Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 PA opener advice >

PA opener advice

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA opener advice

Old 11-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: PA opener advice

Last year they were rutting hard during the opener. The Saturday before, we watched two nice bucks battling for about 20 minutes while we were 20 yards away in the truck. About 5 minutes into into it, a nice 8-pointer came running over and stood and watched the other two. Mean while, a small buck was chasing a couple of does around the field. Two of my buddy's watched their bucks rubbing trees before they got their clear shot. The one from our camp still had bark on his forehead when he was dropped off at the taxidermist. The rut was late last year and I think it will be again this year.

Unless your area is heavily pressured, I wouldn't hesitate to do a little grunting. Especially on opening morning.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA opener advice

ORIGINAL: mauser06

sproulman...funny you mention burying your deer guts...

that is exzactly what happend to our hot spot..we seen 20-30 deer every opener and saturday mornings in that spot for a few years. we had snow the one year. we put down 2 doe and my first buck by 9am..dragging before 930. never thought about dragging out with snow...but the next year we were setup there dang near 2 hours before light(state game lands) half hour before light a whole herd of flashlights came...we shined ours and gave them a little holler..lights went out...broke light and we were completely surrounded. havent been back since. this spot is well over a mile hike from the road too...only ever saw a couple guys back there, and they were guys like us, that hunted it yearly...we talked to them each year..funny, that last year we hunted there, the regulars werent there.

good ole PA for ya...gotta love it. still have a love for rifle season...but the past 2 bow seasons ive hunted have been pretty nice...only 1 run in with a guy that wanted to fight.
yes, i had incident last year and 1 year before.
hunters put stand up on sat before opener and sayTHIS IS MY SPOT.
then they wiggle flashlights at you,no wonder they get shot out of tree.

people have got to understand that NO SPOT even if you have been there for 43 years ,like me, belongs too me.
i dont like all new hunters in my spot also,i hunt 20 yds from some,they dont like it,i dont also but i am not leaving.

just because stand, ribbon,or getting in their at 1 am,ha, yes some do that,this does not nmean its your spot..

if a hunter is 100 yds away from your stand on ground, your stand is useless,his stink will chase ole buck out.

this is why i enjoy archery season more now BUT deer are much more harder to get as no one is pushing them..

i used to go where no one was, i saw very few deer.
if i hunt where everyone is, I SEE DEER.

so, i live with it but i do believe that more trouble is on way for us hunters unless we start acting like sportsmen..
i was even told not to report these a holes that threaten you because ANTI-HUNTERS will use that against us hunters.
they may do that but you cant let these slobsthreaten you in woods .
i had LOCAL guy i know flip out on me because i was 50 yds from him hunting phesants,he said birds were all his.

as game get less,GREED will take over.
but DONT let these people chase you out of woods,dont answer them, dont wiggle lights at them, dont give them any reason to react, just go and set in your spot 20 yds from them,eat sandwich and enjoy day.

oh,by the way, i shot a huge 8 point last year 20 yds from 2 hunters in 2 different tree stands in the SPOT i have hunted for 43 years.
i even got threatening note from them to prove it..

GOOD DAY!