and bottom) and just barely protrudes through the gums. It lays back at an angle below the gum line and is very easy to remove if you break the membrane around the tooth first and then work it back a forth a bit.

If you tried to pull any other tooth you would have a very difficult time getting it out and the removal would be harmful to the bear. I’ll have to try to remember to take a picture of the small tooth we remove and post it for all to see just how small it really is.

The tooth is sent out to wherea thin slice is removed, dyed and examined under a microscope. The tooth gets a ring, like a tree, each year and that is how it is aged. It does require a microscope though to count the rings.

R.S. Bodenhorn
Old 11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

that is story, for sure.20 miles.
i had bear in my yard 3 years ago,it was hit by car in renovo area.

i saw same bear limpimg at kettle creek park which is 15 miles from renovo,1 week later.

at check bear station they had 42 bears checked in as of 8 pm in western clinton county.

i believe that is way lower than last year, i think last year was over 100 or so.

weather was great until 4 pm.

..biggest bear was around 480 pds and smallest was abot 30 pds or so, guy brought it in withs guts in it , it weighted 41 pds live.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks!

ORIGINAL: RSB

ORIGINAL: White-tail-deer

It isn’t hard at all if you are taking the correct tooth out. The tooth we take out is a very small tooth that sits right behind the canine tooth (both top and bottom) and just barely protrudes through the gums. It lays back at an angle below the gum line and is very easy to remove if you break the membrane around the tooth first and then work it back a forth a bit.

If you tried to pull any other tooth you would have a very difficult time getting it out and the removal would be harmful to the bear. I’ll have to try to remember to take a picture of the small tooth we remove and post it for all to see just how small it really is.

The tooth is sent out to wherea thin slice is removed, dyed and examined under a microscope. The tooth gets a ring, like a tree, each year and that is how it is aged. It does require a microscope though to count the rings.

R.S. Bodenhorn

Quick Reply: BOWHUNTING FOR BEAR IN PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.