Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 WHERE TO HUNT IN WESTCHESTER?? >

WHERE TO HUNT IN WESTCHESTER??

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

WHERE TO HUNT IN WESTCHESTER??

Old 10-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Default WHERE TO HUNT IN WESTCHESTER??

Hi, i'm new to here and was wondering if anyone knew of a public hunting area in westchester county I can go too. I live on L.I. but would like a nicer place with less ticks to bowhunt with my son. I'm looking for a nice town to maybe stay at a decent hotel while I'm up there. I've never been in westchester, so really have no idea where to start at. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHERE TO HUNT IN WESTCHESTER??

I doubt the ticks are much better in Westchester. Finding a place to hunt up there will not be easy. There is very little public land and most of the private land is in small parcels so even if you are lucky enough to find a landowner that will let you hunt, there will hardly be enough room for both you and your son to hunt on together. Yes, there are some big bucks there, but hunting there is definitely not a wilderness experience. It is hunting in suburbia like it is on Long Island. I would definitely recommend going further north in NYS for a better overall hunting experience for you and your son.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for the tip, can you recommend at place thats not too far from L.I.? I used to go to cooperstown which was perfect, but thats a long 4 hour drive. What about the outskirts of Albany or Putnam county?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/html/wat...maps.html#maps

The DEP owns a bunch of land in the Hudson valley and the Catskills most of which is now open to hunting. Above is the link. You need a special access number and hunting tag, but it's all free and you could get it on-line. They even have a bit of land in Westchester, but not a heck of a lot. DEP land is worth a try and will probably be hunted less than other public land in the area. Hunting on private land would be the best bet, but I know it's not exactly easy to find a place these days even further north of the city.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Fork Horn

just get the Tick CHigger spray. it works GREAT. permethrin spray from cabelas. i got it and it works GREAT! believe me! im out on longisland alot latley and knock on wood. tick/chigger free.
thanks goodluck!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM

Hey Steve, thanks alot, I used that website, its great, I checked the local towns in Putnam county, (I think it was Putnam) on mapquest to find there general location in NY, was looking for places close to L.I., I found "East Fishkill", it states that its only 2 hours away, I'm going to look into motels up there and if it sounds good, will go up there to try to bowhunt.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Spike

Ant1862,
I live in southern Dutchess county and have been on many of the NY state MUA's as well as the DEP sites insouthen Dutchess and Putnam counties.
PM me if you want some more info on the areas and/or hotel info and I'd be happy to help you out.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont believe there is any public land in Westchester co. but you can bow hunt in Clarence Fawnstock(faunstock?) state pk in putnam county, which is just N. of westchester, off the taconic pky(I think).