Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Opening Day Rituals >

Opening Day Rituals

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Opening Day Rituals

Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opening Day Rituals

My hunting crew has a few of them, some are probably a bit strange. Thought might be a fun topic to help pass the time for the next few days till the season begins here in NY.

Let me preface my list as most of these came from my crazy brother-in-law who got me into hunting.

1.) Must eat Jingles Cookies Opening morning for good luck (not sure if deer are attracted to anise breath)
2.) Have to watch Jeff Foxworthy's unofficial Deer hunter for the millionth time
3.) Have to listen to some crazy comedy cd my brother-in-law has where they go on and on about some thirty pointer.
3.) Got to touch the nose of the big 12 point buck mount hanging in my dad's cabin before you head out for luck. (not sure how lucky the deer was as he was hit by a car, but worked for me last year and got me a 10pt so why mess with tradition)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opening Day Rituals

In my hunting camp:
1. Sharpening your knife the day before the season opens.
2. Not shaving that morning.
3. Wearing blaze orange socks.
4. Carry a silver coin during the hunt.
5. Don't have a tape measure in your backpack.

For some reason, these seem to work.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Wake up, drink coffee, and go #2. The key to success is going #2 before you leave.

Otherwise I don't believe in luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wake up, drink coffee, and go #2. The key to success is going #2 before you leave.
I know several guys who shot deer while they had their pants down around their ankles. I have also taken deer when I had to do #2 in the woods. Yeah, it would be better to do it before you go out hunting for several reasons, but don't think you won't see deer if you have to do it while out hunting. My only recommendation is to have your gun within arms length when you are going!

Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Well, since I started hunting late in my life, the hunting ritual is in its infancy. This will be the second year at camp since it was built. So last year a buddy and I invited a good neighbor over with his uncle to play poker. They decided to also bring a friend "Jack Daniel's" along. Needless to say, the bottle and a case of beer was consumed (not to mention my pocket was lined with a little extra cash at the end ). My buddy & I were up at 4:30 AM sharp, my neighbor and his uncle appartenly didn't get up til 6 AM. Don't think they'll want to continue that ritual, unless we minus the drinking.

However, I did get my first buck ever, a 4 pointer. Nothing great to most, but it was my first, just like my first lay! LOL. Think I'm telling you all too much already.

Johnny, I think I may have to rub the nose of my little buck in hope's of getting his granddad! My start that ritual this year.

Good topic, looking forward to more replies.

PS, Good luck to all NY'ers this weekend, hope to hear on the two way radio, BBD!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

My first year i took a shot with myfather toa good hunting season anddidn'tsee a deer all season. Ill never touchedgoldschlager again.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

saturday, we bow hunt during the morning, do some last minute scouting, blind preperation, etc. Sunday we shoot in rifles, relax, maybe make a few cast and try and catch a wild trout or two for dinner. Make dinner over the wood stove, drink a few cold ones, tell some stories, and turn in. Get up early, make breakfast, decide whos hunting where, and head out.