Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 A friendly deer camp debate...about PA regs >

A friendly deer camp debate...about PA regs

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

A friendly deer camp debate...about PA regs

Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: A friendly deer camp debate...about PA regs

Me, personally, I would like to see them go back to three days for does. I know in some areas there are alot of deer but up here in warren county there arent as many deer as there used to be. I like the AR's and would like it even better when I get a buck....lol
Old 12-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Bradford county on private land.My friend who owns the property stopped shooting does 3 years ago and were finally starting to see deer in greater numbers again.Not the numbers that we used to see in the 80s and 90s but enough to see the herd coming back.I find it funny that all the guys i hear complaining of not seeing deer around where i hunt are the same ones that were walking around with 3 doe tags in there pocket when the PGC was passing them out like candy in our area.As far as seeing nicer bucks since ARs.All were doing is shooting them as 2 and a half year old 8 points instead of year and a half year old 4 points.There are some that make it past 2 1/2 but they are far and few between.Just my 2 cents/
Old 12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

The antler restrictions have made the bucks better. Period.

The overall herd reduction hasn't worked perfectly and it's been controversial but there's been more positive results than negative
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

Statewide I'm sure deer numbers are down. Just like one guy on here said, people bought doe tags like lottery tickets and now complain that there's no deer where they hunt. As for AR I've always thought they should have it and I enjoy it but I'm just off of the one guy on here and I wish they would go 3 points state wide. I've had some huge buck in the past 3 seasons that didn't have that 4th point or brow tine and those deer will live to be old bruisers that nobody can shoot (legally) yet that 2 1/2 yr. old basket rack will be dropped on the spot. Just my thought.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

So now it seems 2 1/2 year olds are being shot over the 1 1/2 year olds that used to get shot. So what is the difference in the scheme of things?? In reality nothing. Horn hunters now just have a little bigger rack to brag with, while the herd itself doesn't benefit at all. Whether a buck breeds with a doe at 1 1/2 years of age or 3 1/2 years of age the genetic makeup it passes is the same. AR's are put in place simply to try to make trophy hunters happy. As far as a management tool, it doesn't make one bit of difference since a states goal is to reduce deer numbers and they could care less how many points the bucks antlers have when it gets shot by a hunter. Of course they will try to justify it by some biological theories just so they don't have to admit that they are only doing it to keep the horn hunters happy. That surely wouldn't look good to the non-hunters who are looking in on all this.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Spike

In my neck of the woods the deer are far and few between.. I like the ar .. the buck i see are bigger 2.5 every once and a while you see a 3.5 or4.5 ... but the does are really hurting where i hunt ...i feel that the only way to manage the deer is with check stations and that way you can see what they are killing ....if i shoot a deer that fine but if not i don't mind it..but they claim that the less deer the bigger the buck which the one place i hunt they shoot everything and ever year they get a few big ones out of there...i think that people can;t relie on the pgc to manage the deer..they will give all kinda tags away and guys buy them all up and then b#tch about the no deer...and now with the herd down here anyways and we get that ehd and lose 200,000 deer then what??? even fewer deer ... just what i think
Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 PM

I hunt in 4c on public land. I hunted for 14 days(archery and rifle)and sat in about 6 different stands in previous great cover. I saw 7 deer in total. Still looking for a rub. 2 Doe. The land is public and is around 15000 acres. The farmers came in 3-4 years ago with pockets full of tags and shot dozens of deer every opener. Same stands I always saw at least 10 deer a day in archery.

I agree with the herd reduction, but the public land brown it goes down is hitting the public land hard. I probably talked to 25 hunters the 4rd evening of rifle season and I bet 20 didn't see 1 deer. We may have gone a little far.

My opinion. Allocate the doe tags to public/private land. I live in an area where it is all private and I bet 18 out of 20 days while driving to work I see deer.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM

BTW I bought doe tags and bonus tags over the past 5 years just to keep them away from the slaughter.

No Doe hunting for me on public land. I am afraid I might shoot the last one.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

AR is a joke http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...5&q=151987
Old 12-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

There hasnt been a PGC official scoring session since the AR's came in. I beleive budget problems are cited as the reason.

The PGC would do well to get off the few dollars it would take to have another scoring session

Quick Reply: A friendly deer camp debate...about PA regs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.