Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 NY hunting report... >

NY hunting report...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY hunting report...

Old 11-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default NY hunting report...

guy's i'm not doing that good this season which is nearing it's end and it has me wondering? have not seen a shooter buck yet this season and it seems like the doe numbers are down too?

my wifes aunt who has a bird feeder and starts to feed heavy this time of year to help the little birdies survive winter says she has never seen so few deer come to her feeder, she says there's only one doe and a fawn, and i remember just a few years back counting up to a dozen deer back there?

the part that gets me is that they are giving out doe permits in the 3m area like they have never before, and have said how the herd is coming back. the last 4 seasons have been the worst in my 35 years of hunting with this year taking the prize for horrible!

i've put more hours on the stand this season than ever before and have never seen so few deer, i'm going to start covering land in the upcoming rifle season and hope that i'm seeing something more exciting than i've seen this bow season. i hate to sound like a crybaby but i'm putting in the time, got stands everywhere, talking to the local boys and it all stinks[/align]
Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY hunting report...

I've hunted hard and passed one 3pt at about 15 yds have yet to have a good opportunity at a doe and I've been in the stand according to my log approx 38 hrs hopefully this colder weather in conjunction with the rut gets them up and moving.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Spike

I was out in southern Dutchess this morning and the bucks had the does on the run all morning.On two separate occasions, I saw a big 6 and a smaller 8 and they were each chasing down and totally harassingdoes, but they were out of range. I later had an 20 yd. opportunity at a spike (also chasing does), but I passed in hopes of seeing one of the other two again. Of course I didn't see them , but that's ok, it was still fun to watch. I'll be going back tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

I may try to get in another day at the DEP property off of Rt 301 :
I was up on the first week almost had a shot at a Big Big doe from the ground:But the standoff was me against 3 does one was a mature doe that was alert and she won the toss
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM

unit 8h and 8n are full of deer i see deer every time on stand and have had oppurtunites on 6's and 8's.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sits in trees

guy's i'm not doing that good this season which is nearing it's end and it has me wondering? have not seen a shooter buck yet this season and it seems like the doe numbers are down too?

my wifes aunt who has a bird feeder and starts to feed heavy this time of year to help the little birdies survive winter says she has never seen so few deer come to her feeder, she says there's only one doe and a fawn, and i remember just a few years back counting up to a dozen deer back there?

the part that gets me is that they are giving out doe permits in the 3m area like they have never before, and have said how the herd is coming back. the last 4 seasons have been the worst in my 35 years of hunting with this year taking the prize for horrible!

i've put more hours on the stand this season than ever before and have never seen so few deer, i'm going to start covering land in the upcoming rifle season and hope that i'm seeing something more exciting than i've seen this bow season. i hate to sound like a crybaby but i'm putting in the time, got stands everywhere, talking to the local boys and it all stinks
[/align]
Sounds like the same season I've been having!!This is with out a doubt, is the worst bowseason I ever seen!!

This morning was the first time this season, that I seen a buck chasing a doe and grunting at the same time!! Problem is they were 75 yards away,and thenthe wind shifted, they winded me and went back the same direction that they came in from!!! Never drew my bow back all season on a buck!! I'm now all out of vacation time for the bowseason, and have to go back to work tomorrow morning. Soooooooo that's it for the 2007 season for me!!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:07 PM

It all depends on the area that you live in. Basically, how hard they get hit each season. It is funny how things can vary in just a couple miles. Where I am in 8N, there are definately more deer than there have been the last 2 years. But there are quite a few yearling bucks and very few mature deer. But more deer none the less and i hope a lot of these stupid 1.5 year old bucks find a way to live. Cuz right now they are running wild ..... and dumb
Old 11-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Ive been seeing a lot of does and just one buck .
Almost dashavoo from last season ???
Old 11-10-2007, 07:35 AM

I've seen 12 does a small spike, and a small 8 pointer which I let walk everytime I've gone out. I shot a big doe a couple weeks ago. I think all the bucks in the area are either dead or haven't started rutting yet. I got one more day for bow to get out and then it's time to pick up the smokepole.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My archery woods is the most confusing I've seen in several yrs. Scraping & rubs never showed up until last wknd. Its about 2 wks behind normally. I've hunted morning & night 6 days this wk., and still have yet to see any chasing. I have passed on 4 deer, 3 small bucks, and a doe that still had 2 small fawns with her yet. All I've seen is these small scrub bucks wandering, and a few doestill with fawns. This wknd I didn't see any fresh scrapes, so that'd lead me to believe the doe have come intoestrous. But seeingthem with their fawns yet, tells me they haven't. I have NO clue whats going on right now!! Or where the mature bucks have gone.

Quick Reply: NY hunting report...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.