Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Rut getting close in PA >

Rut getting close in PA

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Rut getting close in PA

Old 10-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Rut getting close in PA

Was out this morning. Activity picking up. First light had a 4 pt under my tree for a solid 15 mins. Couldn't put brow tines on that bugger. About 7:45 had a spike buck chasing a doe past my stand 3 times. I think the rut may start to peak in about a week or so.
Also saw my usual bunch of squirrels and flock of turkey.
Beautiful morning to be out. Just wish the temp would drop a bit.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Rut getting close in PA

I disagree that the real rut is soon here. Most of the breeding will take place in November. In past years I have always seen some chasing going on, but not deer seriously rutting until November.

Great sign of things to come. If that doe was in heat you would have seen the big guys that are laying low in your area.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is going to be some good pre-rut activity this year for sure. There are rubs and scrapes all over this year already. Last few years there was very little scrape activity all season. As far as the rut peaking soon, don't bet on it. Your talking a month early and that would spell bad news for the fawn crop. You don't want fawns dropping before the spring green up. Coyotes bears and bobcats would find every last one. Looks like they are gonna do some good chasing this year is all. I can't wait to get out there finally.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

right now I'd just be happy with fall like temps.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:36 PM

I am finally going out this Saturday. Had today on the schedule, but didn't want to walk in and climb up in 85 degree temps. i did that on the first day withe the lightest clothes I could find and changed at the stand and I was still hot and soaked all afternoon. Letting the deer have some time off before I put the smackdown on them.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 PM

I disagree as well. No on what you saw, but on the actual real hot and heavy Rut won't start till after the 26th, probably the first full week in november. Ive seen a few small bucks of in the distance sparring but seen the a few nice ones, and they don't respond to any calls rattling, dont give a darn about does yet nothing. Just what ive been seeing and feelings are here in SE PA. Was nice to see some deer that close eh? Good luck to ya this year. maybe that 4pt's daddy will come along
Old 10-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Last night around 1 am I seen 5 bucks on the way home.. No doe, All bucks.. Something is going on here I believe also..They was all moving and not feeding I have to say also..
Old 10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The rut will peak the same time it does every year, and that won't be in the next 2 weeks.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: germain

right now I'd just be happy with fall like temps.
I agree with that...
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, I read all your posts and I don't think the will probably peak in Nov. but it will start the end of this month. Last year I hunted at least 3 days a week and didn't see much activity until the last week of archery which was the first week in Nov. The rut doesn't go by calendar dates but by the full moon see below. Last year it was Nov 5th. This year however, looking at the moon phases from last year to this year I am guessing that it will peak right aroundOct 26th. I could be wrong - but I will be out there right up until I leave for my elk hunt in WY onOct. 30th.
I guess this little buck is trying to get a little action early but by the looks of that doe, she didn't want anything to do with him.
From the PA Game Comm: To date, the study results show more than 90 percent of our adult female deer were pregnant, and bred between late October and early December, prior to the start of the statewide rifle season. Pennsylvania deer breeding, overall, peaked in mid-November, in the closing days of the archery season and into Thanksgiving week. Most first-year females - fawns born in the spring of the same year - were bred in early December when they reach sexual maturity.
Charlie Alsheimer: A Northern doe's estrogen level peaks around November 1 as does a buck's sperm count. With both sexes poised to breed, it stands to reason a mechanism must be in place if the doe is to enter estrus and be bred under the darker phases of the moon, which are the third through first quarters. That mechanism in the North (north of about the 35th latitude) is usually the second full moon after the autumnal equinox, which I call the rutting moon.

Quick Reply: Rut getting close in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.