Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 10 hour Hunter Safety Course! - NY >

10 hour Hunter Safety Course! - NY

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

10 hour Hunter Safety Course! - NY

Old 10-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 10 hour Hunter Safety Course! - NY

Took the NYS Hunter Saftey Course with my 12 year old - Overall - it was a good experience - my son did well, and learned a good bit. 10 hours seemed really long to methough! Seems like we could do that in a 3-4 hour course - 1 night.

I was really surprised how many people dropped off their 12-16 year old kidsinstead of staying there with them. I was sure some were going to fail for goofing off. I was also surprised how REALLY BADLY some off the adults taking the course were at shooting straight away clay pigeons - YIKES.

FH
Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 AM

Default RE: 10 hour Hunter Safety Course! - NY

That course could be covered in probably one our. When i took it i think it was longer than 10 hrs. The bow course was 8hrs, again which could have been covered in 1.

You got to shoot clay pigeons? we never did anything like that, then again i took it on long island.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:52 AM
Typical Buck

I am planning to take my 11y/o any tips? I took mine about 35 years ago in Boy Scouts.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

my son took his course a couple of weeks ago and passed his with flying color's. what seemed to help him was that several weeks leading up to the course i took him out for some good old fashioned one on one practice in the proper handling of a fire arm...... carry,loading,unloading,ect... i also had him practice getting into a tree stand,hauling up his gear,ect... i felt that if he could do all of this hand's on sitting in a classroom hearing about it would make it more understand able. best of luck to your kid and with that.....you will get a great hunting partner
Old 10-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Host of Hosts

I just took a Bow Hunting Course in PA. Not for hunting in Pa, but to hunt archery in NY or other states in the future. It was 9 hrs. Could have been half that.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

I tookboth courses3 years ago (hunters safety and bowhunting), actually have taken the bow course twice now(took it once in scouts like 15 years ago and couldn't find the certificate and forgot I had taken it.) The course I definitely think could be condensed down. We did get to shoot at clay targets and got some hands on tree stand safetydemos. I hate any course/class where you have to read along with the book. Just give me the book I'll read it overnight comeback the 2ndday and take the test.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 PM

I have mine coming right up. Im hoping its pretty good all in all and not just and extremely boring 10hrs.