Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 The quest for antlers >

The quest for antlers

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.
View Poll Results: A poll
Let every deer walk till it is P&Y size
15.79%
Meat hunter
34.21%
On stand decision whether to shoot or not
50.00%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

The quest for antlers

Old 10-30-2007, 11:24 AM

Default RE: The quest for antlers

dthfrmabouve
I don't know about waiting for a Pope & Young size but I do hold out for a big one. I hunt for horns and I am proud of that. Those of you that hunt for meat, good for you and have at it.My last buck was good sized 10 pointer and when I got him back to parking lot I was unable to get him in the truck by myself. A first for me and I had to wait for for someone else to comeand help. Luckly it was then end of the day and I didn't have to wait long.After we got him on the truck, the guy that helped me called one of the others that had just got back over to look at him. That S.O.B.walked over and snarled " can't eat horns " and walked away. He couldn't even say nice deer or congradulations. As he walked away I told him "yes ,but I get to eat and share themeet and I still have the antlers to put on the wallto look at and recall the hunt".[:-]LOSER!!!![:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 10-30-2007, 12:10 PM

CCPAHunter.. That guy needs an etiquette lesson. I shot a 6 pointer one year small rack, but big body.. I had a heck of a time getting him into my truck.. and I was 19 at the time..
Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

at this stage in the game for me, antlers just gotta be bigger than the last one i killed.

i will say that till i kill a real biggun lol...then i will change my standards...

this year was my first year to kill one with a bow. i see myself as a bowhunter now more than anything. gun hunting just lost its spark for me. i took a 10" wide 6pt this year..still proud as heck and will always be. but next year, i will be looking for something slightly bigger.

to me, theres alot more to hunting than antlers though...like yesterday...im tagged out buckwise...but still went out JUST to enjoy the seeking/chasing phase and the beautiful fall weather..i got the pleasure of watching a 6pt for about 20 minutes...awesome to get to sit there and watch a deer be a deer...eating, sniffing, scratching, licking, stretching...it was awesome. things like that dont get old...

or opening day when i watched a redtailed hawk nail a bird right out of the air...boy that was sweet...hes my buddy..lives in my honey hole and i see him everytime im in there..

theres alot more to life than big antlers...but like rybo said, they just make the time spent alot more enjoyable...i try not to miss anything...weather its a squirrel knocking down acorns or a fox hunting for a meal...

i often think about how many sunsets i have had the pleasure of watching JUST because i hunt...and how many people in the world has never heard the woods wake up in the morning...every morning i get to listen to the woods awaken i cannot get over it...its awesome...

one day i will wind up hunting for big antlers...but i always try to remember the little things...

if you sit out there JUST waiting for that big buck to come, i think that would be boring, stressful, not fun, and would most likely burn you out quick...
Old 10-30-2007, 02:55 PM

i can care less about the antlers i actually eat the meat so i look at the most mass, but it would be very cool to have a got 10pt. deer come in shooting range
Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 AM

mauser06
In my younger days I use to take the first legal buck to come along and if that happened at 7:00 am.on opening morning my season was over. We only had a few days at camp and I always hoped I would get my deer on the last day because I loved sitting in the solitued on a cold blustery mountain full of anticipation. Now waiting for a bigger deer just means more time in the woods on stand. I, like yourself feel sorry for the people that never get to hear the woodsawaken in the morning and feel the first warming rays of sunshine. I love being twenty feet up and having to look down through the slats of my stand to see the deer that has no clueas to my presense or to watch a fox pouncing on a mouse or have a hawk land in the tree a few feet away.Have you ever been on stand when the beech trees drop their leaves ? They drop almost at once and it's like golden rain especially if the sun is shining on them. No, there is no burn out or boardom you see because I do not have to get a deerbut I DOhave to be in the woods this time of year. I have to take care of some business this morning and then I will be hunting this afternoon and every day untilthe end of our bow season. ENJOY BUD
Ken