Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Pa Game Comm. Overhaul >

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Old 12-22-2009, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry i missed you post with the link, but in this case it looks like we were both right. However, I am surprised that they didn't extend the seasons in 1998 and 1999 when we had 3 days of rain and fog and harvests that allowed the herd to n 13 % in 1998 and by 15 % in 1999. Could it be they wanted the herd to increase so Alt could use that to sell his plan?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Sorry i missed you post with the link, but in this case it looks like we were both right. However, I am surprised that they didn't extend the seasons in 1998 and 1999 when we had 3 days of rain and fog and harvests that allowed the herd to n 13 % in 1998 and by 15 % in 1999. Could it be they wanted the herd to increase so Alt could use that to sell his plan?

Apology accepted.

I'd really like to see where it was ever said that the season couldn't be extended. I really cant recall ever hearing that.

As for 98 and 99 I couldn't guess what was in the decision making process but I doubt that your Alt conspiracy theory was the reason. Those that opposed him then for the most part were already the ones that had complained virtually since the first bonus tag was issued. There would have been little effect either way form what you suggest.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was extended in 1985 and again in 1987 or 1988.I remember specifically because the one year I missed doe season because of finals in college and got to hunt that saturday.I remember that vividly because I took my brother's brand new 06 out in the freezing rain and he was ready to kill me.He was equally upset when I shot a doe with it and it didn't drop on the spot.I'm not positive,but I believe it was also extended in either 1992 or 1993.We got three feet of snow that doe season and got dumped on again that march.I beieve the extension was 2002.I know for a fact it happened at least twice if not three times since 1980.

BT is also correct about them realizing that they had no authority to extend the seasons several years later when they wanted to.I forget the details though and don't know if it was ever fixed.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

The GC was given the opinion from it's staff attorney that extending doe season with out going thru the whole process of notifying the public and allowing so many days for public input would be in violation of Commonwealth code.

They could extend doe season but it would have to occur like late Jan or Feb if you followed the law. By then almost all deer are anterless and you would most likely be dealing with terrible hunting weather and impassible mountain roads.

Gino
Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't they have to give something like a 30 day notification?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

As for 98 and 99 I couldn't guess what was in the decision making process but I doubt that your Alt conspiracy theory was the reason. Those that opposed him then for the most part were already the ones that had complained virtually since the first bonus tag was issued. There would have been little effect either way form what you suggest.
Alt wasn't in charge in 1998 and 1999, but the plans were already in place to push for further HR so DCNR could get their forests re-certified.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Alt wasn't in charge in 1998 and 1999, but the plans were already in place to push for further HR so DCNR could get their forests re-certified.
EXACTLY! That's why Tioga County had 20K antlerless allocations in 1997 as opposed to the ordinary 12K-14K.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Sproul, Spurs, Germain, Jim,DennyF, Doug I cant be the only one who's long enough in the tooth enough to remember those days. It would have been in the 70's and 80's. there was even a big flap about the times they tried moving doe season to the end of the week for a few years because it didnt leave time for an extension without getting too close to the holidays.
Sorry. But I recall very little from the 70s for reasons I won't disclose. And in the 80s I can't recall firearms seasons because I always had my tag filled during archery season and never had the need , interest or desire to participate in the deer firearms seasons.

Last edited by ManySpurs; 12-22-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Apology accepted.

I'd really like to see where it was ever said that the season couldn't be extended. I really cant recall ever hearing that.
Straight from the horses mouth in an email dated 11/3/2009

We have discussed your suggestion and we will have to make some changes to give the Executive Director the authority to extend the season. My understanding is that we are working on having that in place for the 2010 season. I would like to have specific harvest goals that would trigger the extensions, with various options that can meet the population goals.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
Straight from the horses mouth in an email dated 11/3/2009
Thanks MS.

Quick Reply: Pa Game Comm. Overhaul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.