Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Which Spotting Scope to buy???? >

Which Spotting Scope to buy????

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Which Spotting Scope to buy????

Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Which Spotting Scope to buy????

Looking at buying a Spotting Scope and was wondering which scope would be the best for the money. Looking at spending up to $600 - $700 on a good scope. I would be willing to spend a little more if there is a big difference in quality.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which Spotting Scope to buy????

The pros use KOWa I love mine.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you’re looking at spending that type of cash you should be able to get a good one. Allot better then my Leupold Sequoia...
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may wish to consider Nikon. Their TF3 is a super scope with ED glass. I love mine.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

For a little more you could get a Pentax 60-65mm ED. Rate as good as any scopein it's size by Better ViewDesired and for less money than Leica, Zess, or Swarvo.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:33 PM

Dont let anyone tell you that their $500 glass is equal to the ziess,swaro,lieca, ect. THEY ARE NOT. BUT...the do not cost as much either. You get what you pay for whith glass. In your price range look at nikon, pentax , ect... also know what is the next price/quality lay ABOVE your budget, that way if one of those drifts through your sites at the lower price you can pull the trigger quickly and snap it up.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:51 PM

With the money you are willing to spend you are in the range of Pentax ed series. Probably the one with the 65 mm objective which is 550. Also look at the Meopta eostar S1 75mm. It is just iver 700 and made in Czech Republic. Also check out the Fujinon Field scope 80mm. Should be about 675. Cabelas Alaskan guide is a high quality Japanese piece with high quality optics. ABout 450. Also the Cabelas Big sky is probably thier top o the line scope. I can find no fualt with the quality of Cabelas scopes (and binos and riflescopes) at all. But the Big sky does not have great eye relief so they are a pain to use with eye glasses. But most peopl take off thier glasses when they look thru thier scopes anyway.
The Minox company makes a good German scope. The MD is in your range and the higher quality ED is just barely in your range.
Good luck
Old 08-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

If you could swing the Pentax 80mm ED I would. Better View calls it their new "reference standard" (best scope at any price).