Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY deer survey please reply >

NY deer survey please reply

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY deer survey please reply

Old 12-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY deer survey please reply

http://www.tigersurvey.com/survey.php?survey=4271[/align][/align]I got this in an email. Please take the time to answer and maybe the state will listen. Thanks.[/align][/align]Josh[/align]
Old 12-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: NY deer survey please reply

Done...NY States deer management needs a drastic overhaul...I hope this survey helps.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for taking the time to set this up. Its time for a change in NYS...
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what exactly needs to be changed in NYS? I can see a few things that could use improvements but in general I think things run OK. We are losing hunters and private land to hunt is becoming hard to find, but I think this is more a sign of the times we live in and has little to do with how the DEC runs things.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

Things I would like to see changed and these are my opinions only...

One buck per hunter per year....you choose if it is archery or rifle.
Antler restrictions....Seems to be working in PA
Shorter gun season...I like how Illinois has 2 different 3 day long gun seasons..
Old 12-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

The DEC needs to look at Northern Tier DMP areas for one...For example I live and hunt in DMU 6G...This region not only encompasses the Lake Ontarioflood plain region wheredeer are likefleas on a dogbut also the Tug hill Plateau where we experience winter kill and a great deal of hunting pressure...Since the issuance of Doe permits we have gone from being selective of the deer we shoot to shooting the first deer you see cause it might be the only one you see...The deer herd on the Tug Hill plateau is all but depleted while the deer herd in the flood plains continues toflourish...We have gone from seeing aproximately 10-15 deer a day to being lucky to find a track...I have since leased property in the flood plain so I can atleast fill my freezer.

I am not a trophy hunter but I'd still like to see an antler restriction put in place...I've deer hunted for over 30 years and I've killed some good bucks butsomeday I'd like to get a buck worth mounting.

I'm not to sure about shortening the season...I love to be out there to much to have that time taken away...[:-]
Old 12-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

lets hope this helps
Old 12-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

i think that the gun season should be 2 weeks max. i also would like to see the archery open sooner and close later. just my opinion though. and i do hunt with both just so you dont think i hate gun hunters. i am one.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:45 AM

Done. Thanks for taking the time to set it up.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really don't think many changes are needed. I think doe permits need to be managed by region which is already being done. I think the legal age to hunt with ANY weapon should be 12 to keep youngsters interested in the sport. I do not support antler restriction rules in any way. The DEC's or any states game departments responsibilty is to manage deer numbers and NOT the number of antler points on a bucks antlers when it get's shot by a hunter. Managing deer numbers has NOTHING to do with antler size no matter what anyone tries to say. I see no reason to shorten the gun season either. If bowhunters can hunt for over two months, why can't gun hunters hunt a little over three weeks? I wouldn't mind seeing a mandatory rule for blaze orange to be worn during firearms season for deer. It amazes me how many people have so much confidence in their fellow man when they hunt in full camo during the gun season. I fully realize that one needs to identify their target before pulling the trigger, but go tell that to the other guys hunting around you who can't wait to get a shot at something!

Quick Reply: NY deer survey please reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.