Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Wheeling, WV Area >

Wheeling, WV Area

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wheeling, WV Area

Old 07-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wheeling, WV Area

Anyone in the Wheeling, WV area seeing anything good? I have access to 500 private acres that I will be visiting in a few weeks and getting ready for the season. Just curious what is going on since I can't keep up with it all the time. If anyone is in that area and wants to meet when I am in town let me know. I am not far from the Cabelas. I will be arriving on the 31st of July.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wheeling, WV Area

I hunt in Braxton County, WV...in the middle of the state. But, a good friend of mine hunts in Cameron, WV and I've been to the farm that he hunts. The last 2 years they have been seeing NO deer on their farm. It's 150 acres and has good food and cover.

I'm not saying that this is representative of the entire area...but it's been pathetic in their area. I hunted there last fall and in 3 days I saw 2 deer and I was close to several white oaks that were droppin acorns.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hopes for good things in this area have really dropped. I saw a map that outlined the last 10 years of P&Y production by county and this area is terrible. Don't really understand why. I will still hunt it a few times this year but don't think it will produce much. I have seen tons of deer at this property the last two years but not much in the way of great bucks. Ton's of doe.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pro-Line

I hunt in Braxton County, WV...in the middle of the state. But, a good friend of mine hunts in Cameron, WV and I've been to the farm that he hunts. The last 2 years they have been seeing NO deer on their farm. It's 150 acres and has good food and cover.

I'm not saying that this is representative of the entire area...but it's been pathetic in their area. I hunted there last fall and in 3 days I saw 2 deer and I was close to several white oaks that were droppin acorns.

I have a good friend who has 225 acres about 15 miles from Cameron. His place is run over with deer. Wetzel county is not known as a trophy area. But then most of WV is not known as trophy hunting country. But it has great hunting as long as you consider hunting with your friends and family in a friendly environment important. As we do. Tom.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tom...That's what I thought it would be like in Cameron. Maybe they have a problem with poaching or neighbors...I don't know.

When I hunted, there wasn't evenmuch sign in the area. Last fall it was like they disappeared from their area. His land is 2 miles from Cameron.