Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
 Gander Mt in Trouble? >

Gander Mt in Trouble?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Gander Mt in Trouble?

Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default Gander Mt in Trouble?

I keep hearing rumors that Gander Mt stores aren't doing so well. I hope this is false info as I enjoy the store here in my hometown.

Does anyone have any details?
Old 09-27-2007, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gander Mt in Trouble?

I've heard the same rumors. I think it's because their stock hasn't done very well.The store in Tonawanda, NY looks great becasuethey are just finishing up remodeling. My store locally has a bettter selection than Dick's Sproting Goods and their personnel are better trained. I like it a lot more...plus they have a range to practice up to 30 yards for about $5.00.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have often wondered how long retailers like Cabela's will remain profitable also. They seem to be getting richer since they are opening more and more stores throughout the country, but I think the novelty of these stores may start wearing off soon and then reality might start setting in. With fewer and fewer participating in sports like hunting and fishing, I just can't see their success lasting forever. It was one thing when they were mail-order only, not as much overhead goes into that, but running the retail stores can be costly. At the same time their prices are getting quite high. I do like Cabela's a great deal and they surely have the greatest customer service in the world, but I hope they aren't biting off more than they could chew with all these new stores and the tremendous volume of glossy catalogs they keep sending people that has got to cost them a fortune also!

Old 09-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, I agree with you for the most part but the western part of the US doesn't have to many Cabelas or Bass Pro so lot of people rely on their local Sporting goods stores or they use the internet to purchase items from the big three, I also agree the prices are high on some items but others you can get good deals in store. I've been to the Gander mtn in Fredricksburg VA and it was nice smaller that the Bass Pro in Baltimore but the prices were better than bass Pro.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:39 AM

Do you guys think the fact that Gander Mountain does not have a web site that sells their products like Cabela's and Bass Pro that is hurting them? Does anyone know what the deal is with the reason that Gander doesn't have a web site with all their merchandise. Someone had told me that Cabela's purchased their catalog and web site??? I don't know if I should believe that or not.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear the Gander Mt in Plattsburg NY is going to close. Too bad if it does because all that is left is D i c k s which sucks.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:44 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

As I heard it, originally Cabela's bought the rights to GM's mail order business. That deal is about to expire so we shall see what happens.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Host of Hosts

Well I went to both Dick's Sporting goods and Gander Mountain today to look at 2 specific items. They were both in stock at Gander Mountain.
I then headed to Dick's to look at the same 2 items. They too had the items, but one was 1.00 cheaper and the other was 3.60 cheaper. Where do you think I spent my money? I have noticed Gander Mountain doesn't have nearly the traffic (cars in their lot) as they once did. They lost alot of my business when last year I wanted a Scent Blocker Coat. I went in and grabbed one they had in a large ( the only one) I noticed the coat was without factory tags so I grabbed another one in x large for the cashier to ring out. I then noticed that the buttons and zippers on the large were rubbed off a bit. I asked them to call the manager
to see if I could get a discount due to the coat clearly being usedand restocked. He wouldn't budge on the price. Finally I said forget it I'm not paying full price for a used coat and he then offered 5% off. I laughed at him and said that that coat shouldn't have even been put back on the shelf. So I'm sure it was again restocked and some poor guy who wasn't as observant bought it probably at full price. That kind of businees practice for me is enough to send me shopping elsewhere.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Was just at the Gander Mountain in Tonawanda, NY today actually, stopped there after checking D I C K's Sporting Goods. Got myself a popup hunting blind for $40, (much cheaper then the cheapest $70 one at D I C K's.) The selection and prices I find are a lot of the time better at gander mountain, I sure hope they stay around for awhile, at least until Bass Pro comes into Buffalo (if that every happens).
Old 10-01-2007, 05:24 PM

my guess for that blind being cheaper is prolly because gander mtn gets a discount because theyll buy more in bulk i believe. i look at my local side stores round here. the things they sell there are way higher then say a cabelas or bass pro. i believe its because they dont recive a discount as big as the bigger retail stores do.

Quick Reply: Gander Mt in Trouble?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.