Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA deer Quizz

Old 08-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA deer Quizz

I will take an 8, but only if he is REALLY huge. That is true.
I do have high expectations.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Therefore, your experience is not representative of the average archer.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archers tend to have higher goals in general, yes.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is common among archers to pass on immature bucks because a kill would exclude them from any further buck hunting for the year, yetthey still mustalways pay for two licenses. Many I know will have higher standards that early in the year. Archers tend to be more immersed in the hunting experience.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Bluebird the following information should set the record straight. Take your time and go to the attached link. The tabled information below is from this study. Part ofthe study'scontent tells you just how Dr. Alt's plan was precisely about reducing the out of whack doe population. This table gives the ratio as 14:1 the year prior to the implementation of Dr. Alt's plan and it was like that for many many years. Wish you would get your facts straight!
Are Antler Restrictions Working In Pennsylvania?
Jason Miles
[/align][/align]http://www.lhup.edu/smarvel/Seminar/...Miles_2/PA.htm[/align][/align][/align]WINTER WINTER WINTER
2002 2003 2004
before after after
implementationfirst season second season

ratio of adult ratio of adult ratio of adult
does to does to does to
adult bucks adult bucks adult bucks
14:1 10:1 2:1

[/align]
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for that link NYC Hunt A M and welcome to Huntingnet!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

his table gives the ratio as 14:1 the year prior to the implementation of Dr. Alt's plan and it was like that for many many years. Wish you would get your facts straight!
After reading that link I can certainly understand why you believe I don't have my facts straight and don't know what I am talking about. However, in an attempt to show how well ARs are working the author intentionally mislead the readers of that article. The ratios he cited are the ratios of trapped deer after hunting season , rather than the adult pre-season B/D ratio. Since between 80-85 of the legal buck are harvested each year it is expected that the adult B/D ratio would be heavily skewed toward adult females. Something else to consider is the majority of the deer trapped were caught using cannon nets , so the operator that triggered the nets could influence the ratio of the deer that were caught.As I recall,from memory, 2004 was the first year of the antlered buck study and they were specifically trying to capture adult buck rather than just any deer.

Now, just so you don't think I am totally out of line ,and continue to believe the stats in the article, think about this for a minute. In 2001 we harvested around 203,000 adult buck so the preseason buck population was at least 250K. If the adult breeding population was 1:14 ,then there would have been 2,600,000 adult doe and an equal number of fawns ,for a total preseason population of around 5,450,000, instead of the 1.37 M the PGC claimed we had in 2001.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

his table gives the ratio as 14:1 the year prior to the implementation of Dr. Alt's plan and it was like that for many many years. Wish you would get your facts straight!
After reading that link I can certainly understand why you believe I don't have my facts straight and don't know what I am talking about. However, in an attempt to show how well ARs are working the author intentionally mislead the readers of that article. The ratios he cited are the ratios of trapped deer after hunting season , rather than the adult pre-season B/D ratio. Since between 80-85 of the legal buck are harvested each year it is expected that the adult B/D ratio would be heavily skewed toward adult females. Something else to consider is the majority of the deer trapped were caught using cannon nets , so the operator that triggered the nets could influence the ratio of the deer that were caught.As I recall,from memory, 2004 was the first year of the antlered buck study and they were specifically trying to capture adult buck rather than just any deer.

Now, just so you don't think I am totally out of line ,and continue to believe the stats in the article, think about this for a minute. In 2001 we harvested around 203,000 adult buck so the preseason buck population was at least 250K. If the adult breeding population was 1:14 ,then there would have been 2,600,000 adult doe and an equal number of fawns ,for a total preseason population of around 5,450,000, instead of the 1.37 M the PGC claimed we had in 2001.
Wrong again. Your conclusion regarding the deer numbers in 2001 are simply wrong because they are based on an incorrect assumption.

2001 was the one year thatthe last day of "buck" season became a one day concurrent season followed by the traditional three day doe season. By Gary Alts own admission, it was a big mistake adding 13% more overall in that one day to the buck harvest that year by putting many more hunters into the woods therefore the buck harvest was skewed that season
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

2001 was the one year that the last day of "buck" season became a one day concurrent season followed by the traditional three day doe season. By Gary Alts own admission, it was a big mistake adding 13% more overall in that one day to the buck harvest that year by putting many more hunters into the woods therefore the buck harvest was skewed that season
It doesn't matter if the bucks were killed the first day or the last day, they were still there to be harvested.

If the 2001 buck harvest was skewed as you claim, can you explain how we harvested 165K buck in 2002 ,when approx. half of the 1.5 buck were protected by ARs?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bluebird2

2001 was the one year thatthe last day of "buck" season became a one day concurrent season followed by the traditional three day doe season. By Gary Alts own admission, it was a big mistake adding 13% more overall in that one day to the buck harvest that year by putting many more hunters into the woods therefore the buck harvest was skewed that season
It doesn't matter if the bucks were killed the first day or the last day, they were still there to be harvested.

If the 2001 buck harvest was skewed as you claim, can you explain how we harvested 165K buck in 2002 ,when approx. half of the 1.5 buck were protected by ARs?
Of course it doesn't matter. It doesn't fit your agenda. No facts figures or accepted science are good enough foryou if they dont fityour agenda.

Quick Reply: PA deer Quizz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.