Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Maine Bear Hunt

Old 05-04-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Maine Bear Hunt

Hello everyone,

I'm starting to plan a bear hunt in Maine, and doing some research online, have come across two guides that have peaked my interest. I know that I can get testimonials from their websites, but I was wondering if anyone here as heard anything about them.

My first pick is Foggy Mountain

And my second (so far) is Gary's Guide Service

Thanks for any info anyone may have.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Maine Bear Hunt

Kriesis, Sorry but I can't tell you about either of those two. What I can tell you is that I went to Maine two years and came away with a bear each year. My guide started baiting his sites a while before we got there and I got there a couple days before season and went out with him and was able to see that in two days just about every one of his sites were hit. There were between 6 and 10 hunters in camp both years and everyone had a great time both at camp and in the woods. Some advice I can give you is that if you have ANY question at all before going, ASK IT!!!!

My experiences in Maine will never be forgotten.......

Good Luck with your hunt.....
Old 05-04-2005, 01:04 PM

if you want to head a little further north, i would recommend mirachici inn (?)....top class accomdations, excellent food, tons of bears and great time....if you are interested private message and i can give you all the details but it is in New Brunswick
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM

Check out PBguide service. Hunted a couple years ago and it was awesome. He has a area that no other guides can use, and his site advertises around 230 different baits. Food is from lobster dinner to hamburgers and all freshly cooked. Only have hunted one time with no other experiences of bear guides, I would go back to PB's again in a heartbeat. Good luck....................Mitch
Old 05-05-2005, 02:53 PM

William Spencer Twin River Guide Service
HCR 71 Box 204
Machias ME 04654
207-255-4949,
[email protected]
Licenses: Master, Hunting, Fishing & Rec Guide
Description: Hunting for bear over bait or with hounds. Bobcat, coyote, moose and snowshoe hare hunting. Fishing for Bass, Salmon and Trout.

I have hunted with Bill a few times now and many of my friends have as well. Smaller operation, but you are well taken care of. Very large bears for Maine as his area is closer to the coast than most outfits. He starts early on his baits and doesn't run hounds till after the bait guys come through, an important question to ask. For the price, you can't beat him. He has very high success rates and his smaller bears are around the 200 lb mark. Potential for over 350 lbers .. but they are not common. I have seen 3 bears over 350 from my group of 6 over the last few years. Seems the average is 220 to 250 which is high for Maine.

Just a thought on the locations of the 2 outfitters you are looking at. That area is where most outfits run from (central maine). I personally have found larger bears in the coastal areas and far northern sections. Good luck and by doing your homework you can get a good deal in a great area.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the info, I'll definately keep that in mind!