Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Big bear shot in Maine.. >

Big bear shot in Maine..

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Big bear shot in Maine..

Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Big bear shot in Maine..

About a week and a half ago a big bear was shot up this way. It had to be quartered up to be brought out. When put on the scales it went 605 lbs. This was not a bear that hung around a dumpster but was up in the woods about 50 miles from nowhere. The bear went to bait and the guys dogs picked up the trail. After running it for a few miles the bear went to the water.(This has happened to another guide before and chase ended.) They went into the water and found the bear with only it's head sticking up out of it. Chase again went on and when the bear hit the land that's when they shot it. After trying to drag it for about an hour they sent a call out to the warden service who told them they could cut it up enough to carry it out. They skinned it out and quartered it to bring it out. Now a few deer and moose will be thankfullthis one is off their backs...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big bear shot in Maine..

I really doubt black bears take too many deer or moose. Maybe if they were somehow injured they would be able to catch them, but I somehow doubt a 600 lbs bear would have much of a chance catching up with one. He must have had a good food source nearby somewhere, because not too many grow to that size without eating some sort of human garbage.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:21 PM

A big bear like that could easily eat a deer for dinner. I have heard from a few different hunters who have seen the chase and kill by a big black bear.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

Go on youtube and see for yourself. They have videos of bears taking moose and calves. Despite their size a black bear is capable of running as fast as a deer and for much longer distances. Dont let their size fool you. A bear can be a very efficient killer.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a big Maine bear! They do eat alot of deer, but usually fawns...
Old 10-09-2007, 04:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really doubt black bears take too many deer or moose. Maybe if they were somehow injured they would be able to catch them, but I somehow doubt a 600 lbs bear would have much of a chance catching up with one.
Guess what they surely do!!! Here they have seen them take them down more than once. In the fall when they get them it is not uncommon for them to bury them in leaves. Then on a warm winters day come out of hybernation and have a lunch with them. Also here back about 14 years ago they tried to reintroduce the Woodland Caribou and the biggest killer of them was in fact bears. The project was dropped and it has been decided not to tryit ever againas it was a big waste of resources..
Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't say that (black) bears can't kill a deer or moose, just that it probably happens WAY less than most people think. Why is it that bears love to hang out around dumps and other man mad garbage? Why is baiting one of the most successful methods of hunting them? Because they are opportunists that prefer to scavange than actually hunt. Sure they will kill something if the opportunity presents itself, but they typically kill WAY less than animals such as coyotes, wolves or mountain lions.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM

Wow. Thats a big bear.