Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY Southern Tier regular opener >

NY Southern Tier regular opener

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Southern Tier regular opener

Old 03-01-2003, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Southern Tier regular opener

GUYS THE ONLY REASON TO CHANGE OPENING DAY FROM MONDAY TO SATURDAY, AND TO LOWER THE AGE BOILS DOWN TO ONLY ONE THING, AND ONE THING ONLY. THE ALL MIGHTY " $$$$$$$" NEW YORK, LIKE MY STATE OF NEW JERSEY HAS SEEN THE SELL OF LICENSES FALL, IN RETURN LESS " $$$$$" DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THE STATE WILL DO YOU AND I A FAVOR? ITS ALL ABOUT THEM, AND HOW TO GET MORE " $$$$$$$"
Old 03-03-2003, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, the reason for going to Saturday opener is in response to the state-wide meetings the DEC held, in which a large portion of the audience wanted Sat. opener in order to be able to hunt it. I like the traditional Monday open because its tradition. I am more than happy to take a few days off of work. I agree with huntal. I am also a bow hunter and like hunting up to opening day. Definitely wouldn' t want opener to go a week earlier (and I don' t belive they are suggesting that - it would be the Sat. before the normal opening Monday)

As far as reduced hunting age, I don' t think that the gun age needs to be reduced (and thats not what the proposed bill is - archery only) maybe 14 with adult. If they want to reduce archery, guess thats ok, but archery is difficult and think it may be a bit too difficult for 12 year olds (all aspects, physical & mental).

Are people also aware that they (DEC) may look to extend the muzzle loader season (into January?) and start the bow season a bit earlier (beginning Oct.). The more hunting the better, as far as I' m concerned.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a little snippet about hunter numbers...

The percentage of hunters is dropping drastically, but this is due to increasing population. In actuality, the number of US hunters has remained relatively stable over the past 20 years, somewhere near 14 million per year.

With that said, the reason behind pushing a younger age limit to hunt has to do with increasing the number of hunters. It has little to do with revenue---check and see how much a junior license costs---squat compared to what the average Joe pays.

Today' s youth are inundated with extracurricular opportunities, and by pushing opening days to a Saturday, some in the hunting field believe this is a way to get our youth re-involved in hunting.

You might take off from work to go on opening Monday, but how many parents allow their 12 year olds to miss school just to sit next to Dad while deer hunting??? Move that to a Saturday, and walla, the kids are in the woods, even if only as observers.

Same concepts were applied to Junior Opening Days, which make their first appearance here in CT this season. Can' t wait to get some of my friends' kids in the woods the first Saturday of May for turkeys...

Sometimes, you know, " they" actually impose new ideas to try and improve hunting and not just to make a buck...
Old 03-06-2003, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m against the saturday opener as well. The hunting camp get togethers over the weekend before the opener are tradition!! I also disagree with lowering the age to 12. While some kids are more mature at that age, there are alot who aren' t. That' s just my opinon.

The fact remains, in 1995 the DEC sold 750,00 hunting licenses, last year they sold 500,000!! Big drop!! Now you know why " OUR" licenses went up in price!!! To make up for the lost revenue form the loss of all those others bowing out!! What happens when the total drops even more? Are us hunters that remain, suppose to foot the dam bill!! BS!!!
[:@]
Old 03-06-2003, 09:04 AM

i have a place in chenango cty and we did not see the numbers this year as last ,it was foul weather and all but even sat wasnt bad ,we border brookfield forest and that sat we saw a few but not like past years ,i think the age limit is unjust as some kids are more mature and raised different than some .i think there should be a stronger hunter safety course where the instructors could say whether some one is eligable or not .here in jersey they will pass every kid with a little extra help ,i dont know if i like that as it maybe better off if the kid fails he must come back the next year or six months later ,we need to start the kids off right and send them down the right path .i dont want sat opener as i love the archery weekend before as i am the only one in camp who goes out i use the others to et them moving to my little corner of paradise and it has worked so far.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:17 PM
Fork Horn

If anything the regular season opener should be pushed back. If they want to open it on a weekend, they should open it Thanksgiving weekend.

A few reasons for this;

1. It will give bowhunters and extra week of peak hunting.
2. There are usually more guys in the woods Thanksgiving weekend as opposed to opening day anyway (from my experience)
3. People wouldn' t have to take off from work, as most are off that weekend.
4. Most importantly, the weather would be more cooperative. There would be a better chance for colder temps, and snow.

Jst my opinion on the matter.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:00 PM

yeah but it would be to close to pa opener and a lot of guys do both ,they might fear losing some non res fees