Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Spotting deer in PA? >

Spotting deer in PA?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Spotting deer in PA?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spotting deer in PA?

In the late 60s and early 70s when I went coon hunting with my cousin in Steuben, Potter and Tioga a few times, wasn't unusual to hear the occasional kaboom way off somewhere's at 1 o'clock in the morning. One night we were halfways up a steep hill and taking a break, whena shotwent off not too far away.

My cousin seldom says much, butcommented thatsomeone must've run out of 22 ammo and had to usetheir 30-06 to hunt coons. Couldn't see his face there in the dark, but assumed he grinned when he said that?
Old 08-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sproulman, how can you take a thread on spot lighting and turn it into a an anti Xbow campaign. And the story you tell is magnificent to say the least! I would love to learn how to tie a line on a 20 inch bolt and shoot a duck. Please start another thread on that topic as I have much to learn. ...... Spotting is fun and we keep logs of who saw what where. There is always jacklighters, ruins the game w/there 22 's. We have seendeer sparring, youngsters jumping and having fun just enjoyable to watch. We have seen coyotes on the stalk of fawns and herd, just amazing sites. I miss it here in OH.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey! Dont question Sprouls stories! He never fibs!

I heard a similar story from that neck of the woods from a reliable source. I know he's reliable because he always shows up at the same bar every night and sits in the same stool for hours. Thats reliable!

It seems some Cameron county locals were shooting ducks with their crossbow at night. Well they were having a decent night and while reeling in a small duck, a huge bass swallowed it and so they had a record bass on the line. Unfortunately, the bass was eaten by a huge musky! After a long battle the musky was beached only to be snatched up by a coyote. They almost had the coyote in when a cougar snatched the coyote and took the line back out. The cougar put up a great fightand they almsot had it in when a saquatch grabbed the cougar and broke the line. The unlucky crossbow anglers started home discouraged as day was breaking but their bad luck wasn't over yet. As they passed through the stateforestland a big crew of kid hunters from the flatlands were putting on a big drive to get the last buck on the mountain. The buck broke from cover and the brown it's down crew opened up on him. There was so much lead flying sround that a locust limb was cut clean off and fell through their truck windsheild, bounced out and smashed their bassboat.

True Story!!!!!
Old 08-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

Only problem I had with that entirepost, was your definition of "reliable".

We called them what shows up every night to occupy the same barstool, barflies. If they repeated the same tales night after night, we called them the local PITA barflies.

It's about the onlything I miss about drinkin' beer andhangin' out in ginmills, since I gave 'er up around 19 years ago...all that great outdoorslore one gets to hear.

[8D]