Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 The quest for antlers >

The quest for antlers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: A poll
Let every deer walk till it is P&Y size
15.79%
Meat hunter
34.21%
On stand decision whether to shoot or not
50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

The quest for antlers

Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default The quest for antlers

I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but after recent replies to some other posts, I have to ask. Is the quest for a buck with really large antlers that is considered " mature " really the reason we spend so many countless hours 20 ft up a tree or is it to enjoy nature and the thrill of matching wits with one of the greatest game animals there is. Please do not lose sight of the big picture here, it is good to let the deer mature to take a " trophy ". Although I think every deer taken is a trophy in someones book. It does not matter whether it ever makes it to the wall for me or if it has huge antlers, it is the story and the thrill of the chase that keeps me coming back year after year. Just my thoughts, tell me where you stand as hunters
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The quest for antlers

Yes to both. A mature buck is the greatest game animal to match wits with. A 1 1/2 old buck is not. The love of being outdoors and seeing all thier is to offer keeps me in a tree when I have no expectation of shooting a mature buck. The strong desire to shoot a mature buck keeps me on stand in less than desirable conditions,when i am tired, when I drive 2 hours just to hunt for 4. You can have the thrill of the chase without mowing down every young buck you encounter....and you will encounter so much more the woods have to offer when you are holding out.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Spike

you are a true hunter rybo thanks for the input, and as always shoot straight and often
Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

i just want 1.. after my first.. ill decide to get picky or not...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

i looking for atleast 2 1/2 year old deer, preferrably 3 1/2, 8 point, wider than the ears.

thats my personal preference, dont disagree with what anyone is looking for. a shooter buck to me is probably not a shooter to others, and vise versa. shoot what makes you happy.

good luck!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The older I get the less I care about antlers. To me they are nothing more than objects that are making hunting an expensive pastime that might one day get out of reach for the average person. The only real value to them is to those who seem to want them so that they can have something to brag about and show off. Like anyone in this modern world other than trophy hunters will ever be impressed by them anyway! I enjoy eating and cooking venison and my only reason for hunting is to try to get a deer or two for the freezer. I don't need to go to the woods during hunting season to enjoy nature and to just look at deer. This I could do at anytime of the year if I so choose.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I passed up a 1.5 year old ten point before.
It's reallyNOT the antlers. Big antlers just happen to come on older bucks is all.
When you see a 1.5 year old and a 3.5 or better, the intelligence level can't be compared.
It's a maturing of the hunter more than anything.
I get no thrill out of taking young deer anymore.
I don't have to take a deer every year. That's not why I go.
But then again I never hunted for the meat.
I know some guys really enjoy the eating of venison, and that's great.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shott8283

i just want 1.. after my first.. ill decide to get picky or not...
Been there. I understand those thoughts.
I hope you get one, whatever it is!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

i hunt for meat
Old 10-30-2007, 11:03 AM

you cant eat the rack. Sure shooting a big buck would be nice.. but in some areas regardless of what you do you wont get a bunch of 170's running around. If it scores around 100... Ill shoot it..

Quick Reply: The quest for antlers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.