Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Wild Hogs in PA

Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Wild Hogs in PA

I was wandering if anyone here knows anything about hogs in PA. I found some stuff but nothing with a lot of info. i heard there are estimated 3000 wild hogs in pa, i'd like to get out and try to bag one. i also hear there in 11 counties, but can only find 4 or so listed.
Old 12-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Wild Hogs in PA

I believe the count of 4 counties is probably correct. Your bet bet would be to call the PGC and find out where they are. From what I gather, a few escaped I think somewhere in Cameron county but I could be wrong. Anyway, the PGC may be able to give you some info. I do know that the 2 WCOs I talk to told me that the PGC want to get rid of them before they get out of hand. Pigs multiply quickly.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

A friend of mine killed one in Tioga county near the P.A border this year.He was sitting on a drive with another guy and 12 of them came through.They each killed one and both were females.Each one had 8 piglets in them.Goes to show how fast they multiply.Believe me these are the last things we want around here.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:45 PM

The PGC website had some info on the before id ont knwo about now though. They had on there that they are not a game species and you do not need a license to hunt them for some reason i dont remember why. Im sure they will change that when a bunch of people start hunting them. As for stopping them from taking over that is not going to be easy at all. I lived in Alabama for a few years and they took over my moms 65 acres in about 6 months the place was destroyed.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:04 PM

I head there are hogs to hunt over in the NE corner of Bradford county..Not to far from Nichols,NY..
Windom Center or something like that..Heard there were lots of them in there.I know of 2 guys that went there hunting,but didn't have any luck..They said they could see where they had been in there ruttin around and the ground was all torn up as well..I will see if I can find out any more about it and post it on here...Might be interested in trying it myself with my musket loader...
Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM

There was an article in the Greensburgh Tribune Review about wild hogs in Summerset County and that they were on posted property and that the landowners were having a good time shooting them - but that they didn't want outsiders to come in and ruin their fun.

It sounded as much as a propoganda scheme to get hunters to go to a certain game lands looking for the wild hogs, maybe to get them to hunt there and stop complaining about not seeing any deer.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Theres a few running around my area in Somerset county. I personally know of 2 locals who have harvested one. I have yet to see one myself though I did find tracks a few years back small game hunting in the late season.