Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Opening day of Bow in DE......... >

Opening day of Bow in DE.........

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Opening day of Bow in DE.........

Old 09-03-2008, 01:57 PM

Default RE: Opening day of Bow in DE.........

All I use is a thin balaclava if the bugs are bitin'. Same one I use for turkey hunting.

pick, where do you hunt at on the canal? I live at the end of Frazer Rd. so that would be real close for me to go after work during the week. Not trying to steal any spots but would love to be able to get out after work.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Fork Horn

I actually hunt on the other side of Lums pond. More toward the bridges. Lots of land there to hunt. I think even right next to you.....

Did ou hunt Lums last year? Looks like some good areas and the archery only areas limit hunters. I'm goign to check it out a bit once they open the season there.

I tried getting out a few times last year and got chased off my stand by all the Asian Tiger Misqt's. This year I am ready for them. Just can;t wait for the temps to be in the low 60's in the am.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:55 AM

No I never have hunted at Lums. I'll have to check that out though. Thanks for the info. I guess I would have to get a permit to archery hunt within the park huh? If so do I just go to the office right there or what? I'mm gonna check out some spots next week on the canal towards the rte. 1 bridge. Hopefully I can find a good spot to hunt after work during the week.

Those mosquito's are the size of bats over there....lol. They'll pick you up and carry you away.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Not sure if you know this. There are very large trails through the entire canal system. If you don't mind putting on a few miles. I recommend strapping on the GPS and walking them. I don't know the area that well but, last year I took a couple walks and it perked my interest a bunch. I'll be looking for a few spots in the early season. Only problem and I'm sure you know this...it is not easy to walk around with the pricker bushes. God there everywhere.

Always looking to hunt with other bow hunters if the timing ever works out.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

where are u talking about and what side of the canal. i know the south side has alot of swamp that the deer have mastered.
i am scared to walk through that stuff, but i guess if u are following a well used deer trail, u have no worries of being
sucked in by a MUD hole or something?? i know in the winter time, the trails in the swamps are very evident. u just was the edge
of fields and u can see the most used areas. i like packing my ground blind in the winter and chasing the deer with it...double bull baby
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: firststate

Temps got into the mid 80's by mid-day. First thing in the morning was nice though. I guess it was around 60 degrees. Had a buck at 60 yrds and a doe at 50 yrds. Not comfortable with that far of a shot. I like to keep them within 40yrds. I was out of the woods by 9am and off to my parents house to help get ready for the BBQ. It was nice to get out into the woods after a slow crabbing season this year.
Did you hunt the Meadows Tract? I was at a picnic monday at the Meadows Tract. A friend lives in the last house, heading back to the education center parking lot. He works for Blackbird Forest. I did also...seasonal job. I haven't been out yet...too darn hot. Supposed to cool down in the middle of the week.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:49 PM

I have hunt Ceadar swamp 3x and seen a fox, squirrel, and a friggin musk rat eating corn off the cob i was like wtf. hunted 2nite in the storm stayed nice and cool no bugs and watched a tree fall
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM

Yeah I do know about all of the trails and such up on the canal. I used to work for the retrieving club during events in the retrieving areas. The briar bushes are definately plentiful in there though. That's why man invented brush pants...lol.

I usually won't go through any heavy mud unless I have my waders with me. During the warmer months I am not about to take my waders that have 1000 grams of thinsulate in them with me anywhere. I'd be sweating bad.

Bow, Actually my brother talked me into going over behind my parents development off of Caldwell Corner Rd. It is pretty hot but I figure I'd rather be out hunting or crabbing in it then to be at work.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

The state bought 2 farms behind the weigh station last summer. Corn and beans there but also a lot of hunters as they are starting to find out about the place. It's bowhunting only. Scouted it last year and as soon as I get my bow back I'll be in there, Wed I hope seeing that the temps are only supposed to reach high 70's. Opening day there was 4 trucks in each place. Lums I scouted with the head guy over there and he showed me a few spots. That would ideal with the time change as I work in Delaware City and get off at 2.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Bummer that I work all the way up in Blue Bell, PA. Not condusive to hunting on the week days. Would love to get out at least one evening a week, then Sat as well.

I skipped this week since it was so humid on Sat morning. Evening looked nice as stated above and of course today (Sunday) feels great and can't hunt [:'(].

Love hear the reports.. .keep them coming.

Quick Reply: Opening day of Bow in DE.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.